Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Stripes on scanned negatives

I'm curious what could be the cause of the stripes such as the one in the photo below. I don't have much experience troubleshooting defects such as this one.

I got a used pz-1p (it's such a nice camera), shot two rolls, sent them for processing, then scanned the film myself. Some of the pictures that I scanned have a dark band. It's always exactly in the same place. The first roll (in the order in which I used them) seems to have it more at the beginning, the second roll doesn't have any pictures with this band. I'm guessing that it was some grime on the camera's rollers that interacted with the emulsion?

I'm almost certain that my scanner is fine (flatbed, epson v370), it's never happened before. Re-scanning the same picture doesn't change the result. I can't see anything with the naked eye on the negative, but then again, I'm not expecting to be able to see such a small defect without some magnification.

Thanks for any suggestions!

05-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to go with scanning problem. That will show as a light line on the negative - if it was on the negative. Chances are, it's not on the negative.
05-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
Forum Member

Run the scanner with no film in it to see if the issue shows up. A scanner with a moving carriage will turn a single speck of dust or grime in the wrong place into a line on the image as the bit the does the scanning moves around
05-22-2018, 10:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Or turn the negative to a different orientation, such as 90 degrees rotate or flipped over.

05-22-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Scratch on negative extending beyond the frame?

This is commonly caused by piece of sand the light trap of the canister or a rough spot on the pressure plate.

As for rollers, there are none. The only part of the film that contacts the camera body is the sprocket edge and the non-emulsion side at the pressure plate.

Steve
05-23-2018, 01:20 AM   #6
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Happened to me with an Epson scanner as well.
Carrying it to the shop made the issue go away, so the technician would not even have believed me, if I didn't have the files to prove it.
Probably some kind of particle on the sensor that simply fell off while transporting it.
05-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I understand, (having a similar Epson), the small area above the negative holder on the flatbed has to be absolutely clean, as it is the self-calibration area.

I had a few weird issues with lines myself, and cleaning that area on the flatbed resolved the issue.

Before cleaning:

After cleaning:

Last edited by timw4mail; 05-23-2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Add example images
05-23-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just scanning some color negs last night on my Epson V550 and had the same issue. A couple rescans, same issue. And not on all the scans, only a couple frames from the same strip. One last scan later, no more stripe. So it seems like a crap shoot at least with my V550.

FWIW, I haven't noticed a problem with BW scans, only color. Also, I have digital ICE turned on.

05-23-2018, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all for all the great suggestions, I think I got it. After carefully inspecting the negatives for scratches and confirming they're fine, I think it has to do with the calibration area mentioned by timw4mail. For my scanner, it's a small rectangular window aligned with the strip of film, it has a stop sign next to it. I found a spec of dust in that area after seeing the stripes in preview, and removing it with an air blower resulted in clean scans.
05-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to hear you have it sorted!