Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Film Canisters

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just putting this out there i would like to collect about 50 of the film canisters , the ones that are black with gray lids if anyone has any could you help a lady out, they are for a project for xmas this year for underprivileged kids, not even sure these still exsist but i figured if they did you guys would know,

06-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not grey lids, but black with black lids, many lots of ten can be found on ebay for around 3 dollars including shipping.
Here's one example of the myriad of sales:
10pcs Plastic Empty Black Bottle Case 35mm Film Cans Canisters Containers Nice | eBay
06-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What are you trying to do/make? Do you actually need film canisters?

If what you need is really just small black tubular things, there are other options: black PVC pipe from e.g. Home Depot. If they don't have to be black/grey, then there are even more options.
06-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can’t remember what film came in black canisters with grey lids, but I have a few in my drawer. Not many though as most were black on black with Fuji being clear and some Ilford with a blue top.

06-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Can’t remember what film came in black canisters with grey lids,
Agfa, maybe? I used to shoot a lot of Agfa, and also recall having many grey tops, but I honestly don't remember if the two correlate.
06-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do have a roll of Kodak Max in a black can with a gray lid.
06-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Kodak colour film comes in a translucent canister with a grey lid.

06-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Kodak colour film comes in a translucent canister with a grey lid.
Yes, I just looked at a box of Ektar. So I'm guessing it was Kodak color in the past that was black with a grey lid.
06-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of my Kodak cans are black/gray, but some are black/black. (Most of my Kodak film was plain old Gold or Gold Max.) I think the black lids were the rolls that weren't the usual 24-exposure rolls: if it was a "bonus" pack with one 36-exposure roll, the 36 had a black lid, or if it was just a 12-exposure roll, maybe the C-41 BW film, things like that.
06-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Mostly Kodak film came with black canisters with grey lids. It might have been more unusual film that had black lids, or else in the cases with a sticker on the lid that indicated the film inside?
06-30-2018, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More useful were the older Kodak canisters before they changed to plastic. They were aluminum with a screw on cap. Different colors were used for the caps, depending on the type of film. I used to have boxes full...

Last edited by TomB_tx; 07-01-2018 at 12:03 PM.
07-01-2018, 05:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
More useful we’re the older Kodak canisters before they changed to plastic. They were aluminum with a screw on cap.
Different colors were used for the caps, depending on the type of film. I used to have boxes full...
Those old aluminum film cans seem to have become a collector's item.
I regularly see them for sale at rather inflated prices on eBay and Etsy.

When I started with 35mm in the mid-1970's Kodak was already using plastic.

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Mostly Kodak film came with black canisters with grey lids.
Before that I distinctly remembered they used the reverse i.e. gray canisters with black caps.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-01-2018 at 07:30 AM.
07-25-2018, 11:18 PM   #13

Original Poster
well its a project at a childrens home im helping with arts and crafts and really meed them to be the black with grey lids. anything u could find would be great. making oscar the grouch in the trash can.
07-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TMcDaniel Quote
Film Canisters
If you have a film processing lab where you live, give them a visit. I'm sure they would be happy to offload a few hundred empty canisters from the 135 film they had processed.

Will cost you zero!

Phil.
07-28-2018, 08:57 AM   #15

The Ilford and Agfa APX canisters are black with black lids that snap inside the canister and they look light-tight to me. I'm hoping so, anyway, as I always pop one in the changing bag in case bad things happen and I have to abandon loading onto the spiral, roll the film up and stow it safely in the dark.

Hasn't happened yet, but you can't have a 'Plan A' without a 'Plan B'!