Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
This almost sounds like your computer is going into a sleep mode during the process. One of my laptops on Win 10 will do this with anything I have connected, and it does it sooner and more often if it’s on battery power.
I've had similar problems with my Epson and VueScan, but my computer definitely hasn't gone to sleep.

07-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
This almost sounds like your computer is going into a sleep mode during the process. One of my laptops on Win 10 will do this with anything I have connected, and it does it sooner and more often if it’s on battery power.
I had thought this, and tried turning off all power saving. It is also as likely to happen on the first or second image as on later ones, so sleep mode isn't the issue. It usually requires shutting the Scanner off and on to get it to communicate again, so I suspect the scanner. I'll likely try a new one when teh budget permits, but I get along with this one.
07-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Opticfilm 7500 would lose connection occasionally and I would have to restart the scanner. My issue ended up being a driver problem. I ended up having a Silverfast representative call me and we walked through repairing the problem.

With Viescan, I doubt it would be a driver. They are very up to date with that. Although, have you updated to the latest Vuescan?
07-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #19
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
For 35mm scanning, my peeve is that my scanner doesn't handle changes in frame spacing well. Leaving me to see some frames with 1/5 to 1/3 frame off, and having to go back and rescan said frames.
I've been looking for notes about the primefilm XA scanner, maybe this discussion could help you. Primefilm XA

07-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

For scanning, yes, but compared to a slow shutter, or broken advance lever, a frame spacing issue is a relatively minor issue with a camera.
Unless you are processing to mounted slides or having machine prints done or expect minilab strips to end in-between frames.

Steve
07-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
My Epson V700 is nice for batch scanning a roll, except that the Epson Scan randomly loses communication with the scanner and requires restarts. Tried a few computers, both Win 7 & 10, always a problem. Rarely it will make it through 24 exposures without stopping, more typically 2 or 3 restarts required. USB connection, downloaded latest software, issue remains. Otherwise pleased with results.
How much memory on the computer and how is your cable?

Steve
07-06-2018, 05:14 AM   #22

My pet peeves is that I can only scan 2 medium format frames at a time on my Epson V800. Apart from that nothing really. Not even the dust

07-06-2018, 05:15 AM   #23

Not sure why it posted twice, but I did have massive problems setting up the Epson with Win10 and all sorts of driver problems. Lots of uninstall and reinstall. Plus sleep mode that is now sorted.

Last edited by klappers; 07-06-2018 at 05:09 PM.
07-06-2018, 05:53 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by klappers Quote
My pet peeves is that I can only scan 2 medium format frames at a time on my Epson V800. Apart from that nothing really. Not even the dust
2 frames? What size are the frames? With 6x6 frames, I can fit 3 frames on my Epson scanner (V650).
07-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #25

2 frames? What size are the frames? With 6x6 frames, I can fit 3 frames on my Epson scanner (V650).
6x7 I'm not complaining. The negs are stunning to view on a light table And I'm in love with portra 400 (boring I know)
07-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Scanning takes us back to the slow pace of getting film developed and then selecting which to have printed. Even if we do it all on our own equipment.
07-08-2018, 04:34 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Scanning takes us back to the slow pace of getting film developed and then selecting which to have printed. Even if we do it all on our own equipment.
Isn't that the point??? I like film. Makes me focus. I develope my own film as well so every shot matters. Scanning the images in is a burden I am happy to shoulder until I can print my own.
07-08-2018, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't that the point??? I like film. Makes me focus. I develope my own film as well so every shot matters. Scanning the images in is a burden I am happy to shoulder until I can print my own.
Clearly that is a very pleasurable process for many and helps keep film alive. I am glad for that but I am more focused on developing my skills with the camera which is assisted by quicker feedback and a better record in the image (exif) of exactly what was done. But conceptually I get why people enjoy the pace of working with film. Variety makes our hobby rich.
07-08-2018, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Clearly that is a very pleasurable process for many and helps keep film alive. I am glad for that but I am more focused on developing my skills with the camera which is assisted by quicker feedback and a better record in the image (exif) of exactly what was done. But conceptually I get why people enjoy the pace of working with film. Variety makes our hobby rich.
Hmmm. I used to think so. I shot a Canon 1D for a few years. Great camera. Did I have more keepers though?? Doubt it. I did a shoot the other day. I took 150+ photos. All film. Out of that lot, I had 140+ keepers. As in, I would be happy to print over 90% of my photos. So would the client. I used to think that shooting at <f1.4 was what mattered. I now realise that the f stop is not important. The content is what matters. I dont need exif data to tell me a took a good photo. The photo tells me, as well as the emotion behind it. The time and effort I put in is more than rewarded. I don't crave instant feedback. In fact I don't want it. Chimping is way over rated.
07-08-2018, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm. I used to think so. I shot a Canon 1D for a few years. Great camera. Did I have more keepers though?? Doubt it. I did a shoot the other day. I took 150+ photos. All film. Out of that lot, I had 140+ keepers. As in, I would be happy to print over 90% of my photos. So would the client. I used to think that shooting at <f1.4 was what mattered. I now realise that the f stop is not important. The content is what matters. I dont need exif data to tell me a took a good photo. The photo tells me, as well as the emotion behind it. The time and effort I put in is more than rewarded. I don't crave instant feedback. In fact I don't want it. Chimping is way over rated.
Of course the content matters. I have and want no clients but myself. The feedback digital allows us is not really the chimping but the ability to view and process the photo shortly after taking the shot wit full information, including temperatue, retained with the photo. The EXIF serves many purposes. Each photographer discovers them over time. Percentage of keepers is nice but, for me, is secondary to what I learn from each shot. Being a keeper or not yields minimal useful information. I am a student of everything I do so that is what I focus on.