Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pet Peeve about Scanning?

Even among those of us who like to scan our own film, I'm sure you have some peeves with the process.

For 35mm scanning, my peeve is that my scanner doesn't handle changes in frame spacing well. Leaving me to see some frames with 1/5 to 1/3 frame off, and having to go back and rescan said frames.

07-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Pet Peeve about Scanning?
Hi Tim,

Do you use it manually or automatically? I would try in manual mode even if the procedure is longer (if I have correctly interpreted it).
07-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi Tim,

Do you use it manually or automatically? I would try in manual mode even if the procedure is longer (if I have correctly interpreted it).
Usually I have good results doing full-roll batch scanning. It's just the frame spacing that can muck things up more often than anything else.

(Using Silverfast with a PrimeFilmXA)
07-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
maw
Pentaxian

Usually I have good results doing full-roll batch scanning
I remember Silverfast (I think it was the software), currently I have several options for slides and I use VueScan as software, I have two Epson scanners and a Minolta SCSI (a bit old but working).
The malfunction may be caused by the software. I would do a test by changing software. Vuescan exists in trial version and supports a lot of scanners. You may try it!

Greetings, Mario

07-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use silverfast for one scanner and vuescan for the other. While I like both, I’ve had the same issue with the frames during batch scanning with Vuescan. Usually it works good, but my last scanning job, three of the 12 frames were off by about a third. I had to manually re-scan those three.
07-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Giant amoebas in the sky!
07-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

For 35mm scanning, my peeve is that my scanner doesn't handle changes in frame spacing well. Leaving me to see some frames with 1/5 to 1/3 frame off, and having to go back and rescan said frames.
If the frames are not evenly spaced, rare is the scanner that does an active lookahead on a frame-by-frame. My Nikon will do a preview on a strip and makes its best estimate, but it is the user that tells the scanner if the spacing is right and once adjusted and saved, that is the spacing that is used. I don't know about the XA. If it is doing the look-ahead, there will be a lot of back-and-forth before each frame. The solution is to make it easier on the scanner by having the camera serviced. Frame spacing and consistency are adjustable on most cameras made since the early 1960s.

Steve

07-03-2018, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Oh...and my pet peeve is that nobody offers service or repair for Nikon scanners!

Steve
07-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If the frames are not evenly spaced, rare is the scanner that does an active lookahead on a frame-by-frame. My Nikon will do a preview on a strip and makes its best estimate, but it is the user that tells the scanner if the spacing is right and once adjusted and saved, that is the spacing that is used. I don't know about the XA. If it is doing the look-ahead, there will be a lot of back-and-forth before each frame. The solution is to make it easier on the scanner by having the camera serviced. Frame spacing and consistency are adjustable on most cameras made since the early 1960s.

Steve
Somehow I think the winder I used on the camera for the latest roll I scanned just compounded the frame-spacing issue.

Somewhat related to that...I should probably service a few bodies...and lenses... But frame spacing seems like a fairly minor issue.
07-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Somewhat related to that...I should probably service a few bodies...and lenses... But frame spacing seems like a fairly minor issue.
Except that you listed it as your pet peeve!
07-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Honestly this is one of those things that every scanner should do, but almost none of them actually does.
07-04-2018, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've done some slide scanning using a Canoscan with Vuescan software. Overall the process has worked well, if a little slow. My pet peeve is that the crop tool in Vuescan doesn't always select the correct framing when scanning multiple slides, and I find I have to manually adjust each frame before scanning.
07-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Except that you listed it as your pet peeve!
For scanning, yes, but compared to a slow shutter, or broken advance lever, a frame spacing issue is a relatively minor issue with a camera.
07-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Epson V700 is nice for batch scanning a roll, except that the Epson Scan randomly loses communication with the scanner and requires restarts. Tried a few computers, both Win 7 & 10, always a problem. Rarely it will make it through 24 exposures without stopping, more typically 2 or 3 restarts required. USB connection, downloaded latest software, issue remains. Otherwise pleased with results.
07-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
My Epson V700 is nice for batch scanning a roll, except that the Epson Scan randomly loses communication with the scanner and requires restarts. Tried a few computers, both Win 7 & 10, always a problem. Rarely it will make it through 24 exposures without stopping, more typically 2 or 3 restarts required. USB connection, downloaded latest software, issue remains. Otherwise pleased with results.
This almost sounds like your computer is going into a sleep mode during the process. One of my laptops on Win 10 will do this with anything I have connected, and it does it sooner and more often if it’s on battery power.