Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2018, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klappers Quote
Hmmm. I used to think so. I shot a Canon 1D for a few years. Great camera. Did I have more keepers though?? Doubt it. I did a shoot the other day. I took 150+ photos. All film. Out of that lot, I had 140+ keepers. As in, I would be happy to print over 90% of my photos. So would the client. I used to think that shooting at <f1.4 was what mattered. I now realise that the f stop is not important. The content is what matters. I dont need exif data to tell me a took a good photo. The photo tells me, as well as the emotion behind it. The time and effort I put in is more than rewarded. I don't crave instant feedback. In fact I don't want it. Chimping is way over rated.
+1
Most the time I know I have a good picture before I develop the film. Of course now and then I'm either surprised I have a decent one or it didn't turn out good as expected but that is true with my digital camera too. And I can take a picture on film that day and post it on the forum that night with no problem. My Memorial Day pictures I posted were an example.

07-08-2018, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My three pet peeves - this is what drove me to acquire my own scanner, was bad cropping, poor colors and blown out highlights. These have all been corrected when I finally got my own scanners.
07-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Of course the content matters. I have and want no clients but myself. The feedback digital allows us is not really the chimping but the ability to view and process the photo shortly after taking the shot wit full information, including temperatue, retained with the photo. The EXIF serves many purposes. Each photographer discovers them over time. Percentage of keepers is nice but, for me, is secondary to what I learn from each shot. Being a keeper or not yields minimal useful information. I am a student of everything I do so that is what I focus on.
But the point I am trying to make is that I do not need EXIF data to tell me I made or took a bad photo. I know what I did wrong because there is nothing in the EXIF data to tell me. The composition was wrong, my timing was wrong, my depth of field was wrong. Usually everthing wrong with my photo I can see. I'm not sure what more I could get with it?? Being on film means less options. I can't change my ISO as easily as I would like. But that is a problem I have learned to overcome with the likes of stand developement for B&W. EXIF data tells me how I took a photo, it doesn't tell me why.
07-08-2018, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We are on different tracks here, Klappers, with different goals I think. Nothing wrong with your approach but after almost 50 years with film I would not want to go back despite the charm and quality of my Pentax 6x7 and MX.

07-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #35

We are on different tracks here, Klappers, with different goals I think. Nothing wrong with your approach but after almost 50 years with film I would not want to go back despite the charm and quality of my Pentax 6x7 and MX.
I shoot a pentax 67. It's an amazing tool. Far exceeds it's operator (me). My goal is a photo that looks good and is usable. My pet peeve like i said is that i can only scan 2 pictures at once on my scanner
07-08-2018, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

May the Pentax 6x7 go on forever!
07-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #37

May the Pentax 6x7 go on forever!
I hope so!!!!