Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is wet film ruined?

Hello,

I still keep loads of film in my fridge. Unfortunately I don't have the time to shoot as much film as I would love to. All the film is now expired for a few years but I keep them in a dark bag in the fridge.
In a recent power outage (still common after the hurricane) it seems everything thawed and long story made short, I noticed this morning the bag was full of water. Took it out and to my horror everything was floating in water inside the plastic bag!
The Ektar film was in a ziploc bag inside the other bag and seems to have escaped. The boxes are still dry. However, all the BW400CN and some others were not that lucky. All boxes are destroyed, but it seems the plastic containers may have prevented water from seeping into the film, but I'm not sure. I'm carefully drying everything before opening.
If water indeed got into the film: Is it ruined?

Yes, I know it is a sign from the film gods I need to go out and use it.
Appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Ismael

08-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect you'll be OK. Those plastic film cannisters are fairly watertight. I guess there's a small possibility of capillary action that could bring water inside them, but unless they're at depth underwater (and hence under pressure), you should find the film rolls are still dry. If any water did make it in, I think you'd see it pooled in the bottom of each cannister.
08-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say that even if there was some mind water ingress, you could still use it.

Look up souped film and the things people get upto with that.

I would note the carton expiry dates on the canisters though.
08-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should be fine, as these plastic containers are pretty air tight.

Phil.

08-04-2018, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments! I opened one and it seems ok.
Can't wait to shoot a roll or two!

Thanks!