Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Recommendations on how to apply the Edwal film cleaner then? Feedback on the development process as far as when to do the final rinse vs wetting agent, and then how to "do" the wetting agent? Still not warm and fuzzy to the idea of mechanically removing the water from negatives using a squeegee.

09-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Recommendations on how to apply the Edwal film cleaner then? Feedback on the development process as far as when to do the final rinse vs wetting agent, and then how to "do" the wetting agent? Still not warm and fuzzy to the idea of mechanically removing the water from negatives using a squeegee.
I never use a squeegee. Its so easy to scratch your negs. I do my final rinse in demineralised water with 1-2 ml of photo-flo which helps the water just run off. I also try not to let my film hang dead vertically. I have a metal clip on the bottom of the film to keep the film in tension. I tie some sting to this clip and pull it in such a way that it imparts about 30 degrees of angle to the whole strip. This encourages water to run towards the sprocket holes rather than all the way down the roll from frame 36 to frame 1.

Although I develop my film in my darkroom, I hang the film in a steamy bathroom which keeps the negs 95% dust free.
09-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I just need to use more of the wetting agent that I have mixed up. I didn't use much at all that first time and the tank was far from full. Maybe 20%. My second set of negs I had the tank much more full and I didn't have water deposit issues that were noticeable like the first roll's.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! This has been pretty great so far and I definitely want to keep going with developing film.
09-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #49
Pentaxian

I haven't been following the thread closely so sorry if I got this wrong. But Edwal Film Cleaner is something completely different than Edwal LFN Wetting Agent that you indicate using in your description. I've used both Kodak and Edwal's film cleaner to clean a negative long after it was developed. I've ruined some with it too. Practice with that stuff on film you can sacrifice. LFN, on the other hand, is a wetting agent. It helps water roll off the negatives while drying helping to prevent spotting especially for areas that have hard water. You apply after washing your film per its directions ( a few drops per 1000ml of water for about 30 seconds).

I've been developing my own film for a long time. I've never used a squeegee or sponge to wipe my negatives dry and that is with 120 roll and sheet film too. I use Edwal's LFN, whip and shake my film free of much water as I can before hanging to dry. I've never had a problem with water spots on my negatives, FYI.

09-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm using Tentenal wetting agent, not Edwal LFN. The Edwal Film Cleaner was purchased so that I may remove water spots after developing & drying. I don't think I was using nearly enough of the wetting agent when I developed the first roll of film. Give me a few days to finish off the roll in the camera, develop that roll, and see what I can work out. I liked the previous suggestion of hanging the film over at an angle to dry and get the water to run towards the sprockets, and I'll try to shake the negative a bit before hanging to encourage the water to fall off before it's hung.
09-19-2018, 06:21 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

this may be very gauche to admit, but I squeegee all my film between two fingers.
09-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can formulate D-76 yourself if you have the proper chemicals and make up any quantity by scaling the basic formula. The downside is you still have to work with powdered components (some of which pose some risk), and you need a scale for accurate measurement. You can also mix concentrated batches to have a liquid on hand which will keep longer than the diluted developer (again you can use measured amounts of the concentrate to get the volume of developer you're after).

http://www.afterness.com/kod_d76.html

09-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
You can formulate D-76 yourself ...
No. I've picked a developer for now that I'm very happy with.

---------- Post added 09-20-18 at 08:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Try HC110.
No, I've selected F76 and like what I'm seeing, maybe next time. Or maybe not.
09-22-2018, 03:50 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the mentioned developers in this thread are good, the best is the one you know the best. Dont change developer with the samme speed as you are changing your socks
09-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
niels, I like the way you talk. So far I've developed three rolls off film in F76 and I've liked the results with all three. It seems very versatile. Probably the only issue has been that it isn't so commonly used and as such pushing and pulling isn't as well described. Going to try and shoot some HP5+ tonight, pushed to 1600, which isn't on the Massive Dev Chart. 10 minutes souped in 1+9 mix is my plan.
09-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far I've developed three rolls off film in F76 and I've liked the results with all three. Probably the only issue has been that it isn't so commonly used and as such pushing and pulling isn't as well described.
Here are the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for both Kodak D76 and Clayton F76+:

https://uwaterloo.ca/fine-arts/sites/ca.fine-arts/files/uploads/files/kodak_...cat1230937.pdf
https://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/msds/clayton/Clayton_F76_Developer.pdf

I am not a chemist, but as far as I can interpret, the two are extremely similar and when pushing or pulling with F76, I'd just refer to the Massive development chart for D76.
09-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
this may be very gauche to admit, but I squeegee all my film between two fingers.
Is there another way to do it?
09-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Is there another way to do it?
Jack Nicholson would suggest between your knees
09-23-2018, 12:00 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

niels, I like the way you talk. So far I've developed three rolls off film in F76 and I've liked the results with all three. It seems very versatile. Probably the only issue has been that it isn't so commonly used and as such pushing and pulling isn't as well described. Going to try and shoot some HP5+ tonight, pushed to 1600, which isn't on the Massive Dev Chart. 10 minutes souped in 1+9 mix is my plan.
I hope you will do analouge black ann white for a very long time. it has virtues that you ( I?) cannot get in digital.What I said about developers is the same for films. Get used to it under fifferent circumstances. A 400 ISO is a good choise for a standard film. My favorite is Rollei 400 Infrared. If you are not satisfied with HP5 you can see comparisons on the net between Rollei Trix and others. I will try to find the thread, but wait, I am not a clever IT user.
For Color, the digital is superiour
09-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alex, I can go off that, although Clayton's guidance is 1.5 times normal timing for a 2-stop push. Normal for HP5 is 6 minutes, a two-step push in theory would be 9 minutes, although I'm feeling sporty and figured another minute might be worth trying.

click, yeah, you can buy a squeegee. I had no problems at all with water spots with the last roll. After the final rinse I then used a bunch of diluted wetting agent in distilled water, filled the tank and agitated for a full minute, then hung the negative at an angle and used my fingers to try and remove excess water. Worked great this time around.

niels, agreed, B&W film is a different thing vs. shooting digital. I think well shot color film like Portra 400 definitely has a place next to digital though. For what I'm doing right now I bought a bunch of different film; HP5, Delta 400, Tri-X, Tmax 400, and Lomo's Lady Grey. Bought multiple rolls of each kind to try pushing to different speeds. Plus a couple oddball rolls like Foma 400 and developing Ultramax 400 in F76 (which went pretty well). So far it's a lot of fun, I just need to keep shooting to make it through everything to find out what I like the most.