Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looking for a liquid film dev. with results like D-76?

Anyone know of a liquid developer that delivers images similar to D-76? Trying to get a home dev "kit" together from the ground up and need all hardware & chemicals. Curious what would be recommended for a developer and the other chemicals needed for traditional film development. Starting with B&W due to it seeming easier for a beginner vs. C-41.

09-05-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not just use D-76?

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/1464817-Kodak-D-76-Film-Developer-to-Make-1-Gallon
09-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Freestyle sells something called Clayton F76 that is claimed to give results similar to D76. I have never used it, but it might be worth giving a try since it is not that expensive.

Clayton F76 Plus Film Developer - 1 Quart | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Steve
09-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I can think of a couple of reasons:
  • Mixing from powder is a bit messy and includes the hazard of being exposed to the dust
  • The stock solution, once made up, has poor shelf life
  • Storage of a concentrated liquid requires less shelf space

Steve

09-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Wanting to work with liquid developer. Seems easier to measure out a small amount at a time and use as needed. Reading *opinions* online, it seems like trying to measure out powder developer for small batches of soup isn't so predictable and may not contain accurate ratios of the involved chemicals.

I did read about Clayton F76 and it seemed interesting. That said, it might be half way between DD-X and D-76 as far as results are concerned. And that doesn't seem like a bad thing... I'm leaning towards F76 but wanted to ask here first.
09-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Clayton F76 Plus Film Developer comes in liquid form and is designed to match D-76. If you want one-shot there are other developers such as ILFOSOL 3.
09-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Seems easier to measure out a small amount at a time and use as needed.
Makes perfect sense. I've been measuring it out a quart at a time and using collapsible bottles, but even then, it's still tedious.

09-05-2018, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

d 76 developer

kodak hc110 results are almost identically to d 76, but it has a very long shelf life, the same for agfa rodinal which is on the market under several other names, R09 See macodirect for information,I dont think it is allowed to send liquids over the Atlantic.
09-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

most powder developers strongly recommend against partial use of the powder, because the different chemicals in the powder may not be evenly distributed in the package.
09-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
most powder developers strongly recommend against partial use of the powder, because the different chemicals in the powder may not be evenly distributed in the package.
Yes, as I mentioned, this is what I'd like to avoid.

If I get some time this evening I'll try to get an order made for chemicals and equipment. I feel like I need to figure out needs for stop, wetting agent, et cetera.
09-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone know of a liquid developer that delivers images similar to D-76?
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Freestyle sells something called Clayton F76 that is claimed to give results similar to D76.
Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If you want one-shot there are other developers such as ILFOSOL 3.
I used Clayton Rapid Fixer for years and found it an equivalent replacement to Kodak or Ilford fixers. Ilford Ilfosol 3 and Arista Premium developer from Freestyle are also good options.

If you're shooting Ilford, Kentmere, or Arista films, I'd go with the Ilfosol. If you're developing Kodak TMax, I'd used the more expensive TMax developer. If you're shooting Ilford Delta, I'd use DD-X.

But the best general film developers across many emulsions IME has been Kodak XTol and Ilford ID-11. But for a D76 match, Clayton F76 is the closest AND it's packaged as a liquid stock as you asked.
09-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote

If you're shooting Ilford, Kentmere, or Arista films, I'd go with the Ilfosol. If you're developing Kodak TMax, I'd used the more expensive TMax developer. If you're shooting Ilford Delta, I'd use DD-X.
I shoot Ilford films with PMK Pyro and Rodinal. PMK is good for highlight compression work that I do a lot. It's one-shot and shelf life of 10 years. But hand waving talk is cheap. Check out my recent posts from the Salt Flats and a fair in the Medium format section for examples of PMK in action.

Last edited by tuco; 09-05-2018 at 11:47 AM.
09-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what would be recommended for the other chemicals needed for traditional film development. Starting with B&W due to it seeming easier for a beginner vs. C-41.
In addition to the developer, you're going to want to get:

a) Stop Bath. Indicator stop baths are nice so you can see when they are exhausted, but if you don't have good ventilation, you may want to opt for the odor less variety. Arista, Kodak, Ilford are pretty equal.
Black and White Chemicals | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

b) Rapid Fixer. Again, the key here is make sure it is a rapid fixer unless you enjoy spending extra time on your third tray pondering why you opted to save a few bucks in exchange for your time. I've used Clayton, Kodak, Arista, and Ilford. I can't get Clayton shipped to Hawaii, so I currently use Ilford Rapid Fixer. All these are fine for film and paper.

c) If your water bills are not high, then you can skip this. But if you'd rather not waste water or money, then a hypo wash will reduce your wash times: Black and White Chemicals | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

d) For your negs, you'll want a wetting agent like Kodak Photo-Flo. Get the smallest bottle. It will last a lifetime due to the high dilution ratio. Black and White Chemicals | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
09-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I can recommend developers from small German company Spur, especially Spur HRX and Spur SLD. These are rather difficult to get outside Europe though.
09-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'd say for general purpose photography, the film you use will make more of a difference in nuance and tonality of the image than the developer you use.