Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2018, 06:20 AM   #46
Pentaxian

I recently got a Nikon Coolscan IV, a 35mm dedicated scanner. It came with an attachment to scan a 6-frame strip batch, so it's much faster than my slightly higher resolution Plustek 7400. The Nikon also has ICE which my Plustek didn't, so I'm able to scan even faster.

I don't find the 2900DPI of the Nikon to be a hindrance. This results in a roughly 11MP file, which is plenty of detail for me.

11-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tried to buy a dedicated film scanner and it was dead on arrival and I sent it back. So I decided that, since I rarely want much more than I get from my cheap flatbed, to give scanning with a dslr a shot again for the potential prints larger than 8x10. Got a nice light pad, tested it with my k3ii. This is more of a what if experiment, I've been wanting a light pad to look at negatives anyway.

I am including full-frame and crops, both after resizing both the larger larger 24mp k3ii, and the 2400p in height images I get from my scanner to a common 3000x2000. The dslr image is pixel shift (raw threapee -> tiff -> darktable jpeg, only because I'm more comfortable processing in DT). The scanner image is scanner -> tiff -> dt -> jpeg.

I can't seem to get the contrast right in the dslr image, perhaps I need to experiment with the tone curves more, I just applied a standard one meant for regular raw files. Otherwise I adjuste white balance and levels, and left it entirely unsharpened. Another thing to work on is getting the full negative in focus, I think the left side was slightly off. First scanner, then dslr. Any tips to improve pp for the dslr image are welcome, thanks!

edit: added another version after more tone curve tinkering and sharpening

Last edited by aaacb; 03-14-2019 at 06:20 PM.
11-03-2018, 06:06 AM   #48
Pentaxian

I won't keep spamming this thread with my attempts, but after noticing that the invert module in darktable has an area selector for the film base, both white balance and tones improved greatly and were much easier to adjust.
11-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently use an ancient Epson perfection 2400. I've managed to streamline the process somewhat by scanning a whole strip at a time then re-scanning the not-so-terrible pics individually, but it still takes a good chunk of an evening to scan due to the general slow scan speed at higher resolutions.

11-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
re-scanning the not-so-terrible pics individually,
Re-scanning? What do you mean? Are you scanning prints, then re-scanning them?

Oh, you mean you use the first scan as a preview?

Last edited by brightseal; 11-11-2018 at 11:26 AM.
11-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
Re-scanning? What do you mean? Are you scanning prints, then re-scanning them?

Oh, you mean you use the first scan as a preview?
Yeah I scan the strip of 5 or 6 negatives at a time with default settings to preview them, then if any are noteworthy (i.e actually exposed properly/in focus ) I'll scan them individually and try to get the settings as best I can.
03-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #52
Pentaxian

I've been previewing my negatives on a light table for a while. Today I tried previewing with my phone, using the camera app and inverted screen colors set (it's an option for android phones under accessibility). Works quite well, and I find it a lot faster to write down frame numbers than to preview and select from the scanner I plan to do this especially for bw film I develop at home, I usually order a contact sheet for what I get from the lab.

06-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Today I had a pleasant surprise that I wanted to share. I'm using an epson v370 scanner. My previous scanning program on ubuntu was "simple scan" which is indeed simple and tedious to use. Xsane was crashing before, but no more, and so I get luxuries such as batch scanning. I'm doing all processing in dartable from 16 bit tiff files, so I don't even need the scanning program to invert images, but the overall workflow is much faster. No idea when and which update fixed the previous issues, but it's working well*.

* it still has bugs, but not crashing altogether

Last edited by aaacb; 06-25-2019 at 05:41 PM.
06-25-2019, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
If you've already got a decent DSLR... why would you bother with the expense and hassle of film?
Many of us grew up with film and still enjoy using it. If you grew up with film you would realize that the process is all part of the fun.

I will use film until I can no longer find it, or I die.
06-26-2019, 02:24 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Many of us grew up with film and still enjoy using it. If you grew up with film you would realize that the process is all part of the fun.

I will use film until I can no longer find it, or I die.
I've been using film for ~50-years, got no plans to stop.