Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2018, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a mistake

Yesterday I was in my darkroom loading a roll of Tri-X to a developing reel. I forgot to leave my cell phone in another room. Naturally, someone called me and the display lit up. No way to recover, I'm glad it was just test exposures, easy to re-do.

Now there is a sign on the door: 'Cell Phone?'

Phil

09-30-2018, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Ah yes, you see that explains why we used film in the days before we had mobile phones .....

Also there was no chance of being texted or called by the other half demanding to know when you were going to be finished in the dark room due to numerous far more important things that needed to be done elsewhere in the house.
09-30-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
put it in your pocket?
09-30-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How about leaving an entire 100m roll of FP4 out of its tin and on the shelf when turning the light back on. Ouch. Surprisingly, after a metre or so of film from the outside of the roll was discarded, the rest only showed fogging at the edges beside the perforations and was still perfectly useable. I still remember the d'oh moment though!

09-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I was processing a bunch of film at the university newspaper once, the cafeteria upstairs finished washing dishes or something. When I saw steam coming out of my developing tank, I knew it was going to be bad... It was badly reticulated, like mud that dried in an old lake bed.
We got a thermostat the next week....

-Eric
09-30-2018, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a surprise a few years ago when I discovered that CFL bulbs have residual fluorescence that persists for some time after power is turned off. As my eyes adjusted after the door was shut, it was with some shock that I realized I could see what I was doing. Fortunately, the fogging of the negative was minimal.

Steve
09-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PWhite214 Quote
Yesterday I was in my darkroom loading a roll of Tri-X to a developing reel. I forgot to leave my cell phone in another room. Naturally, someone called me and the display lit up. No way to recover, I'm glad it was just test exposures, easy to re-do.

Now there is a sign on the door: 'Cell Phone?'

Phil
I'm interested in how bad the damage was?

I've been standing in the darkroom looking at my hand with a loaded developing reel. Suddenly realising there's something very wrong with me being able to see what I'm seeing... I felt somehow like I'd done my job when the film was on the reel. Flipped a switch... turned out I had a few more things to do.

09-30-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a darkroom but I'm always mindful to remove my Seiko 5 luminous wristwatch before sticking my arms into the changing bag.
09-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I had a surprise a few years ago when I discovered that CFL bulbs have residual fluorescence that persists for some time after power is turned off. As my eyes adjusted after the door was shut, it was with some shock that I realized I could see what I was doing. Fortunately, the fogging of the negative was minimal.

When I framed out and built my first real darkroom in my parents basement
main room lighting was a shop light fixture that used two 40W fluorescent tubes.

In my first printing session there I discovered the same thing you did.
My workaround was to shut off the lights a few minutes before printing.

Chris
09-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have for years used Nikkor stainless steel developing tanks for 35mm and 120 film. Nikkor tanks have a stainless steel lid over the top of the tank and a small stainless steel cover over the opening into which you pour the chemistry. When I loaded film in the dark I always had both top pieces together when I finished loading and closed up the tank. When I wanted to start developing I would remove the smaller piece to access the opening for the chemistry.

One day I decided I was being silly having both top pieces together as the smaller one wasn't needed until after I had poured in the chemistry; so I left it off when I turned out the lights to load the film. Once loading was completed and the tank closed up with the lid, I prepared to pour in my developer. Over the years what had I done when I poured the chemistry into the tank? Well, I had always removed the small cover over the opening for the chemistry; so this time around I removed the cover. But it wasn't the small cover, it was the lid and I was staring at four rolls of high speed 35 mm film. I quickly slammed on the lid and proceeded to process the film. All four rolls were totally fogged except the last one where I could tell through the fog that I had had and lost some good photographs. Since then I have always followed my old procedure of having the two top pieces together when I load film.

Last edited by cpk; 09-30-2018 at 06:35 PM.
09-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Many LED lights have residual fluorescence, too.

And speaking of unexpected glow-in-the-dark stuff: stalagmite, stalactites, and some other kinds of cave formations fluoresce after being illuminated by a photoflash.
09-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That reminds me of when I was taking a photography class my senior year of high school (1982). There were about five of us in the dark room rolling film onto reels to develop and one guy had on a concert t-shirt with a glow-in-the-dark graphic. His film was totaled as he rolled it onto the reel inches from his chest. I turned my back to him as soon as the light went out and I noticed his shirt glowing and my film was fine. I don't recall whether anyone else's film was affected.
10-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
That reminds me of when I was taking a photography class my senior year of high school (1982). There were about five of us in the dark room rolling film onto reels to develop and one guy had on a concert t-shirt with a glow-in-the-dark graphic. His film was totaled as he rolled it onto the reel inches from his chest. I turned my back to him as soon as the light went out and I noticed his shirt glowing and my film was fine. I don't recall whether anyone else's film was affected.
My enlarger's timer has glow-in-the-dark lettering. It’s always made me paranoid so I throw a rag over it when loading film or printing. My darkroom is a converted bathroom and the outlet is a GFCI outlet with a red LED, which I’ve taped over with black electrical tape.