Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
GAF Anscochrome developing?

Recently got 4 rolls of GAF 64 Color slide film in 120 size, obviously expired a while ago. I opened one on the film it says Anscochrome.
Does anyone know how this could be developed? Cross process? even in b&w will do.
From what I was able to gather the original process was in a few steps one of which was to re-expose film.
I know kodakchrome is difficult but this one has been proving to almost impossible to find any information on.

Thanks in advance for any info.

10-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dodik Quote
Recently got 4 rolls of GAF 64 Color slide film in 120 size, obviously expired a while ago. I opened one on the film it says Anscochrome.
Does anyone know how this could be developed? Cross process? even in b&w will do.
From what I was able to gather the original process was in a few steps one of which was to re-expose film.
I know kodakchrome is difficult but this one has been proving to almost impossible to find any information on.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Look up E-6 or E-4 processes and compatible films. I can’t recall if Ansco or the later GAF slide films were a unique process (like Kodachrome) or a more common Ektachrome compatible process.
10-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

In the late 60s I used to process Anscochrome (GAF) 500 in a DYI kit they sold that would process 6 or 8 rolls. You could push it to 1000!
It was actually pretty good, and those slides have retained their color better than some of the Ektachromes I have from that era.

The Anscochrome process was proprietary.

When I worked in a big commercial photo lab in the early 70s God help you if you got the GAF mixed with the Ektachrome! That said, you could try processing it in E-6 yourself,.

Don't send it to Rocky Mountain Film, evidently they are a scam.

B&W might work, try your standard development time.

Last edited by Cipher; 10-24-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: new info
10-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
thank you for replies, for my purpose which is to have some fun with it, i'll probably try b&w, stand development in rodinal, from what i've been able to find and my very limited expirience stand developments tend to work better for old film, at least with my abilities.

10-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anscochrome which later became GAF (circa 1970s) had a different color developer chemistry than E-6 or even the E-4 of the day . The first developer was similar (a metol/hydroquinine/ formula) and you can probably get negatives with any fine grain B&W developer. I've seen formulas for the color developer and they are probably available on-line, but you might have trouble getting some of the chemicals nowadays, particularly the CD-1 color coupler agent. The film developed at 75 degrees F so don't go with higher temps least the emulsion might soften & peel.

If you're still interested, PM me, and I will do a little research to see what I can find in the way of the color developer formula. The bleach and fixer were separate (a ferricyanide bleach) but you could use any E-6 bleach fix just as well. The film has a rim-jet backing which needs to be removed in processing so that might be an issue if you go for B&W negatives. That particular chemistry used a fixer with a formaldehyde additive followed by a buffering stabilizer, something else specific to GAF color film, and the film would quickly fade without those (even with these, it fades but much more slowly).

In light proof tank:
1) First Dev 12 min
2) Shortstop hardener 3 min (a dilute acetic acid bath with sodium acetate; e.g. SB-1))
3) Wash (running water) 3 min

4) Second exposure about 30 second exposure to equivalent of 100W lamp

Tank can be open to light for remainder:
5) Color Developer 12 min (based on beta-phenylethylamine and N-ethyl-N-[beta-oxyethyl]-paraphenylenediamine sulfate)
6) Shortstop hardener 3 minutes (same formula as #2 above)
7) Wash (running water) 4 minutes
8) Bleach 4 minutes
9) Wash (running water) 4 min
10) Fix 3 1/2 min (non hardening fixer with formaldehyde; caution formaldehyde is a carcinogin)
11) Wash 4 min
12) Stabilizer 1 1/2 min (buffering solution, probably sodium carbonate based)
13) Wash 1 min
14) Final Rinse 1/2 min (basic wetting agent)

Last edited by Bob 256; 10-24-2018 at 09:12 PM.
10-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If interested there are a number of mail-order labs that specialize in developing old films intended for obsolete processes.

Chris
10-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The above is likely the best info but here are more that Google found that seem helpful:

Anscochrome AR-Id process | Photrio.com Photography Forums
1962 Anscochrome, dev in room temp C41 or B&W? | expired film | Flickr (Note Stupendous Cattle says he has some chemicals used for Agfacolor Process N and that was 93 months ago... LOL)
Processing Anscochrome Motion-Picture Films for Industrial and Scientific Applications - SMPTE Journals & Magazine (1955 journal)
http://zauberklang.ch/filmcolors/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Wike_AR2Process_1968.pdf (New AR-2 process 1968...)
OLD MOVIE FILM PROCESSING & DEVELOPING (They develop old movie film only but might have leads on those chemicals or alternatives)
GAF ANSCO DELUXE DEVELOPING OUTFIT, IN PRESENTATION BOX/204118 | eBay (Could be the jackpot...)
Film Processing - Old Film Processing, Developing and Printing | Film Processing Online | Kodak Express (they mention it...)
10-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
I spent a week and a half with very limited results in googling, one post and boom all this info, this is the best forum ever.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
The first developer was similar (a metol/hydroquinine/ formula) and you can probably get negatives with any fine grain B&W developer.
would i need to go thru all the steps for b&w as well? OR just develop like any other b&w and vigorously wash rem-jet off and thats it?
I am fairly new to developing so please bear with me.

this is great info, thank you all

10-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dodik Quote
I spent a week and a half with very limited results in googling, one post and boom all this info, this is the best forum ever.

would i need to go thru all the steps for b&w as well? OR just develop like any other b&w and vigorously wash rem-jet off and thats it?
I am fairly new to developing so please bear with me.

this is great info, thank you all
For B&W, just develop as you would any B&W film (develop, stop-bath, fix, & wash). Here's a link that describes removing the rem-jet backing.

Removal of Rem-jet backing from Cine Film Lomography.

You might need to adjust your development times depending on exposure and developer used. Good luck.
10-31-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
For B&W, just develop as you would any B&W film (develop, stop-bath, fix, & wash).
The question I would have is what BW film development time would a person use? E-6 development time?
10-31-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The question I would have is what BW film development time would a person use? E-6 development time?
You really can't answer that question until you do some test shots. If you used the original Anscochrome developer, you would use the Anscochrome time listed in a previous post (12 min), but with a different developer, it's hard to predict exactly what the development time should be. Using recommended development time for the developer chosen (for a similar speed film) would probably get you close.

Emulsion, developer, processing time, and temperature all interact to form the final image so there are too many variables involved to get precise results without experimenting.

Here's a first developer formula for processing GAF films at 80 degrees F. - processing time 8 1/2 minutes

Metol 2.8 grams
Sodium sulfite, des 50 grams
Hydroquinone 6 grams
Sodium Metaborate, crystals 45 grams
Trisodium Phosphate crystals 4 grams
Potassium Bromide 2 grams
Potassium Iodide 1% solution 1 cc
Sodium Thiocyanate 2 grams
6-nitrobenzimidazole nitrate 0.2% solution 20cc
Water to make 1 liter

Be careful since the emulsion will soften quite a bit at 80 degrees.

Last edited by Bob 256; 10-31-2018 at 02:14 PM.