Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Screen color accuracy of Ideapad 720S

Not sure if I am posting it in the right forum.

I am looking to buy a laptop for some LR/PS on the go. I have a desktop at home which is my main machine for LR/PS. However, I would like to have a decently powered laptop that I can use it on the go when needed. I am looking at buying Ideapad 720S with AMD Ryzen 7 and 8GB of RAM. This is powerful enough for me to get some editing done on the go. However, I am unable to find any details or reviews that talk about its screen color accuracy. Any idea if it has a good panel and if it can be calibrated?

Thanks.

10-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to get 16Gb of memory, as that will help with having multiple files open in PS.

Otherwise the laptop should be fine. The screen seems to get decent reviews- it's not an HDR model, but it is IPS. The only gripe I've read about is that it's glossy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first thing I would do with any laptop is check whether the screen is capable of displaying all (or very nearly all) of the sRGB colour gamut, since that's the colour space your exported images are most likely to use and you'll want to see how they really look. Specifications should state something like "100% RGB" or "72% NTSC" for such screens. If they don't, check with the manufacturer. This isn't essential by any means, but the wider the gamut of your screen, the more accurately you'll see your photos (and the results of your processing) represented.

I'd also agree with Adam that 16GB RAM would be better, although I ran Lightroom 6 quite happily with 12GB for some time. I've no doubt you could get away with 8GB at a push, but more would most definitely be better...

Regarding colour accuracy, most LCD and LED panels aren't completely dreadful, but laptop manufacturers often ship their computers with icc colour profiles that are terribly inaccurate (usually biased towards a blue tone and quite high contrast, as this looks more impressive). If you buy or borrow a colorimeter device such as a ColorMunki Display and use either the supplied software or something like DisplayCAL + ArgyllCMS, you can create a new icc profile that will result in much more accurate colours and tone curve

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-25-2018 at 01:00 PM.
10-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you BigMackCam. I googled more about the laptop and some reviews show that covers 54% Adobe RGB and 82% sRGB.

I found the review here: Lenovo Ideapad 720S-13IKB (i5-8250U, UHD 620) Laptop Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews
The review talks about what seems to me like some color accuracy related technical benchmarks. Although, I admit that I do not understand any of those numbers and if they are critical.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The first thing I would do with any laptop is check whether the screen is capable of displaying all (or very nearly all) of the sRGB colour gamut, since that's the colour space your exported images are most likely to use and you'll want to see how they really look. Specifications should state something like "100% RGB" or "72% NTSC" for such screens. If they don't, check with the manufacturer. This isn't essential by any means, but the wider the gamut of your screen, the more accurately you'll see your photos (and the results of your processing) represented.

I'd also agree with Adam that 16GB RAM would be better, although I ran Lightroom 6 quite happily with 12GB for some time. I've no doubt you could get away with 8GB at a push, but more would most definitely be better...

Regarding colour accuracy, most LCD and LED panels aren't completely dreadful, but laptop manufacturers often ship their computers with icc colour profiles that are terribly inaccurate (usually biased towards a blue tone and quite high contrast, as this looks more impressive). If you buy or borrow a colorimeter device such as a ColorMunki Display and use either the supplied software or something like DisplayCAL + ArgyllCMS, you can create a new icc profile that will result in much more accurate colours and tone curve

10-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
Thank you BigMackCam. I googled more about the laptop and some reviews show that covers 54% Adobe RGB and 82% sRGB.

I found the review here: Lenovo Ideapad 720S-13IKB (i5-8250U, UHD 620) Laptop Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews
The review talks about what seems to me like some color accuracy related technical benchmarks. Although, I admit that I do not understand any of those numbers and if they are critical.
I'm an amateur with this stuff (and anything photography-related, actually )... but the fact that the monitor will display 82% of sRGB is the most important part if you're an amateur photographer, IMHO. That means there's 18% of the most relevant colour gamut or "spectrum" people might be able to see on their better screens, or that you can print on high quality printers, that you won't be able to see on your screen. Now, will that really matter? It depends on your application for this machine. If it's just casual photo editing for your own enjoyment and not a professional tool in any sense, my guess is you'd be fine with it. For the last 5 - 6 years, I've been using an HP ENVY 17 laptop with a monitor which I'd guess probably displays less of the sRGB gamut than the Lenovo you're looking at. For me, and for what I do, it hasn't been a problem. But I'm strictly an amateur, and quite a nonchalant one at that, in that I don't care all that much how other people perceive my photos

So, the question is, what are your expectations of the laptop for image editing? Is it for amateur and fun use? If so, I think you'll be OK with the screen on that laptop. But it would be worth waiting for some further responses to validate what I've said