Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plustek scanner weird results

My recently bought Plustek Opticfilm 8200i scanner sometimes spit out results like the attached photos.
The last one is the prescan inside SilverFast software. This also happened in VueScan. and also I remember once it happened to the prescan image too!

Has anyone seen such phenomena? Any idea what can be the cause of it? I've got the latest driver from plustek website and installed it but it happened after that too. sometimes a rescan is successful, and sometimes like this case multiple scanning results different cases of this. and restart of the scanner fix the issue!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
OpticFilm 8200i  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
OpticFilm 8200i  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
OpticFilm 8200i  Photo   
4 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

As you have used two different applications and updated driver, it sounds like a potential hardware issue. It seems unlikely that a flaky driver would cause this similarly, two applications faulty install and intermittent to boot does not sound plausible. So sounds like a potential hardware issue

Possible cable fault - do you have a spare cable you can swap?
Make sure both ends cable clean including sockets, run other peripherals of same connections - I assume USB?
Can you try and install to another system?
Have you sent a notice to Plustek describing issue or looked at their forum?
4 Days Ago   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had some issues with my Plustek and sent them an email. The next day they called me and walked me through the “fix”. In my case, when the driver updated, it clashed with the old driver. We cleaned both drivers out and did a re-install which repaired the issue. Some of my issues were similar to yours, others included crashing. A restart would temporarily fix the issue.

The surprise was them calling me!
3 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't have another cable or system to test. :|
But I found that there's two drivers installed together. so I removed both and installed the one I got from their website again. Will contact them if this didn't solve it. Thing is it doesn't happen always, It'll take sometime probably for me to know if it's fine or not.
Thanks

2 Days Ago   #5
Veteran Member

driver issue, could also be the USB port you're using. try a port on the back of the machine (if desktop).
2 Days Ago   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
The last one is the prescan inside SilverFast software. This also happened in VueScan.
Silverfast and VueScan both use their own drivers, so it is unlikely that is the cause. As noted above, a bad cable or port may be the cause as might an issue with the scanner.

Steve
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Silverfast and VueScan both use their own drivers, so it is unlikely that is the cause. As noted above, a bad cable or port may be the cause as might an issue with the scanner.

Steve
I'm not sure the driver remark is accurate for Plustek scanners. I'm pretty sure Vuescan uses Plustek drivers for Plustek scanners, since I recall having to install Plustek drivers to be able to use my 7400 with Vuescan.
1 Day Ago   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I'm not sure the driver remark is accurate for Plustek scanners. I'm pretty sure Vuescan uses Plustek drivers for Plustek scanners, since I recall having to install Plustek drivers to be able to use my 7400 with Vuescan.
You are correct. This is why I cannot use my model of Plustek on my Linux machine with Vuescan, the Silverfast drivers donít work with Linux and Iíve not been able to locate a replacement. So I keep one computer dual boot.

My issues were similar to the OPs, and very intermittent, but progressively got worse. While talking with the representative, I learned that you must remove the driver before updating it.

1 Day Ago   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I think that Steveís remark about two drivers is actually accurate AFAIK Silverfast will have written their own for a specific scanner and Vuescan will use a different version - the manufacturers. I do not think that Ed Hamrick (Vuescan author) writes drivers himself, so if the manufacturer cannot provide him then the likelihood is the scanner will not get support. Things may have changed at Vuescan HQ though?

Probably a moot point anyway as running concurrent drivers is really asking for trouble and with any luck this was the OP problem
1 Day Ago   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have actually tried installing Vuescan without having the driver installed. and seeing message from Vuescan to go and get the driver from Plustek's website. So I don't think Vuescan has its own driver.
I'm also hoping that, double drivers was the cause.