Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How would you develop this roll - camera exposure compensation set to 2x accidentally

Just got an ME super and shooting the first roll (Kentmere 100 B&W). At exposure 30 I noticed that the exposure compensation dial is set to 2x. Doh!
I'll finish the roll at 2x and try to compensate during developing.
I"m a noob. Never developed before but I want to and have the chemicals. I was going to stand develop with Rodinal.

Theoretically all my pics are overexposed, so if I want to compensate during developing, I would "pull" right? That essentially means a shorter time in the the developer is my understanding. But how much shorter? It seems that the directions I've seen for stand developing, the time in the developer is highly variable as the process is very forgiving. So how do you pull (or push) when you are stand developing?

First let me say that I will save this roll until I've developed a few before trying to pull develop it.
Second, there's nothing critical on this roll and I won't feel bad if I screw them up. It's just a learning experience.

Thanks.

02-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #2

Recipes for Pulling Film | Photo.net Photography Forums
02-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are holding off, why not purposely overexpose a couple of shots, by 1 and maybe 2 stops, and do normal development and see what comes out. Then you can decide whether you want to adjust (pull) the process for the "overexposed" roll. You actually may find you like a 1 stop additional exposure.
02-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

One stop is probably fine, but it also depends on the quality of the scanner if it will cope with the darker negatives (my cheap epson flatbed isn't particularly good at that). I've certainly done that before, so leave the dial at 2x by accident, and never noticed.

This website has all sorts of film-developer combinations for normal development, pushing and pulling. I've never tried the film you mention, but it's been accurate for the others I've tried so far. Massive Dev Chart Film Development, Film Developing Database
The film box or manufacturer website may also have a chart.

02-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You're talking negative film? Don't even worry about it. I used to set my ASA to half the film speed just as a matter of good practice so I would have nice dense negatives. With digital and slide film, overexposure is a problem (can't recover blown highlights), with negative film underexposure is the enemy (can't recover thin shadows). If 2x means "2 stops" than you might adjust developing slightly (if only 1 stop, don't adjust anything), but you'll probably be fine as this is nice low speed film to begin with that should have plenty -- PLENTY -- of latitude. If your metering was off, you'll be glad it was "overexposed". It just means your ultimate print timings will be a bit longer, that's all.
02-16-2019, 12:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. That film developing database looks very useful. I'll have to bookmark that. To get my feet wet, I think I'm going to just stand develop these rolls. Instead of trying to get keeper pictures i might use up the remaining exposures assessing the function of the camera. As DMS said take pictures "properly" exposed, over and underexposed by a stop, etc and see what looks best. I'll try my hand at pushing or pulling later on when I have a little more experience
02-16-2019, 04:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An ancient rule of thumb for film: expose chrome film for highlights, expose B&W film for shadows. So 2X on B&W may not catastrophic. Don't pull (=shorten chrome processing time) too much.
02-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kentmere 100 Isn't a film i'm all that familiar with but I wouldn't use Rodinal for pushing film it is a very unforgiving developer. Pushing with rondinal often involves quite a bit of extra grain which you might not want. D-76 @ 1+1 would be best as it would allow you to keep the temperatures low and developing times relatively short. With Rodinal you would basically have to cook the film.

02-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
... I wouldn't use Rodinal for pushing film it is a very unforgiving developer. Pushing with rondinal often involves quite a bit of extra grain which you might not want....
The OP's asking about pulling – reducing development time to compensate for over-exposing the film.
02-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I shoot 400TMY at EI 100 all the time and under develop. It's called highlight compression. You do that for high contrast conditions. It's no help if the light is flat. Some developers are not good at that much compression. There is no rule how much you should under develop. It is developer/film dependent. Development time places your highlights in BW. So you have to work it out but as a starting point I would cut short your normal development by 35%. And I would not use a developer that has a minimum required time like D-76 (5 min) if that reduced time is under that.

Good luck.

Last edited by tuco; 02-16-2019 at 10:24 AM.
02-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
The OP's asking about pulling
...I really should stop staying up so late.
02-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Just got an ME super and shooting the first roll (Kentmere 100 B&W). At exposure 30 I noticed that the exposure compensation dial is set to 2x. Doh!
I'll finish the roll at 2x and try to compensate during developing.
I"m a noob. Never developed before but I want to and have the chemicals. I was going to stand develop with Rodinal.

Theoretically all my pics are overexposed, so if I want to compensate during developing, I would "pull" right? That essentially means a shorter time in the the developer is my understanding. But how much shorter? It seems that the directions I've seen for stand developing, the time in the developer is highly variable as the process is very forgiving. So how do you pull (or push) when you are stand developing?

First let me say that I will save this roll until I've developed a few before trying to pull develop it.
Second, there's nothing critical on this roll and I won't feel bad if I screw them up. It's just a learning experience.

Thanks.
Everything is a stop over. No big deal, drop your development time around 10%.