Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Andrea K's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 442
I avoid to scan 135 format on flatbed, really low resolution.
Quick scan with quality: MINOLTA 5400 II (or Nikon CoolScan) + the producer bundle software with only resolution tweaked BUT standard options ON (Digital ICE, Digital GEM, Digital SHO, producer software tweaks must be one click each) because what really slows down the scan process are the settings... you feel like a child inside a toy store.
Slow scan with huge quality: DSLR scan, also here the key is few options and a repeatable workflow.

These are only my opinions.


Last edited by Andrea K; 03-01-2019 at 10:00 AM.
03-01-2019, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
CharLac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ottawa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,836
Scanners are brutally slow so I made my own contraption. Removed the lens in my Kodak projector, added some milky plastic in the light path, loaded the carousel with the slides in backwards, pointed my dslr (with 100mm macro) into the projector. I can scan 120 slides in less than 5 minutes
03-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 733
Best way to "whiz" though a bunch of slides is a camera and slide/negative copy stand. Any scanner process is slower. You have to know what you're doing to get the best results with a copy setup and you don't have luxuries such as scratch & dust removal but it is faster. Lens, camera, and lighting are important.
03-01-2019, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,041
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Ah that's very interesting. I used to use Vuescan but I had no idea they'd expanded the driver side. My only issue now is I've moved to a small form factor PC and the scanner needs a scsi card. Always some drawback to decisions made.
Can you use firewire or USB? FAQ: Considerations for Ratoc's FireWire and USB 2.0 to SCSI Adapters

There are other adapters.

03-01-2019, 06:20 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
CharLac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ottawa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,836
My setup....

First setup....



Second more elaborate setup
Attached Images
 

Last edited by CharLac; 03-01-2019 at 06:34 PM.
03-02-2019, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Forum Member
3by2's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK, Wirral nr. Liverpool
Posts: 58
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can you use firewire or USB? FAQ: Considerations for Ratoc's FireWire and USB 2.0 to SCSI Adapters

There are other adapters.
Ah, they've come down in price and gone up in availability. Thanks, that's possible. I'll look into that. It doesn't solve the speed problem and I never found the Scan Dual to be so great at scanning but I might try it again out of curiosity if I can get one of those adaptors to work.

I have just conducted some experiments with the macro lens and I think that will work well. I need to build myself a rig. I'd give Charlacs setup a go but I must have chucked my slide projector, even though I have no memory of doing so. If I do, it should be nice and quick using PKTether and just swopping slides.


So many memories on slide and film. I just lost a couple of hours reminiscing in amazement. Astonishingly I can still remember where every picture was taken and amazingly my filing database tells me the dates.
03-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
CharLac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ottawa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,836
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Ah, they've come down in price and gone up in availability. Thanks, that's possible. I'll look into that. It doesn't solve the speed problem and I never found the Scan Dual to be so great at scanning but I might try it again out of curiosity if I can get one of those adaptors to work.

I have just conducted some experiments with the macro lens and I think that will work well. I need to build myself a rig. I'd give Charlacs setup a go but I must have chucked my slide projector, even though I have no memory of doing so. If I do, it should be nice and quick using PKTether and just swopping slides.


So many memories on slide and film. I just lost a couple of hours reminiscing in amazement. Astonishingly I can still remember where every picture was taken and amazingly my filing database tells me the dates.
If you go my route, let me know, I'll send you a piece of plastic you can use to diffuse the light; and I can share a few learned lessons that will be your job a tad easier.
03-02-2019, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member
3by2's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK, Wirral nr. Liverpool
Posts: 58
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
If you go my route, let me know, I'll send you a piece of plastic you can use to diffuse the light; and I can share a few learned lessons that will be your job a tad easier.
Thanks. I think I have to take a different route because I have negs to do as well. If it was just slides I might have bought a cheap projector and copied your setup. I have a build in mind now and I've ordered a macro rail off ebay to mount to a board and am about to order an LED light for illumination and then nip out and get some ply board tomorrow as I don't have any the right thickness. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some pics and results to show you all. A few things in my head around holding the slide and neg carriers from my scanner to sort but I think that might require some trial and error.

03-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member
Medex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 361
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell W. Barnes Quote
My version of Lightroom doesn't do this but it allows me to 'Edit in Photoshop', which does. Irfanview (freeware) does at a push.
I think if you have Curves Panel in your LR, you can invert negative to positive. Try to browse internet how to do so. And create presset. PS enlarges your file at least 4 times. Sorry, late night here at yeat for more explatations
03-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
CharLac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ottawa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,836
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Thanks. I think I have to take a different route because I have negs to do as well. If it was just slides I might have bought a cheap projector and copied your setup. I have a build in mind now and I've ordered a macro rail off ebay to mount to a board and am about to order an LED light for illumination and then nip out and get some ply board tomorrow as I don't have any the right thickness. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some pics and results to show you all. A few things in my head around holding the slide and neg carriers from my scanner to sort but I think that might require some trial and error.
Good luck! I look forward to seeing your results
03-03-2019, 02:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member
Medex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 361
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Thanks. I think I have to take a different route because I have negs to do as well. If it was just slides I might have bought a cheap projector and copied your setup. I have a build in mind now and I've ordered a macro rail off ebay to mount to a board and am about to order an LED light for illumination and then nip out and get some ply board tomorrow as I don't have any the right thickness. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some pics and results to show you all. A few things in my head around holding the slide and neg carriers from my scanner to sort but I think that might require some trial and error.
My advice would be to buy LED with not less than 6000-6500 K light. 3700, 4000, 4500 K LED will produce blueish positives
03-03-2019, 05:05 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Russell W. Barnes's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Near Penrith, Cumbria, England UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 163
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I think if you have Curves Panel in your LR, you can invert negative to positive. Try to browse internet how to do so. And create presset. PS enlarges your file at least 4 times. Sorry, late night here at yeat for more explatations
I use Lightroom 3 which doesn't have this facility (or if it has, I can't find it!). Been there; tried that... I don't mind working in PS with large files as when I save the image, I'm back into LR for the rest of my editing and can export an image with a defined size. Thanks for the info though.
03-03-2019, 05:10 AM   #28
Forum Member
3by2's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK, Wirral nr. Liverpool
Posts: 58
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
My advice would be to buy LED with not less than 6000-6500 K light. 3700, 4000, 4500 K LED will produce blueish positives
Thanks, I was looking into that last night and had come to the same conclusion. Just need to identify one with those characteristics which doesn't cost a fortune.
03-03-2019, 06:34 AM   #29
Forum Member
3by2's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK, Wirral nr. Liverpool
Posts: 58
Original Poster
One of the things I have to do is cut an aperture in the board for the backlight to come through and illuminate the slide. The slide will be held in a scanner carrier so I'm thinking that the size of the aperture doesn't need to be too accurate and can be a bit larger. It will have some semi opaque lightable plastic over it anyhow. I'm just wondering from peoples experience about problems with stray light and how much consideration this needs?
03-03-2019, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jumbleview's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 348
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
One of the things I have to do is cut an aperture in the board for the backlight to come through and illuminate the slide. The slide will be held in a scanner carrier so I'm thinking that the size of the aperture doesn't need to be too accurate and can be a bit larger. It will have some semi opaque lightable plastic over it anyhow. I'm just wondering from peoples experience about problems with stray light and how much consideration this needs?
I use a light tracer as a light source. Cardboard sheet with the hole sits on the top of the tracer. Size of the hole is a little bigger than a frame, bot not bigger than the size of the film holder. The film holder is aligned with the hole. The camera on a copy stand looks at the frame. On this project
https://www.instructables.com/id/Drill-Guide-As-Copy-Stand/
go to step 7 where you can see the whole set up. Be aware that I pictured the setup in daylight. In reality, I am doing this job at night.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
film, lightroom, photography, scanner, slide, software
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Negative, Negative Space Piuks66 Monthly Photo Contests 9 12-16-2018 12:42 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Auto Bellows-M and Pentax Slide Copier-A..... Macro and Slide Copy setup Ronald Oakes Sold Items 4 06-16-2018 05:04 PM
Black & White paper negative, negative 45 Mike Post Your Photos! 2 12-12-2014 11:09 AM
K5 for digitising slides Andrew Crouch Pentax K-5 13 08-29-2013 05:57 PM
Scanning 120 slide film - slide or negative? adelorenzo Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 16 01-19-2012 09:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top