Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I avoid to scan 135 format on flatbed, really low resolution.
Quick scan with quality: MINOLTA 5400 II (or Nikon CoolScan) + the producer bundle software with only resolution tweaked BUT standard options ON (Digital ICE, Digital GEM, Digital SHO, producer software tweaks must be one click each) because what really slows down the scan process are the settings... you feel like a child inside a toy store.
Slow scan with huge quality: DSLR scan, also here the key is few options and a repeatable workflow.

These are only my opinions.

Last edited by Andrea K; 03-01-2019 at 10:00 AM.
03-01-2019, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Scanners are brutally slow so I made my own contraption. Removed the lens in my Kodak projector, added some milky plastic in the light path, loaded the carousel with the slides in backwards, pointed my dslr (with 100mm macro) into the projector. I can scan 120 slides in less than 5 minutes
03-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best way to "whiz" though a bunch of slides is a camera and slide/negative copy stand. Any scanner process is slower. You have to know what you're doing to get the best results with a copy setup and you don't have luxuries such as scratch & dust removal but it is faster. Lens, camera, and lighting are important.
03-01-2019, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Ah that's very interesting. I used to use Vuescan but I had no idea they'd expanded the driver side. My only issue now is I've moved to a small form factor PC and the scanner needs a scsi card. Always some drawback to decisions made.
Can you use firewire or USB? FAQ: Considerations for Ratoc's FireWire and USB 2.0 to SCSI Adapters

There are other adapters.

03-01-2019, 06:20 PM - 4 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My setup....

First setup....

Second more elaborate setup
Attached Images

Last edited by CharLac; 03-01-2019 at 06:34 PM.
03-02-2019, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can you use firewire or USB? FAQ: Considerations for Ratoc's FireWire and USB 2.0 to SCSI Adapters

There are other adapters.
Ah, they've come down in price and gone up in availability. Thanks, that's possible. I'll look into that. It doesn't solve the speed problem and I never found the Scan Dual to be so great at scanning but I might try it again out of curiosity if I can get one of those adaptors to work.

I have just conducted some experiments with the macro lens and I think that will work well. I need to build myself a rig. I'd give Charlacs setup a go but I must have chucked my slide projector, even though I have no memory of doing so. If I do, it should be nice and quick using PKTether and just swopping slides.

So many memories on slide and film. I just lost a couple of hours reminiscing in amazement. Astonishingly I can still remember where every picture was taken and amazingly my filing database tells me the dates.
03-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, they've come down in price and gone up in availability. Thanks, that's possible. I'll look into that. It doesn't solve the speed problem and I never found the Scan Dual to be so great at scanning but I might try it again out of curiosity if I can get one of those adaptors to work.

I have just conducted some experiments with the macro lens and I think that will work well. I need to build myself a rig. I'd give Charlacs setup a go but I must have chucked my slide projector, even though I have no memory of doing so. If I do, it should be nice and quick using PKTether and just swopping slides.

So many memories on slide and film. I just lost a couple of hours reminiscing in amazement. Astonishingly I can still remember where every picture was taken and amazingly my filing database tells me the dates.
If you go my route, let me know, I'll send you a piece of plastic you can use to diffuse the light; and I can share a few learned lessons that will be your job a tad easier.

03-02-2019, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #23
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
If you go my route, let me know, I'll send you a piece of plastic you can use to diffuse the light; and I can share a few learned lessons that will be your job a tad easier.
Thanks. I think I have to take a different route because I have negs to do as well. If it was just slides I might have bought a cheap projector and copied your setup. I have a build in mind now and I've ordered a macro rail off ebay to mount to a board and am about to order an LED light for illumination and then nip out and get some ply board tomorrow as I don't have any the right thickness. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some pics and results to show you all. A few things in my head around holding the slide and neg carriers from my scanner to sort but I think that might require some trial and error.
03-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell W. Barnes Quote
My version of Lightroom doesn't do this but it allows me to 'Edit in Photoshop', which does. Irfanview (freeware) does at a push.
I think if you have Curves Panel in your LR, you can invert negative to positive. Try to browse internet how to do so. And create presset. PS enlarges your file at least 4 times. Sorry, late night here at yeat for more explatations
03-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I think I have to take a different route because I have negs to do as well. If it was just slides I might have bought a cheap projector and copied your setup. I have a build in mind now and I've ordered a macro rail off ebay to mount to a board and am about to order an LED light for illumination and then nip out and get some ply board tomorrow as I don't have any the right thickness. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some pics and results to show you all. A few things in my head around holding the slide and neg carriers from my scanner to sort but I think that might require some trial and error.
Good luck! I look forward to seeing your results
03-03-2019, 02:13 AM   #26
Pentaxian

My advice would be to buy LED with not less than 6000-6500 K light. 3700, 4000, 4500 K LED will produce blueish positives
03-03-2019, 05:05 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I think if you have Curves Panel in your LR, you can invert negative to positive. Try to browse internet how to do so. And create presset. PS enlarges your file at least 4 times. Sorry, late night here at yeat for more explatations
I use Lightroom 3 which doesn't have this facility (or if it has, I can't find it!). Been there; tried that... I don't mind working in PS with large files as when I save the image, I'm back into LR for the rest of my editing and can export an image with a defined size. Thanks for the info though.
03-03-2019, 05:10 AM   #28
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
My advice would be to buy LED with not less than 6000-6500 K light. 3700, 4000, 4500 K LED will produce blueish positives
Thanks, I was looking into that last night and had come to the same conclusion. Just need to identify one with those characteristics which doesn't cost a fortune.
03-03-2019, 06:34 AM   #29
Closed Account

Original Poster
One of the things I have to do is cut an aperture in the board for the backlight to come through and illuminate the slide. The slide will be held in a scanner carrier so I'm thinking that the size of the aperture doesn't need to be too accurate and can be a bit larger. It will have some semi opaque lightable plastic over it anyhow. I'm just wondering from peoples experience about problems with stray light and how much consideration this needs?
03-03-2019, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the things I have to do is cut an aperture in the board for the backlight to come through and illuminate the slide. The slide will be held in a scanner carrier so I'm thinking that the size of the aperture doesn't need to be too accurate and can be a bit larger. It will have some semi opaque lightable plastic over it anyhow. I'm just wondering from peoples experience about problems with stray light and how much consideration this needs?
I use a light tracer as a light source. Cardboard sheet with the hole sits on the top of the tracer. Size of the hole is a little bigger than a frame, bot not bigger than the size of the film holder. The film holder is aligned with the hole. The camera on a copy stand looks at the frame. On this project
https://www.instructables.com/id/Drill-Guide-As-Copy-Stand/
go to step 7 where you can see the whole set up. Be aware that I pictured the setup in daylight. In reality, I am doing this job at night.