Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Mid-range Medium Speed Color Film

Just wondering if such a film exists nowday:
- Not as expensive as true professional emulsion like Pro 400H or Portra 400, but still strictly quality-controled and carefulled handled
- Rated at around ISO 400

Kodak has the ProImage 100 that sort of fits the role of a "semi-professional" film that is good enough for somewhat demanding usages but still not too expensive. However at ISO 100 its usefulness to me is somewhat limited. I had been using Kodak Portra 400 and 800 almost exclusively even for everyday photography which I consider worthwile using film, but the price is still a bit too high and I am considering to reserve them for more important things.

I also used Fuji Superia X-Tra 400 and Fuji Industrial 400 before, but I feel that their quality (especially the US Superia X-Tra 400s which I have bought from Walmart as stop-gap measures when I run out of Portra while the Industrial is significantly better) are not very stable and predictable. I had a few rolls of Superia Premium 400 before that performs well and is reasonably priced (in China), but they are more expensive than Portra 400 and even Pro 400H here in the US. Lomography 800, when rated between 500-640 is pretty good, but they seem to have some QC issues like scratched negatives which happen more often than others, and their characters also seem to have changed over the years.

I would like some suggestions on what I can look into, or perhaps ways to get films like Superia Premium at a more reasonable price. I understand that the types of film I can choose is pretty limited.

04-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's the Kodak ColorPlus 200, which is pretty cheap, and not ISO 400, but 200 is better than 100.
04-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
There's the Kodak ColorPlus 200, which is pretty cheap, and not ISO 400, but 200 is better than 100.
But from my friends who have used them in China, they are about the same league as Fuji C200 and Superia 400.

Films like Superia Premium 400 and ProImage 100 are attractive because they are of high quality and consistent, and can be used for some demanding applications (clearly superior than say the baseline Fuji Superia or Kodak ColorPlus), but are not too expensive and can be used casually without breaking the bank. Unfortunately Superia Premium 400 will break the bank here in the US. ProImage 100 has an attractive pricing, but the speed is not really fast enough.
04-22-2019, 12:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most expensive part of film is the development. You’re not going to save a huge amount of money by using cheaper film. I say just stick with Portra, learn it and love it.

04-22-2019, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Kodak Ultramax 400?

---------- Post added 04-22-19 at 09:41 PM ----------

For color negative film, your choices are pretty much Kodak, Fuji, and Lomo. From that, you have to make your own decision regarding quality, style, and price, unless you can find something expired that's still in good condition.
04-23-2019, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have said the Fuji Superia X-tra is the film to match your needs. It is much better in grain then the cheaper Kodak (Color Plus and Gold), Fuji (Superia) and I would say surley better then the Lomos. If you liked it's performance, I just would advise you to buy them online from a dedicated analog film shop and store them properly at home. That should minimize the quality issues. The consumer films never have been manufactured for highly predictable results.

Generally when buying films you get what you pay for. That means top quality means top price and cheaper film means cheaper quality.

Second to mention is, that professional analog films are remarkable affordable nowadays.
04-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Kodak Ultramax 400?

I too recommend Kodak Ultramax 400.
It is an excellent general purpose C41 color negative film.
It is also available in cost-saving multi-packs.

Chris