Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #1

Scanned negatives VS old school prints

Iíve recently sent a a 36 exposure roll of film for processing/printing and were all good. However I also received a CD with all the pictures in digital all at 2MP. Obviously they just developed the film, then scanned the negatives with some digital scanner and printed them from there, as opposed to the old school way of printing.

Does this mean that my k1000 pics, are now equal in quality to pictures taken on 2MP digital camera?
I feel somehow cheated, would I get better quality from a traditional film printer?

05-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
I’ve recently sent a a 36 exposure roll of film for processing/printing and were all good. However I also received a CD with all the pictures in digital all at 2MP. Obviously they just developed the film, then scanned the negatives with some digital scanner and printed them from there, as opposed to the old school way of printing.

Does this mean that my k1000 pics, are now equal in quality to pictures taken on 2MP digital camera?
I feel somehow cheated, would I get better quality from a traditional film printer?
Yes, AFAIK it is the way it's done. It was even like this in the last few years of the film era, before digital cameras became the norm. It's much less hassle for the lab to maintain and operate a scanner and a printer than the whole chemical process. Maybe there's a lab somewhere still doing the old way, but it's really a speciality lab.
If you want better quality, you have to do the scan yourself or get dirty and build a DIY lab.
05-18-2019, 06:30 AM   #3

If you are in the US,
Richard Photo Lab
And
Photo Lab Film Developing | Develop Film by Mail for $12 - The Darkroom

Are good, albeit pricey for high res scans but not drum scan pricing.

Darkroom Super Scans are 4492◊6774 pixels

For DIY, The Eason V850 is good if you need to batch a lot of slides but dedicated scanners are better. Can also shoot using a macro lens as well

Comparing Negative Scanners - Nikon ES-2 vs Nikon Coolscan 9000 vs Plustek 8100 vs Pakon F135 ? STREET SILHOUETTES

How Digitizing Fuji Provia 400X + Velvia 100 with the Nikon Z6 Led Me to a Discovery ? STREET SILHOUETTES

New Ektachrome Digitized on the FujiFilm FinePix S5 Pro ? STREET SILHOUETTES
05-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #4

I have scanned black and white negatives with a canon 8800 scanner. I dont recommend that combo. Pictures are unsharp from 135 film and the prints do not have the same tonal qualities as prints made in a traditional darkroom. Maybe better PP skills would help to improve the grey
values
Sharpness is acceptable from 120 film
Why not try a 100% analogue proces?

05-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was never that good a wet darkroom printer. Now I develop my own black and white film in the kitchen and then scan the negatives. Digital post-processing is a godsend for me. As well, there is so much more you can do digitally to a negative which would be next to impossible in a wet darkroom.
05-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Iíve recently sent a a 36 exposure roll of film for processing/printing and were all good. However I also received a CD with all the pictures in digital all at 2MP. Obviously they just developed the film, then scanned the negatives with some digital scanner and printed them from there, as opposed to the old school way of printing.

Your lucky you got that resolution. Last time I did this with a run of the mill processor I got a 640x480 image of each and they charged for the CD.

I did better with a custom lab doe some B&W. I got 5MP 16bit greyscale TIF files. I admit I was lazy I could have done this myself and then scanned with me own scanner that produces 2880DPI images. (Minolta DimageII scanner)
05-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ummmmm...no, it means that low pixel-resolution "proof" scans where made from your negatives. Pay for a drum scan and you will get the maximum scan quality available for a 35mm negative. Whether either is better than a well-made optical print onto photo paper is debatable and vice versa.

BTW...I used to get 10 Mpx scans with HUGE files from my local Costco that were absolute junk. It is good to not equate high pixel counts or large files with quality.

Steve
05-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Maybe there's a lab somewhere still doing the old way, but it's really a speciality lab.
Bluemoon in Portland, Oregon USA does direct minilab prints.

Steve

05-20-2019, 12:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Labs like Richard use a Noritsu machine that makes prints and CD's at the same time. The print is 300 dpi for whatever size the print is and the resolution of the CD is determined separately. These prints are digital prints even if they are printed onto chemical imaging paper. Straight optical printer haven't been made for quite a while. Even a old mini lab with a Noritsu 2901 or 3300 should be able to do a good job.
05-20-2019, 01:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GXAlan Quote
For DIY, The Eason V850 is good if you need to batch a lot of slides but dedicated scanners are better. Can also shoot using a macro lens as well

Comparing Negative Scanners - Nikon ES-2 vs Nikon Coolscan 9000 vs Plustek 8100 vs Pakon F135 ? STREET SILHOUETTES

How Digitizing Fuji Provia 400X + Velvia 100 with the Nikon Z6 Led Me to a Discovery ? STREET SILHOUETTES

New Ektachrome Digitized on the FujiFilm FinePix S5 Pro ? STREET SILHOUETTES
It's cheaper to buy a V500/V600 than your examples...
05-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I believe Ilford Labs does traditional prints still.