Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #1

Developing for first time - What caused this?

I developed a roll of Kodak 400 for the first time. I used a small canister with Kodak developer, Ilford stop bath, Kodak fixer and a hypo rinse, all following the Kodak procedure.

I'm wondering what is causing the streaks on the sprocket area?

During development I inverted the canister to agitate every 30 seconds as per the procedure.

However for the rest I just agitated with the stick you can put in the canister to turn the reel. Maybe that was the problem?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
05-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #2

Welcome to the world of film processing.

The first tank I owed was GAF plastic tank that had a combination swizzle stick and thermometer. There was no way to invert the tank because of drains along the rim of the lid. You could pick it up and swirl it as you would a drink glass or bowl of liquid.

I'm guessing the tank has a plastic reel? Odds are those spots and streaks are caused by air bubbles or the film in contact with the reel. Gently tapping the tank on a counter top should dislodge any bubbles. The streaks from contact with the reel could be that the film is wound to tightly in the reel. Tapping may loosen this up somewhat. Since these marks don't seem to be in the image area it isn't too much of a problem.
05-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Welcome to the world of film processing.

The first tank I owed was GAF plastic tank that had a combination swizzle stick and thermometer. There was no way to invert the tank because of drains along the rim of the lid. You could pick it up and swirl it as you would a drink glass or bowl of liquid.

I'm guessing the tank has a plastic reel? Odds are those spots and streaks are caused by air bubbles or the film in contact with the reel. Gently tapping the tank on a counter top should dislodge any bubbles. The streaks from contact with the reel could be that the film is wound to tightly in the reel. Tapping may loosen this up somewhat. Since these marks don't seem to be in the image area it isn't too much of a problem.
I did not bang it on the counter to dislodge air bubbles, I figured the swizzle stick would take care of that.

Yeah I have the plastic reels.

Oh, also I wound the film up backwards in the camera to add to this. I saw some other posts about stressing the film doing this.
05-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume your referring to the streak between the 15 and 15A on the right side. I also see spots along the sprocket holes on the left side. My first thought is that since there is no emulsion in the sprocket hole areas, there is nothing to develop there. When I used to develop film, sometimes I used chemicals that came in powdered form. You had to dissolve the powder in water. Of course, you wanted to make sure that all the crystals were completely dissolved and thoroughly mixed throughout the bath. I don't know if this applies in your case.

Next, could there be something in the sprocket mechanism in your camera that is abrading the film?

Is this your first time developing film, or just the first time you're developing this particular film? If I recall correctly, after the fixer I used to rinse the film in plain, fresh water. Not sure what a hypo rinse is. However, you say you're following the instructions. I'm just trying to think what might leave a residue on the film that would cause the streaks/spots. You can't rinse too much. I used a Tupperware tub that held maybe 2 gallons. I may have even changed the water for a second rinse, I don't remember. While the film was still loaded into the wire basket, I would agitate it vigorously for at least a minute. I turned the basket up on its side, and swished it left and right so that the water was free to pass through the coils of film and over all the surfaces.

It's been a long time since I did any film developing, so hopefully some others will have ideas to suggest.

05-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
My first thought is that since there is no emulsion in the sprocket hole areas, there is nothing to develop there
There is emulsion from edge to edge of film, the sprocket holes are stamped out after coating the base with emulsion.

I've no idea what these marks might be, unless they are repeated along the film, in which case there might be a very slight light leak somewhere. There's no sediment or other muck in your developer, is there? Air bubbles would cause marks lighter than the surrounding negative image, not dark ones like those shown. As an aside, I had a Kestrel stainless steel tank and spiral film holder years ago and loved it, but have never seen another since. (cue eBay scouts...)

Last edited by StiffLegged; 05-25-2019 at 12:00 PM.
05-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I've no idea what these marks might be, unless they are repeated along the film, in which case there might be a very slight light leak somewhere. There's no sediment or other muck in your developer, is there? Air bubbles would cause marks lighter than the surrounding negative image, not dark ones like those shown. As an aside, I had a Kestrel stainless steel tank and spiral film holder years ago and loved it, but have never seen another since. (cue eBay scouts...)
Chemicals are all new but the equipment I bought used and had been sitting in storage for a long time, so it could well have been some muck in the reels. I didn't rinse them before loading the first reel. It is thoroughly rinsed now.

Yes, this is my first time developing film.

Also, I did have my Spotmatic serviced by Erik a few weeks ago and I have noticed some black, I assume lubricant, on my finger when I load film. If that is it, I'm sure it will clear itself up after a few more rolls.
05-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The metal springs on auto-load plastic reels can produce marks in sprocket area.
Since they are not in the image are of the negative I wouldn't be too concerned.

Chris

05-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by link800 Quote
Chemicals are all new but the equipment I bought used and had been sitting in storage for a long time, so it could well have been some muck in the reels. I didn't rinse them before loading the first reel. It is thoroughly rinsed now.

Yes, this is my first time developing film..
Then if you don't mind my saying, you seem to have a good range of tones on those negatives, so they should print well. I do hope you're going to print on photographic paper (the old-fashioned way, with an enlarger and trays of chemicals) because it's one of the most rewarding ways of making prints. I loved it, I just don't have room for the gear any more and disposed of it some years ago. Have fun!
05-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Then if you don't mind my saying, you seem to have a good range of tones on those negatives, so they should print well. I do hope you're going to print on photographic paper (the old-fashioned way, with an enlarger and trays of chemicals) because it's one of the most rewarding ways of making prints. I loved it, I just don't have room for the gear any more and disposed of it some years ago. Have fun!
Thanks! Yes I am planning on doing proper enlarging next weekend, I'm starting with 8x10 paper. I picked up a nice enlarger a city over for super cheap. It is massive though.

For those curious, I did process another roll and had zero issues. I'm going to call this one gunk in my developing canister and or reel. Seems like an obvious thing, but don't assume used gear is clean. I should have known better since this gear had been idle for a REALLY long time.