Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by miguelfenoglio Quote
D-FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR is on it's way already. I studied graphic design and worked as a designed for a while so I know my way around photoshop relatively well.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions on how to build the "hardware" part of the setup, to hold the light and negatives.
Are you using a full frame DSLR?

12-07-2019, 03:50 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I used both K-01 M100 macro and K1ii DFA 100 macro at F8-F11 and both out-resolve negatives and dias. Always use RAW, manual WB (coolest), manual shutter & aperture settings, manual ISO (200) and manual focus. Check the diagram fits in the spectrum, then you can't go wrong...

My setup is a bit freebling with FischerTechnik, cardboard, glasses cloth inlay and a Philips LED bulb. Works fine.

08-19-2020, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I repeated the same procedure for a batch of 6x9 negatives I found from my father (old PlusX film)
and glass plates taken by my grandfather in the 1920s (43mm square)
It works great!
1920 - Guayaquil
08-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I repeated the same procedure for a batch of 6x9 negatives I found from my father (old PlusX film)
and glass plates taken by my grandfather in the 1920s (43mm square)
It works great!
The detail looks great! I must try using a DSLR to copy slides. I have two film scanners, but the shadow detail is usually lost.

08-19-2020, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well done Titrisol! These large formats indeed contain lots of detail. Lens imperfections of gear that days were less critical in that way of shooting. I copied B&W family photos of 100 years old on a Epson flatbed and was really surprised about the quality of it.
08-20-2020, 06:42 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

I shot that at ISO 80 in the DSLR and bracketed the exposure +/- 1 stop
It was very interesting t see not only my grandparents in their youth but also places that are still there or have gone away.

Digital retouching is something I'm no expert but with the help of some young people the results keep getting better.

I put the results in a flickr album
Fotos-Antiguas | Flickr

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The detail looks great! I must try using a DSLR to copy slides. I have two film scanners, but the shadow detail is usually lost.
08-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
It was very interesting to see not only my grandparents in their youth but also places that are still there or have gone away.
I was also fascinated to scan photos of places my parents visited in 1974 which I recently visited myself in Italy and Spain. Thanks for the link - the photos are really interesting!

QuoteQuote:
Digital retouching is something I'm no expert but with the help of some young people the results keep getting better.
Automated removal of dust and scratches is one reason I persisted with the scanners.