Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #1

Unicolor Film Drum

Has anyone replaced the bottom gasket on a Unicolor Film Drum with a rubber o-ring?
If so what size? I am thinking
It seems my best way to a lot of color processing.

While on the subject, the instructions for using the drum are included in the Unicolor chemical kits,
but the chemical quantity is not listed. I found the following on the internet:

"If you are processing 35mm use 5oz(150ml) for the first reel and 3oz(90ml) for each reel after that to a max of 6 reels.

For 120 film on the 120/220 reels use 7oz(210ml) for the first reel and 5oz(150ml) for each reel after that to a max of 4 reels
for 220 film use 10oz(300ml) for the first reel of 220 film and 8oz(240ml) for each reel after that to a max of 4 reels.

These volumes are the minimum to cover the film, but you may want to use more depending on the dilution of the developer."

I will test this when I can keep liquid inside the drum

Phil

06-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PWhite214 Quote
These volumes are the minimum to cover the film, but you may want to use more depending on the dilution of the developer."
There is the sound advice. The key is to remember that the film will exhaust the developer unless sufficient chemical is provided.

QuoteOriginally posted by PWhite214 Quote
I will test this when I can keep liquid inside the drum
Those drums tended to leak, even when new. Good luck.

Steve
06-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have ordered some 1/2 inch epdm o-ring material. The roll is 5', which will be way more than I need.
I am sure there are a lot of these drums around, so I will let y'all know about success or failure.

Phil
06-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #4

I never had problems with this drum leaking. I should have the instructions around somewhere but I'm not going to look for them right now

I haven't used it in a good 14-15 years or so but all the seals were fine back then.

The low capacities are because the drum is meant to be used with constant agitation on a mechanical roller and the chemicals discarded rather than replenished and reused.