Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Hasselblad Flextight Scanners Discontinued

Per the June Issue of the Beau Photo News Letter, Hasselblad has stopped producing their flextight X1 and X5 scanners due to the unavailability of some key components.

While I doubt anyone will shed a tear over the news due to these products being so expensive for most people to even consider using, but it is yet more erosion of what's available for high quality film scanners. I wonder why they don't make a plug 'n play DSLR scanner. Oh, wait, perhaps someone else should just so it's affordable. I've seen an X1 and what it can do is scan curly 120 film well edge-to-edge because it rolls the film in arc and scans on the tangent.

06-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is sad news, indeed. There are a few members on this site that have Flextight scanners and the output is consistently excellent. I wonder what the components were that left Hasselblad high and dry. One might expect the prices of used units to spike and stay high in response.

As for the plug 'n play dSLR approach, I remember a slide projector adaptation a few years ago with both projector and camera tethered to a computer to sync for unattended operation. IIRC, there was limited provision for unmounted film strips too.

Steve
06-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I used an Imacon (same thing before Hasselblad bought it out) for several years when I was working. There wasn’t a negative that it couldn't handle.
Great piece of equipment.
06-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Interestingly, Hasselblad has a new CFV II 50C digital back for their System V cameras. This one looks really seamless with improved features. And it can further convert to a digital camera with a 907X adapter for their XCD Lenses. I've always wanted digital back for my 500C/M.

06-21-2019, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wonder what the components were that left Hasselblad high and dry.
It's probably something like DRAM which is mass-produced in extremely high volume for PCs and gets updated every few years.

If Hasselblad doesn't redesign their motherboard every few years to use the latest DDR-whatever, they'll soon face the issue of needing obsolete chips that are no longer being produced because the larger PC market has moved on.
06-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Interestingly, Hasselblad has a new CFV II 50C digital back for their System V cameras. This one looks really seamless with improved features. And it can further convert to a digital camera with a 907X adapter for their XCD Lenses. I've always wanted digital back for my 500C/M.

Introducing CFV II 50C - YouTube
Now that sounds cool.

Steve
06-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Now that sounds cool.
Steve
It should help make the older backs cheaper. I'd like it if they could spread those 50MP over a larger area so the old System V lenses wouldn't be so long on a 44x33 sensor.