Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A funny thing happened in the developing tank today.

I was trying out a new Caffenol recipe with a shortened development time, more coffee, more vitamin C and some salt. I was prepared for things to screw up and get poor results.

The overall effect was that it looked like the entire roll had been underdeveloped (15 min in the tank instead of 25, the usual Kentmere 400). Now this is sort of what I had expected, except that I had taken sequences of three shots fired one stop apart, so the degree of underdevelopment should have been staggered.

Odd thing is, one shot right near the end of the roll looked perfect, in all three exposures. Just one.

I wonder what on Earth is going on here. I am going to try again with a wider spread of over-and-under and five more minutes in the tank.

06-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If you add 5 min and are successful, it sounds like the new ratios won't shorten the development time by much.
06-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If you add 5 min and are successful, it sounds like the new ratios won't shorten the development time by much.
It might not, but I'm hoping there will be quality improvements vis a vis contrast etc. when I hit the right mark.
06-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't know what your agitation profile is like but you might be able to speed up the film adding a little more contrast by that. If, say, you perform 3 inversions every 30 seconds you could try 2 inversions every 15 seconds. Just a thought.

06-24-2019, 05:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What recipe did you try ? Have you seen good results with Kentmere 400 films on internet ?
For less grain you have better to less agitate. Caffenol CL or CLCS stand is far better with 400 ISO films. That's my experience.
06-24-2019, 06:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Two inversions every 15 seconds? Sounds grain inducing.
06-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Two inversions every 15 seconds? Sounds grain inducing.
How about 3 inversions every 15 seconds? That's normal for PMK Pyro. Some developers exhaust on the boundary layer faster than others.
06-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've not dabbled in the dark magic known as Pyro.

06-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I've not dabbled in the dark magic known as Pyro.
The OP was under developed. Excessive agitation can speed up the film. When under exposed or under developed , that's not necessarily a bad thing.
06-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh no, I get it with increasing agitation to increase development (which can compensate for under exposure, at least to a degree), I would rather increase time in the tank instead of going to that much agitation. That said, my B&W developer experience is very limited to a single developer, so I don't consider something much different from where I've already been.

Cafenol does seem interesting and I've liked some of the images I've seen developed with it. If I ever get through the stock of F76+ I'm sitting on I might give it a whirl. Stand development in Cafenol seems very interesting.
06-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was the properly developed final frame located at the center of the reel? If so,
and the chemicals are poured in at the center of that tank, that frame may have
received the most concentrated surge of fresh developer when it was added.

Chris
07-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Was the properly developed final frame located at the center of the reel? If so,
and the chemicals are poured in at the center of that tank, that frame may have
received the most concentrated surge of fresh developer when it was added.

Chris
No, it was towards the end of the roll, which would have put it further out on the periphery.

There are so many Caffenol recipes it isn't funny. I've got a B&W film in my MX right now, nothing irreplaceable, and I'm going to risk it on a 70 minute stand (with 1 minute inversion to start) and see what happens.
07-12-2019, 12:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
There are so many Caffenol recipes it isn't funny.
Caffenol is funny, but you don't want that I help you...