Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single digit exposure test film rolls?

Hello,

I love old cameras and I have many, from pristine like new to incomplete and broken paperweights. Many are 35mm. I love tinkering with them. I have fixed a few and further damaged many more in my restoration attempts.
Film is getting hard to come by and sometimes it is a waste to load a 24 exposure roll into a clunker only to find out light leaks, poor performing and/or un-calibrated lenses or broken shutters among others. I've always thought it would be great if I could find "test rolls" of about 8 to 10 exposures for testing purposes or simply to have fun taking out an old camera for a spin.
I know the answer is bulk loading my own rolls. But I don't have the time, space, expertise, equipment, etc. to embark in that journey. At least not now. Is there anybody out there offering something like this? C-41 and/or B&W?
Are there 12 exp rolls still on the market? It's been decades since I've seen one.

Thanks,

07-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photo Warehouse offers all sorts of 35mm films in 12 exposure rolls.

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/

Chris
07-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Parcel out a 36 exp roll of cheap B&W (Fomapan 100 at $4.50/36) to make three 12 exp?

Steve
07-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the link Chris!
I see they have from cheap 12 exp rolls to Ektar and other cool stuff. Cool!

Thanks,

07-14-2019, 01:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Film is not getting hard to come by...it is in the middle of a massive comeback. I can buy it cheaply in my local camera shop, at least in the common sizes, and there is a lot more available online.
07-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Local camera shop? HA! Now that's ever harder to come by!
Online is the only way for me. Camera shops disappeared well over a decade ago.
07-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Film is not getting hard to come by...it is in the middle of a massive comeback. I can buy it cheaply in my local camera shop, at least in the common sizes, and there is a lot more available online.
I wouldn't be fooled by the recent resurge of film. I feel it will be a passing trend. I do not think film will disappear ( I dread the thought of that), I just think it will linger and every now and again have a resurgence.

07-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bulk loading allows one to load any amount up to 36 exposures.
My rolls are usually no more than I'll shoot most days, 12-16 frames...

Chris
07-14-2019, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't say film is having a *massive* comeback, though perhaps a resurgence.

It looks like maybe the 12-exposure rolls there are possibly old rolls? I think that one area where digital has replaced film very decisively are in those applications where a 12-exposure roll was most appropriate.

If you have a bunch of old cameras to try out, you could shoot half the roll on one camera, roll it back, and then put it in the next camera and advance past the already-shot exposures to use the rest of the roll to test the second camera.
07-16-2019, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've taken a 36-exposure roll, loaded it into one camera, shot 12 frames, rewound making sure to leave the leader. Then load into a different camera and shot 13 frames with the lens cap on. 14th frame is now frame #1 in camera #2.