Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2019, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Darkroom comedy

In the dark: why the Stranger Things ?red room? is confusing younger fans | Television & radio | The Guardian

07-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"It's more red than dark"
07-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Forsooth! I have misplaced my information feather...

It reminds me of a Star Trek movie where the crew goes back in time to the late 20th century. The chief engineer needs to use a computer, so he starts talking to it... the ‘locals’ tell him he needs to use the mouse, so he picks it up like a microphone...

And don’t get me started about the 23rd century Russian in the middle of the Cold War asking for directions to the American ‘Nuclear Wessels’

-Eric
07-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

07-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
"It's more red than dark"
Too bad they did not make it amber.

Steve
07-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Too bad they did not make it amber.
Even fewer will catch that. In movies safelights are alway red.
Must be a holdover from old movies and ortho BW films...

Chris
07-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hang the film for a few days to dry? LOL.
07-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my head hurts

07-30-2019, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would have been even "stranger" if the character had shot Kodachrome, popped the finished roll in a prepaid mailer and waited a couple weeks for the slides to return.

I'm sure a mounted positive would confuse today's youngins even more.

Phil.
07-31-2019, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

It doesn't take a millenial to get all confused about how darkrooms work, with all those decades of movies and tv depictions out there.

Many years ago, a guy bought all the goodies to set up his home darkroom for the first time. Despite being encouraged to just buy the stuff to develop film at first, he took the plunge and got the enlarger, easel, etc. etc.

Trouble is, his first films were coming out horribly fogged. Looking for advice, we kept coming back to his darkroom, and whether it was really tightly sealed against light leaks. He agreed to go back and cover up the gaps around his door and such. Still, he got fogged film. So he gave us a roll he'd shot, asking us to develop it for him - just to be sure nothing was wrong with his camera. Naturally, the film came out perfect.

So, we kept bugging him about his darkroom, and how much light was creeping in while he was loading his developing tank. "So, it's dark, completely dark?"
"Yes."
"When the lights go out and you crack open the film canister, there's absolutely nothing creeping in around the door? You can't see anything at all? Zero. Nothing. Nada?"
"Yes, totally dark. I can't see anything until I turn the red light on."
07-31-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Would have been even "stranger" if the character had shot Kodachrome, popped the finished roll in a prepaid mailer and waited a couple weeks for the slides to return.

I'm sure a mounted positive would confuse today's youngins even more.

Phil.
Poor boy. I could get Kodachrome, really any Chrome stock, developed and returned in 24 hours. I lived in Wyoming at the time with the development being handled in Denver Colorado.

(Daily courier, picked up/delivered exposed film at 5:00 PM every afternoon except weekends. The store I worked for (where I bought/sold film for the store) had the policy of five days turnaround - which was told to all customers when they dropped off film)

---------- Post added 07-31-19 at 03:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
It doesn't take a millenial to get all confused about how darkrooms work, with all those decades of movies and tv depictions out there.

Many years ago, a guy bought all the goodies to set up his home darkroom for the first time. Despite being encouraged to just buy the stuff to develop film at first, he took the plunge and got the enlarger, easel, etc. etc.

Trouble is, his first films were coming out horribly fogged. Looking for advice, we kept coming back to his darkroom, and whether it was really tightly sealed against light leaks. He agreed to go back and cover up the gaps around his door and such. Still, he got fogged film. So he gave us a roll he'd shot, asking us to develop it for him - just to be sure nothing was wrong with his camera. Naturally, the film came out perfect.

So, we kept bugging him about his darkroom, and how much light was creeping in while he was loading his developing tank. "So, it's dark, completely dark?"
"Yes."
"When the lights go out and you crack open the film canister, there's absolutely nothing creeping in around the door? You can't see anything at all? Zero. Nothing. Nada?"
"Yes, totally dark. I can't see anything until I turn the red light on."
When my cousin started photography in the 60's (signed up for a photography school that was off the back of a matchbook - he used a Pentax Spotmatic) he had a similar issue. He would load the film into the tank with the "safe light" on. He asked my Dad (photographer and dark room user from the 30's) what was going on and my Dad straightened him out. My cousin and I spent many days in his make shift darkroom developing and printing images after that. I even have the old enlarger that he used. Works pretty well with a El-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 lens.

Even with enlargers, it's all about the glass.

As for comedy - we had a little sticker on the darkroom door that stated "Keep closed - When opened you let the dark out"

Last edited by PDL; 07-31-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: clarification