Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
New Reformulated HC-110 Available in US market...

Not sure if anybody has heard about the changes of Kodak/Alaris has been doing recently:

Some info from Nicos Photography Show, starts at the 3:40m mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52fQijxxC2A

TL;DR The changes to HC-110 apply only to the to the US market due to Kodak's reaction to Tentenal's bankruptcy announcement a few months ago so they changed manufacturers to a North American company and have released a new/reformulated HC-110 for the US market. As for as HC-110 (made by Tentenal) in the Germany/UK market, it appears to remains the same due to the Tentenal's employee's being able to keep the company going.

PS: These changes also seems to apply to other Kodak/Alaris products like Dektol, among others
New HC-110 Formula | Photrio.com Photography Forums
New Catalog numbers for Dektol and other Kodak Alaris chemistry | Photrio.com Photography Forums

Last edited by disconnekt; 08-14-2019 at 10:39 PM.
08-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
The changes to HC-110 apply only to the to the US market due to Kodak's reaction to Tentenal's bankruptcy announcement a few months ago so they changed manufacturers to a North American company and have released a new/reformulated HC-110 for the US market.
I don't get it...why reformulate for the U.S. because of issues in Europe? Nico's video appears to be talking mostly about the product available for sale in Europe* and it is hard to figure out just what he means regarding Tetenal and such. It sounds like he is saying that the U.S. version had been being made by Tetenal which is highly unlikely , so it is hard to say what that means about what we get in the U.S. of if he even meant to say anything of substance about the product being marketed in the U.S. Beyond that, it may well be a tempest in a tea kettle in that much attention is given to the MSDS which should never be taken as an ingredient list for any product. Yes, there has definitely reportedly been a reformulation, but I have my doubts that Kodak/Alaris would make substantial changes in how the developer works at its various official and unofficial dilutions. To do so would be suicide in a niche market.

For now, we have to wait until comparison testing is done by someone in the U.S. for old vs. new formulae at commonly used dilutions and agitation schedules. (I use HC-110 semi-stand at high dilutions and as a result have an intense interest.)

Steve

* Europe has had its own formulation for pretty much forever, so it is good to remember the context.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-15-2019 at 09:52 AM.
08-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW...I went to the B&H and noticed that there are two listings for HC-110, the 2019 version (tall bottle and clear, prod# 1058692) along with the traditional version (squat bottle and yellow, prod# 5010541). So...if you want the old stuff, it is still available.

Steve
08-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't get it...why reformulate for the U.S. because of issues in Europe? Nico's video appears to be talking mostly about the product available for sale in Europe* and it is hard to figure out just what he means regarding Tetenal and such. It sounds like he is saying that the U.S. version had been being made by Tetenal which is highly unlikely , so it is hard to say what that means about what we get in the U.S. of if he even meant to say anything of substance about the product being marketed in the U.S. Beyond that, it may well be a tempest in a tea kettle in that much attention is given to the MSDS which should never be taken as an ingredient list for any product. Yes, there has definitely reportedly been a reformulation, but I have my doubts that Kodak/Alaris would make substantial changes in how the developer works at its various official and unofficial dilutions. To do so would be suicide in a niche market.

For now, we have to wait until comparison testing is done by someone in the U.S. for old vs. new formulae at commonly used dilutions and agitation schedules. (I use HC-110 semi-stand at high dilutions and as a result have an intense interest.)

Steve

* Europe has had its own formulation for pretty much forever, so it is good to remember the context.

Yeah, alot of people over on the Photrio (formerly APUG) forum are wondering why there's such a change in viscousity & change in formulation, and if there's going to be changes in dilutions (highly doubt it). Seems like it's pretty much a "wait & see" situation.

08-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Seems like it's pretty much a "wait & see" situation.
I just bought a bottle of the old stuff to use until the fixer dust settles.

Steve
08-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's lots of speculation in the photo forums on this.
I'm confident Kodak has gotten the look right, but my main concern is the potentially shorter shelf-life of the new formula.

My most recently purchased bottle (February 2019, from Freestyle) is the previous version made by Tetenal in Germany.
It is tall and squared off, but has the characteristic yellow color and old Kodak product number.

FWIW I haven't seen the old-style round bottle in years. IMO the photos on the B&H site will only add to the confusion!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-18-2019 at 06:09 AM.
08-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, a couple people on Photrio said that the new HC110 looks alot like the Freestyle Photo's LegacyPro L-110 developer, even that the MSDS of both developers looks very similar
08-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My most recently purchased bottle (February 2019, from Freestyle) is the previous version made by Tetenal in Germany.
It is tall and squared off, but has the characteristic yellow color and old Kodak product number.
The bottle I bought last week from B&H is also made-in-Germany with the previous product code (5010541). It is in a tall squared bottle and is not as viscous as the old made-in-USA stuff, but yellow in color.

Steve