Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The original rod has chords cut off on the "top" and "bottom" so the slide attachment will be squared of
The slide copier I have (labeled "Asahi Pentax Slide Copier" and came with an Auto Bellows A) takes a round rod. The lack of a flat on the bottom makes it tweeky to initially align, but once it's setup I just leave it in place for future use. The only tools required are a tiny flat blade screwdriver, a wide thin flat blade screwdriver I made from a cheap 1/4" screwdriver using a file, and the #2 tap and drill. I used a drill press, but a vise and hand power drill probably would work. I use the SMC 100mm F4 Macro lens because I have it. Pentax says to use a 50mm lens, but not the f/1.4 versions.

It's not a difficult conversion if you have some of the needed items to begin with and enjoy doing such things. Otherwise I would just buy the best dedicated film scanner I could afford.

08-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the Asahi Bellows II and a 50mm lens you can get a minimum 0.7x magnification.
The bellows has a minimal extension of 27mm and the rod of the slide copier is long enough.
I think a 75mm would work but then a piece of black pvc tube should go between the lens and the 2nd bellows

A macro calculator for focal, disntance and maginifcation here:
https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/macro-extension-tubes-closeup.htm

https://monochrome.sutic.nu/2018/05/24/extension-tube-calculator.html

My rig....

slide copier rig

Last edited by titrisol; 08-21-2019 at 10:14 AM.
08-21-2019, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

A few years ago I played around with digitizing negatives and slides using my K-01 and the Pentax Bellows II and slide copier that came with it.
I ran into two issues trying to get the right magnification for the cropped sensor to capture the entire frame.

The problems are the length of the slide copier bar and slide copier bellows and the depth of the fully compressed bellows.
Through a bit of trial and error I was able to get it to basically work. Using a 55mm lens with the bellows compressed as much as I could, and then the slide copier mounted to the very very end of the bar, the magnification basically works, but then the slide copier bellows are to short. Using a hood from a M100/2.8 and gaffer's tape, I made an extension for the bellows and got it to work.

08-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
With the Asahi Bellows II and a 50mm lens you can get a minimum 0.7x magnification.
The strange thing is that there are two very dissimilar versions of the Bellows II. The early version has two round rails and the later a single x-type over/under rail. I am not sure, but think that 0.7x is attainable on both.

Steve

08-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

OH?
Mine is the one with 2 round with flat bottom (D) rails for the main bellows and one round (D) for the slide copier - For SCREW mount -
The marking with magnification are for the 55mm lens (I tihnk) but are quite close for the 50mm
I have tried both

I asked for help a few years back
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/248580-bell...de-copier.html

Swifts idea of using a shade is brilliant, I have a shade from the 135/3.5 wich is long and will allow me to bridge that gap!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The strange thing is that there are two very dissimilar versions of the Bellows II. The early version has two round rails and the later a single x-type over/under rail. I am not sure, but think that 0.7x is attainable on both.

Steve

Last edited by titrisol; 08-21-2019 at 12:19 PM.
08-21-2019, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
OH?
It was news to me too until I started reviewing comments on the various threads where this topic has been discussed.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/248580-bell...ml#post2652172

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/248580-bell...ml#post2652332

Steve
08-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #22
Pentaxian

LOL!!! I opened that thread a few years back!!
I copied the instruction pages (post 19-20-21)
I almost forgot it until this summer, when I borught back a ton of slides and negatives from my mom's!

Results are good, I can see the edge of the slide in most pictures

Quito Plaza Grande

1968 - Iglesia/Convento de San Diego

by Titrisol, on Flickr

Last edited by titrisol; 08-22-2019 at 05:42 AM.
10-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #23

There seems to be a few different models around and was wondering if the Auto bellows is a better version than the Bellows II?