Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2019, 06:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Maybe a new version of existing film. Or perhaps something new for Ilford. Color film.

10-15-2019, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
What are you using to develop your XP-2 super in?
Caffenol CLCS. A delight !

10-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

What I'd really like is a good colour film with no orange mask, so that it could be DSLR-scanned without expensive correction software. I think that's far too much to hope for from Ilford though.
10-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
It seems that Ilford Photo are teasing that they will release some new film on 24 October.
I wonder what it will be

Ilford Photo teases upcoming film stock release in multiple formats: Digital Photography Review
It's awesome that new films are still being introduced. There are two films that I miss that Kodak once produced: Kodachrome and Tech Pan. If this had Tech Pan qualities, that would be amazing.

10-15-2019, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Why not? Because I prefer to develop B&W myself at home
What he said ^^^^^
10-15-2019, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
There are two films that I miss that Kodak once produced: Kodachrome and Tech Pan. If this had Tech Pan qualities, that would be amazing.
Try Rollei RPX 25. The film has a base + fog density lower than Tech Pan giving it a unique look, I feel.
10-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. For me personally I would have no use for a C-41 process B&W film

Actually I don't really know what I would wish for from a new film. Ilford have a pretty complete lineup as it is, my favourites being FP4 and HP5.
I have the fondest memories of FP4 and doing my own processing and printing. Wonderful to think the old favourites are still in production!

10-15-2019, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Maybe a new version of existing film. Or perhaps something new for Ilford. Color film.
I have no reference though I think I saw someone saying that Ilford said no to the idea of "Ilfocolor".
(enough hearsay for you in that sentence??)

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Caffenol CLCS. A delight !
Lovely job Frederic!

Try Rollei RPX 25. The film has a base + fog density lower than Tech Pan giving it a unique look, I feel.
I still need to properly try the RPX 25. I only shot and developed one roll so far, however I messed up the development and ended up with extremely contrasty negatives. I also had problems loading the reel, as it seems this film is narrower than every other B&W film I've developed...

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I have the fondest memories of FP4 and doing my own processing and printing. Wonderful to think the old favourites are still in production!
Maybe it's time to get back into it?
10-15-2019, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

...I only shot and developed one roll so far, however I messed up the development and ended up with extremely contrasty negatives. I also had problems loading the reel, as it seems this film is narrower than every other B&W film I've developed...
I tried 3 developers with it so far. The film can exhibit long-toe characteristics and not be as forgiving a lot of other BW films so deep, contrasty negative are possible. I'm in the process of testing it in D-23 which is a soft developer compared to say Rodinal and that seems to yield a negative not quite as contrasty so far. Yes, the film is very thin and can curl like mad when first developed. It seems you need to find the right kind of scene for the film to really make it shine.
10-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I tried 3 developers with it so far. The film can exhibit long-toe characteristics and not be as forgiving a lot of other BW films so deep, contrasty negative are possible. I'm in the process of testing it in D-23 which is a soft developer compared to say Rodinal and that seems to yield a negative not quite as contrasty so far. Yes, the film is very thin and can curl like mad when first developed. It seems you need to find the right kind of scene for the film to really make it shine.
Thanks tuco. I tried it in Ilfosol-3.
10-15-2019, 11:55 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
What I'd really like is a good colour film with no orange mask, so that it could be DSLR-scanned without expensive correction software. I think that's far too much to hope for from Ilford though.
Rawtherapee 5.7 has now a "Film Negative tool" in the Raw tab. -> RawPedia.
Adox HR-50 / Scala,
Rollei RPX 25,
Rollei Retro 80S,
Silberra Ultima 100
are same the film : Agfa-Gevaert Aviphot 80.
10-16-2019, 01:01 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Rawtherapee 5.7 has now a "Film Negative tool" in the Raw tab. -> RawPedia.

Adox HR-50 / Scala,
Rollei RPX 25,
Rollei Retro 80S,
Silberra Ultima 100
are same the film : Agfa-Gevaert Aviphot 80.
Retro 80S is said to be a unique new film derived from AGFA AviPhot Pan 80 and also retaining the extend red sensitivity. I haven't found the data on RPX 25 but it doesn't feel like it has the same characteristics as 80S in that regard to me. I see a lot of similarities in these two films but not the same.
10-16-2019, 01:42 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Retro 80S is said to be a unique new film derived from AGFA AviPhot Pan 80 and also retaining the extend red sensitivity. I haven't found the data on RPX 25 but it doesn't feel like it has the same characteristics as 80S in that regard to me. I see a lot of similarities in these two films but not the same.
I have found different sources saying that they are the same film, like here : Rangefinder forum (post #4) and here : Wikipedia.
10-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I have found different sources saying that they are the same film, like here : Rangefinder forum (post #4) and here : Wikipedia.
Well, I dunno. They don't feel like the same film when it comes to rendering the sky with say an orange filter. Try it for yourself and see what you think.

Last edited by tuco; 10-16-2019 at 02:10 PM.
10-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe it's time to get back into it?
Back then I had space for a darkroom, now I have a family! The MX is still lurking, but I disposed of all my developing kit more than 10 years ago. Sigh.