10-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Caffenol CLCS. A delight !
That looks great! You've really pulled a lot of range out of it in Caffenol

---------- Post added 10-16-19 at 05:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I do the XP-2 in C41 at a local lab because of hot water at home.

When I do my own developing, it’s lately been the more traditional Ilford films in rodinal.

When I developed a lot of film, years ago, I never really got on well with HC110, but back then I was shooting all TMax, all the time...

There’s supposed to be a community darkroom opening near me soon, and they’ve promised a robust supply of ice to cool down the water...

-Eric
Nice! Fingers crossed on that darkroom. I hadn't thought about warm water as a limiting factor for development. I don't think I've ever developed film without needing to use the hot water faucet to get my temps up to where they need to be.

10-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote

Nice! Fingers crossed on that darkroom. I hadn't thought about warm water as a limiting factor for development. I don't think I've ever developed film without needing to use the hot water faucet to get my temps up to where they need to be.
I have to admit. The first time it happened, I was completely flummoxed... and that was developing at 75F, not 68...

-Eric
10-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
That looks great! You've really pulled a lot of range out of it in Caffenol
Thank you !
10-17-2019, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Rawtherapee 5.7 has now a "Film Negative tool" in the Raw tab. -> RawPedia.
Excellent!! I've never used it but have downloaded and installed it, though I don't think I have any of my DSLR-scanned colour negatives any more, so will have to do some new ones to try it out. If the new tool is halfway decent then it could be the answer to my negative scanning woes (crosses fingers & toes), apart from that I no longer have any time to develop or scan film

10-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have found different sources saying that they are the same film, like here : Rangefinder forum (post #4) and here : Wikipedia.
Sorry for continuing an off-topic branch.

The discussion on rangefinder forum is interesting, but I tend to be skeptical of claims that make broad generalizations based on a single metric (self-performed densitometry) supported by speculation. Yes RPX 25 is almost certainly coated stock from Agfa or another maker "confectioned" to Mahn/Maco specification. I have never shot RPX 25, but am fairly certain that it is marketed as panchromatic. I do shoot RR 80s and it is most definitely super-panchromatic with distinct extended red sensitivity and fairly muted blue response. Technical datasheets for the two materials show quite different spectral response with RPX being broadly panchromatic and RR 80s showing sensitivity well into the IR as expected and consistent with my experience.

RR 80s (known to be Agfa Aviphot 80) in 120 format requires special packaging (capped black plastic tube) due to its spectral response. Is RPX 25 for 120 (@tuco) similarly packaged?

As for the Wikipedia article, it badly needs review and curation and at the very least needs to be be flagged as containing speculation and rumor (just my opinion).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-17-2019 at 12:19 PM.
10-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
R 80s (known to be Agfa Aviphot 80) in 120 format requires special packaging (capped black plastic tube) due to its spectral response. Is RPX 25 for 120 (@tuco) similarly packaged?
Maco has replaced those tubes with sealed silver plastic, it's cheaper, like other films...
10-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I notice that the teasing tweets from Ilford over the past few days have featured silhouettes of a 35mm cassette, a 120 roll, a black rectangle, which is probably sheet film and a white rectangle. Surely not new photographic paper too?

I hope it really is new products and not just a brand makeover but I'm sure Ilford wouldn't do that to us

10-18-2019, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been reading with amusement many excited posts regarding this.
Many are just wishful thinking from those sure the new products will be
tailor-made to their own particular interest and application, often quite a niche.
Come next week I suspect many of these folks will be disappointed.

I'm looking forward to the new releases, even if it's for products I myself will never use.
Growth of choices for us film photographers can't be a bad thing.

Chris
10-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I imagine it will be a new B&W film, as I stated earlier, I'd hope for a colour film without an orange mask but that's extremely unlikely.

My best guess would be a new 800-speed film as they don't have one (neither does anyone else for that matter, not B&W). I'd expect it to be T-grained as Delta 3200 is supposedly really ISO 1000 and not T-grained, so this would make it something a bit different.
10-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think they need a replacement for PanF with its latent image deterioration problem...
10-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #41
Pentaxian

So it looks like the new products are Ortho plus 80 ISO in 35mm, 120 and 5x4 & 8x10 sheet. Also a new Multigrade RC V printing paper. Interesting

https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/ilford-ortho--495-c.asp
10-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Yeah! That's unexpected. It'll make a really interesting film to play with for landscape photographers. I doubt that it'll be of much interest to a wider audience of portrait photographers, though. (Unless a new trend is to really show off your subjects' dark spots and freckles!)
10-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #43
Pentaxian

To be fair, Ilford already have a superb range of b&w film to cater for most situations. Its really nice that they are launching any new products.
10-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, never thought about Ilford releasing an Ortho film. For some reason I thought they had Ortho film already in their lineup.
10-24-2019, 07:09 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting announcement indeed. I don't think that I have ever shot on Ortho film. Will consider trying it.
Anyone here experienced with Ortho film and is looking forward to trying it out?