Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2019, 07:43 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
RawTherapee Releases New Film Negative Tool (And Here's a Short Demo How To Use It)

Hey y'all,

I didn't see this posted anywhere, despite it being month-old news. RawTherapee in their 5.7 release added a new module called Film Negative tool which allows for some quick film scanning edits.

I am not as experienced with scanning film and have just started over the last few months, but this came at a great time for me as I hadn't found a good simple free tool I could use. I have tried everything from smart phone apps to writing my own image magick scripts, but this seems the most promising so far.

Here is their official release notes:
RawTherapee - RawTherapee v5.7

Here is a quick video I made showing the tool in use:

Has anyone been using this? What are your thoughts so far?

10-16-2019, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing. I did not notice they had released this and should be handy.

I really like RawTherapee - people are saying Darktable is more intuitive but I used Darktable to start with then moved to RawTherapee and actually like using it better.

It does use some CPU though as you noted but less on Linux from what I have seen ;-)
10-17-2019, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome video! The tool really seems to work well despite the CPU usage.

I think this is definitely going to become my go-to software for editing negatives (when I get around to scanning them lol).
10-17-2019, 05:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Thanks for sharing. I did not notice they had released this and should be handy.

I really like RawTherapee - people are saying Darktable is more intuitive but I used Darktable to start with then moved to RawTherapee and actually like using it better.

It does use some CPU though as you noted but less on Linux from what I have seen ;-)
I think that's where I am starting to lean. Coming from Lightroom made Darktable more intuitive for me, but some features of RawTherapee seem better for some more advanced stuff I am starting to get into (astrophotography).

Noted about Linux, maybe I'll set up a partition just for RawTherapee

QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
Awesome video! The tool really seems to work well despite the CPU usage.

I think this is definitely going to become my go-to software for editing negatives (when I get around to scanning them lol).
Yeah, me too. I think the power is once you edit one and set the white balance how you want, then you can just batch edit the rest on the same film stock and scanning setup you had and be done pretty quick. I have only tested it so far with these two films, a color fujifilm and kodak tri-x, but hope to try some ektar and kodak gold soon and see how it does.

10-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #5

Sweet! This will be useful for some negatives I found a few days ago.
10-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

I haven't had a chance to put it into practice yet, but I've already updated my custom negative profile to use it when the time comes. It's obviously far easier and more intuitive than the previous methods RT needed to invert negatives, and apparently this new method also uses a more accurate formula than what most programs use (I think Darktable's method is apparently quite poor).
10-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

I was unaware of this module, so thanks for posting. If I ever get sround to scanning all those old negatives...

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Here is a quick video I made showing the tool in use
Thanks for making this. Very instructive.