Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2019, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Help needed saving old negatives *UPDATE and Questions*

Hello,

A thrilling discovery! I found in my parent's house a long lost binder of negatives. These are at least 25 years old. I bought my K1000 (still in use today) back in around 1989. I graduated college in 1992, so these are from around that period. Unfortunately, been a year round hot and humid environment is a challenge.
The negatives seem to be ok, but the pages are all curled up and what seems to be sticky as you can see here:

Other than scanning, at least I would like to transfer to newer pages I have.
Any suggestion on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Last edited by ismaelg; 10-31-2019 at 06:11 AM.
10-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you saying that the negatives are stuck to the plastic? If so there may be a problem of pulling the emulsion off the negatives.
10-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Arnold!
If I carefully bend the sheet they don't seem to be stuck. However, I tried pulling a strip and I feel resistance like if it was "wet". I'm getting the binder into an air conditioned room too see how it behaves in less humid conditions.

Thanks,
10-20-2019, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tricky!

It looks like the plasticizers/chemicals in the sleeves may have migrated into the emulsion or the film base.

Some experimentation might be needed with some of the low-priority negatives (clear leaders or out-of-focus ones) to find a non-destructive method for extracting the negatives or removing residue left by the sleeves.

If the sleeves really have adhered to the negatives in a nasty way, you could try soaking the entire page in either water (with a bit of photoflo) or isopropyl alcohol (in a large closed container).

Good luck!

10-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try one strip where you use scissors to cut the folder alongside the negative and can peel the plastic back rather than trying to slide the negative out.
10-20-2019, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #6

Those look like PrintFile sleeves. I have many pages of their sleeves from the 80s without any sorts of problems like that. PrintFiles archival materials are what ISO standards are based on. Sometimes there are cohesion between the backing side to the sleeve but is easily broken by flexing the sleeve or using a lens blower and puffing some air in the sleeve.

I would try drying out a page or two first to see what happens. Either moving them to an air conditioned room as you considered and/or putting them in a container with one of those closet dehumidifier packs you can buy.
10-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I would definitely cut the cover instead of pulling

10-20-2019, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Do you have a blower bulb like a Giotto's Rocket Blower? Try this:

Tape down one side of the negative sleeve so there is only one opening for the film to come out of.
Insert the nozzle into the opening on the other side and give it a few good blasts to see if you can seperate the plastic sleeve from the film.
If not, pinch the open side of the sleeve around the nozzle to inflate it like a balloon in order to seperate the materials.

I use these same film sleeves and have not encountered your problem. But, I have used my blower bulb once to remove a set of damp negatives when I didn't let a roll dry sufficiently before sleeving them.
10-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I feel your pain. While that brand of sleeve is generally trouble free, storage on a tropical island or other place with high humidity complicates things. As noted, the emulsion appears to be stuck to the plastic due to moisture. I don't have any suggestions, though I might imagine an experience photographer near you might have a few tips.

Steve
10-20-2019, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Other than scanning, at least I would like to transfer to newer pages I have.
Any suggestion on how to proceed?
Archival PrintFile pages will hold up after many decades assuming the negs were properly stabilized and washed in the C41 process.

The ideal fix is to begin to store the negs in an air conditioned or dehumidified room to slowly and naturally remove the excess moisture. Put them in a film dryer is okay for perhaps 10 minutes, but the more gentle the process, the better.

Do you have an air conditioned room? If not, is there one room that you put in a dehumidifier? A cheap solution could be getting low powered tungsten christmas/night lights or an aquarium heater (set for just above the average room temp) and place it with the neg in a drawer or pelican case or metal bin to see if that will make removal easier.

Again, just be careful not to over do the drying process as that can do more harm than good.

One other idea: Take a trip to Arizona, New Mexico, or any high altitude place where it is dry (Colorado or Switzerland in the winter) with your negs and new pages. Once transferred, I've been using archival storage binders for decades:
Besfile Archival Binder with Rings (Black) B-9051 B&H Photo Video

Last edited by Alex645; 10-20-2019 at 07:18 PM.
10-20-2019, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Some experimentation might be needed with some of the low-priority negatives (clear leaders or out-of-focus ones)
Cheer leaders - low priority?????
10-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all!
Lots of great information.
Slowly flexing the sleeves seems to help unstick them.
I'll keep you updated on this new adventure.

Thanks,
10-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #13

I found the tech support folks at Printfile extremely helpful, the last time I had an issue. Email is Homepage | Welcome to Print File Archival Storage, or you can chat on their "Contact Us" page during business hours. Contact Us | Print File Archival Storage
10-20-2019, 05:21 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Earl! I did not think of that. I'll give it a try.
Thank you all for your help!

Progress report:
Happy to report that after several hours in the AC room, and with careful flexing of the sleeves the first sample negatives are now moving inside the sleeve. Still a long way to go but that's promising.
We only use the AC at night but I'll leave it in the room for a few days. It will still be better than a hot closet.

Now, about moving to Arizona or New Mexico... hmm that will also help slow down the rust in my old cars....

Thanks,
10-20-2019, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I have seen this problem many times before, including with Kodachrome slides which have not seen the light of day since the 1960s!

There is a very real risk of the negatives being torn or debrided when they have been stored for a long period of time and become stuck within the sleeves. One of my proven methods has been to use a blower brush with a long snout inserted at the end of the sleeve, and attempt to separate the sleeves without imparting mechanical trauma. Same thing with sleeved slides.

My late two aunties globe-trotted between Australia and the UK in the late 1960s and 1970s, and were social butterflies in the epoch of the newly-released 747 planes, one of them working as a ticketing executive with TAA which gave them the choice of flying first class every time (which they did). Their travels around the UK, Scotland, Wales and Ireland all snapped on Kodachrome with a Minolta SRT101, are an amazing time capsule of the way things were, way back then. Even Buck House doesn't look half so swank as it does now!