Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a CanoScan 4400F. Scans negs at 600 dpi/ppi. It has the plastic film/slide insert and it does a pretty good job ... if you get the negatives inserted just right, and you use get cardboard filler lined up just right. And it is slooow. Not counting the time it takes to tediously load the negative strip - 10 minutes to scan 4 frames and save them as TIF (if you didn't miss a fleck of dust on the strip, the platen or the cover that is...). It just plain requires way too much direct handling of the negatives in order to get a good scan.
It is a good scanner as far as quality goes, and for slides it's probably well suited. And if you are in a clean room - and your negatives are perfectly flat and precision cut - and you've got lots and lots of time on your hands it's a great negative scanner too.

So to sum up, I'm shopping for a dedicated film scanner too. I see the Plustek 7200 & 7300 scanners which are in the price range I like. Are they any good? I can't justify spending $1K+ on a film scanner and I can't stomach replacing one migraine with another.

11-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Anyone know of scanners that can handle medium format (read 645) films?

Last edited by gawan; 11-07-2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo
11-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

This one does. Epson Perfection 4490 Photo Flatbed Scanner

I was just looking at it actually and wondering if it might fit the bill. Good price if it's worth a dang.
11-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #19

Original Poster
"How was the quality of Your scans?"

Im still new to photography in general so I cant really tell how good the quality is. I think there actully preaty good.

This is a pic I had scaned and put on a cd.

11-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
This one does. Epson Perfection 4490 Photo Flatbed Scanner

I was just looking at it actually and wondering if it might fit the bill. Good price if it's worth a dang.
Amazing price with those specs!
11-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Anyone know of scanners that can handle medium format (read 645) films?
CanoScan 8800F. I love mine.
11-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
CanoScan 8800F. I love mine.
Thanks, I'll have to look the availability of Canon and Epson in my side of the world...

11-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #23
Damn Brit

I saw this product from Wolverine yesterday, it looks interesting. It saves to an SD card.
Convert Your 35mm Film To Digital Images Without a Computer and In Seconds: Wolverine Data
11-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by miniheli Quote
I had my film scanned for the first time. I had 6 rolls of 24 exp film made into cd's. I didn’t even have them printed and guess how much it cost me? About $52! That was with the student discount. I think for the long run, it is worth having a personal scanner for slides/photos if you have lots of old photos and slides to convert to digital. But wow $52. My mom payed for me, she was shocked at how expensive it is now. lol
Ouch! That is expensive. I have mine done at Costco. I think they charge about $2 per roll to burn to CD. Processing to CD with no prints is less than $5 per roll. (Sorry, I can't remember the exact amounts!)

Steve
11-08-2008, 03:59 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I used a minolta Dimage II scanner to scan all my slides and film.

It has 2 carriers, one for 4 mounted slides the other for 6 negatives in a strip.

It works well but is slow beyond belief. It takes anywhere from 2-8 minutes per frame.

on the good side you can batch process the entire carrier so it can be set up and walked away from.

it does not have the same resolution as the nikon scanners 2880 dpi as opposed to 4000 or 5000 dpi, but it works and is reliable (more than 20K images scanned over 5 years)

One major drawback is that it is USB 1.1. I am not sure if newer modles are USB2 but that would help.

Also note, if you are shooting film, some labs prefer uncut strips as opposed to mounted slides or cut negatives.

When I got my K10D, the store I bought it from also processed film, and at the time quoted $1 CDN per strip, a strip being any length up to and including a roll of 36. They specifically advised regardless of processing location to have the fiml processed and left uncut.
I have Minolta Scan Dual II AF2880U which I use with Vuescan software from VueScan Scanning Software. This is considerably faster and easier to use than the software supplied by Minolta. Since taken over by Sony, Minolta scanners are NLA.

John
11-08-2008, 05:38 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Thanks, I'll have to look the availability of Canon and Epson in my side of the world...
I have a 8600F, which is virtually the same as 8800F.
For MF (and bigger) it does a good job as long as you can keep your film originals perfectly flat....
Hovewer, for 35mm its performance is limited by its optical resolution. For 35mm I only use a dedicated Nikon film scanner, providing significantly better quality from such small originals.
11-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a Epson V500. I used it to scan some 2000 negatives. It does slides, negatives, and medium format. I'll recommend it without anything to compare it to.

But most of the stuff I scanned was 400 ISO 35mm from the 80s, and quite frankly, that stuff is so noisy it makes 1600 ISO digital look like color slide film.

Not really, color slide film scans up very nicely -- looks like 400 ISO digital, but 400 ISO color film is pretty terrible looking.
12-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #28

Bumpage...

Wife got me for Christmas a VuPoint FS-C1-VP 35mm Slide & Negative Scanner. (she saw it on "The View" tv show and they were wowed..lol) It's not pro level, but might do the trick for the tons of slide stuff I have. You can learn about it from this review I dug up...

VuPoint Solutions FS-C1-VP slide scanner ? Register Hardware
12-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I have a CanoScan 4400F. Scans negs at 600 dpi/ppi. It has the plastic film/slide insert and it does a pretty good job ... if you get the negatives inserted just right, and you use get cardboard filler lined up just right. And it is slooow.
I have had mine for several years now, and I am quite happy with the quality of the scans, once I did some adjustments . But "slooow" is quite an understatement, I would say! Sloooooooooooooooooow would be more appropriate, IMO. I only use it when I can't avoid the apparatus......
12-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JETninja Quote
Bumpage...

Wife got me for Christmas a VuPoint FS-C1-VP 35mm Slide & Negative Scanner. (she saw it on "The View" tv show and they were wowed..lol) It's not pro level, but might do the trick for the tons of slide stuff I have. You can learn about it from this review I dug up...

VuPoint Solutions FS-C1-VP slide scanner ? Register Hardware
Would you mind giving a review of this once you've put it through the paces? I would love to get something like this if it produced decent images..