Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Slides to Digital Help

I have a couple of Kodak Carousels full of slides from the 1970's and 80's. I am looking for suggestions on companies that will transfer them to digital. Any recommendations?

Will the slides returned to me? Do they have to remove them from the cardboard frames?

I tried to research about doing it myself, but looks pretty labor intensive and I don't know if I would have the time.

Thanks

11-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This community is usually inclined to doing it ourselves. But I found this that could help or at least be a starting point.

Best Photo Scanning Services 2019 - Digitize Film, Photos and Videos | Top Ten Reviews

Thanks,
11-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I have a couple of Kodak Carousels full of slides from the 1970's and 80's. I am looking for suggestions on companies that will transfer them to digital. Any recommendations?

Will the slides returned to me? Do they have to remove them from the cardboard frames?

I tried to research about doing it myself, but looks pretty labor intensive and I don't know if I would have the time.

Thanks
To answer your questions, if you have a company do them for you, the slides should be returned to you. If the company would not return the slides, I would not use them.

As far as I know, No, the slides do not need to be removed from the mounts.

It is a bit labor intensive to do them yourself, but that depends on how you do them. I used a flatbed scanner and I set up a workflow that worked for me. The drawback was the flatbed scanner. I could only scan 4 slides at a time. Also, without digging into settings and the manual, I found that if a slide was slightly out of focus, I could not adjust focus.

If I had done the bellows and slide copier set up, I could have mitigated the slightly out of focus with the camera. I chose the flat bed scanner method instead though.

There are slide and film scanners on the market that will scan slides but are very expensive. Here is a search of said scanners.

slide copier | B&H Photo Video
11-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
To answer your questions, if you have a company do them for you, the slides should be returned to you. If the company would not return the slides, I would not use them.

As far as I know, No, the slides do not need to be removed from the mounts.

It is a bit labor intensive to do them yourself, but that depends on how you do them. I used a flatbed scanner and I set up a workflow that worked for me. The drawback was the flatbed scanner. I could only scan 4 slides at a time. Also, without digging into settings and the manual, I found that if a slide was slightly out of focus, I could not adjust focus.

If I had done the bellows and slide copier set up, I could have mitigated the slightly out of focus with the camera. I chose the flat bed scanner method instead though.

There are slide and film scanners on the market that will scan slides but are very expensive. Here is a search of said scanners.

slide copier | B&H Photo Video
I scanned many, many slides, but I spent ten years off-and-on doing it. I found that a specialized flatbed scanner {with a light in the lid} may be most efficient, but it gave me lousy results, especially with older slides, and left me with much, much more “PP” work. I got better results with a specialized scanner from Plustek. I did the majority of my scanning with a scanner that was made by Nikon that I purchased via eBay, but of course they no longer make them.

11-04-2019, 03:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would definitely explore what equipment the company uses. Also, with flat bed scanners, even very good ones, slides outside the sweet spot will be of inferior quality. Here’s a link to the third of a series of blog posts I wrote back in 2007 that illustrates the effect: https://blogs.lib.unc.edu/morton/index.php/2008/01/200000-slides-part-3/.

By the way, we just surplused the Kodak HR-500 (see Part 4) a few weeks ago. (See https://blogs.lib.unc.edu/morton/index.php/2008/06/the-kodak-hr-universal-film-scanner/ for more on that machine.)