Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #1

Photochemical Prints?

Pardon my ignorance if this provokes verboten endorsement of services but would love to hear from those who are in the know. Exhausted and frustrated by trial and error.

I am shooting lots of 35mm slide film, getting the full package of scans and slides and prints. Within the last 6 months, the prints are now coming on flimsy "digital print" paper and have all the fortitude of a good photocopy. Would love to have the same lengthy conversation with the photo lab as I do with my motion picture lab but it is not to be. So I'm thinking of switching.

My question: is any lab out there still using photochemical print paper or (gasp) actually photochemically printing?

Thank you!

11-04-2019, 11:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Filmbat Quote
Pardon my ignorance if this provokes verboten endorsement of services but would love to hear from those who are in the know. Exhausted and frustrated by trial and error.

I am shooting lots of 35mm slide film, getting the full package of scans and slides and prints. Within the last 6 months, the prints are now coming on flimsy "digital print" paper and have all the fortitude of a good photocopy. Would love to have the same lengthy conversation with the photo lab as I do with my motion picture lab but it is not to be. So I'm thinking of switching.

My question: is any lab out there still using photochemical print paper or (gasp) actually photochemically printing?

Thank you!

Pro photo connection does.
Pro Photo Connection ? Home

I have not used them before but have seen them used for very large prints on various YouTube channels.

Skip to the 4:30 min mark here
11-04-2019, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Chromogenic printing (laser beams on photo chemical paper) at photo labs still have more than 50% of the print market for small size prints (up to about 40 inches wide). Fuji is the largest supplier of photo sensitive paper for C-prints, far behind comes Kodak. A lot of photo labs only use Fuji paper (cheaper). Kodak paper tends to be of slightly better quality but more expensive, even by as much as 100% more expensive. You could try to find a photo lab that offer Kodak papers or other brands. Photo chemical paper isn't necessarily the best choice these days, even when printing from scanned film negatives. Inkjet printing offer a much more variety of papers, more expensive, but you can have paper up to 350 gm, more than 30% thicker than C-print papers.

---------- Post added 05-11-19 at 07:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I have not used them before but have seen them used for very large prints on various YouTube channels.
At min 5:07 the video shows the stock of paper, four types of Fuji paper, that most labs are using for their basic offering (lowest prices). Fuji is number 1 supplier of photo paper for c-prints, unfortunately Fuji papers might be the best economical deal for photo labs (better profit margins) but not necessarily the best quality. Although I have to say, Fuji quality is good, Kodak is better and more expensive.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-05-2019 at 12:06 AM.
11-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you!
Blue Moon in Portland, Oregon does optical printing. They do have mail order service.

11-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Humm not many replies.There is a magazine "Fine Art Printer", a magazine dealing with topics related to high quality prints, one of the least sold magazine, which says it all about what photo-graphy has become, a dead-end . Folks don't give a damn about photo-graphs, they all look at images on electronic displays, 6 inches long displays most of the time..., making ILC cameras completely irrelevant for that kind of displays.
11-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, all. The photo paper is Kodak...can't imagine the alternative if this is considered high quality. I don't have any clout but I do know a few executives at Kodak and an old film guy at Fuji- I'm interested in what they say about the change, maybe can offer a workaround. And I'm looking forward to trying the labs recommended here.