Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Quick question about Photo Flo...

I'm developing B&W film at home and already got the developer & fixer set.
I know that with the fixer to take to a waste disposale site and am doing the same with the used developer (though alot of people say to just dump it).

I ordered the 4oz bottle of Photographers Formulary's Formaflow (their version of Photo Flo, here: Form A Flo Wetting Agent - Photographers Formulary), and looked online on for info on what to do with the used photoflo, but couldnt find any solid info.

So my main question is this:
What do I do with the used Photo Flo? Do I just dump it after using it or do I put it in a empty jug and take it to a waste disposle site along with the developer & fixer?

11-12-2019, 11:32 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Do I just dump it after using it or do I put it in a empty jug and take it to a waste disposle site along with the developer & fixer?

At working strength it is safe enough to dump. It is primarily made up of non foaming anionic surficants which in other words: It's basically a mild detergent.

Here is a link to the SDS sheet which also includes disposal guidelines.

Fair warning: I have no idea about the waste disposal laws in your country/state. Just to be sure I'd look up guidelines on wastewater disposal.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-13-2019 at 04:11 PM.
11-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Fotoflow is like soap.
11-15-2019, 12:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought some of that stuff when I started to stand develop b&W. I still haven't used it. I've always gotten great results doing my final wash in distilled water with a few drops of dish soap.

I wish I could say the same for C41 developing where I get deposits left on the negative.

11-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
I wish I could say the same for C41 developing where I get deposits left on the negative.
Even if you make a final rinse in distilled water ?
11-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If that is happening it means you might be using too much. But if you reduce the amount you are using and it still happens, as Fs999 suggested: a finishing rinse with distilled/filtered* water certainly doesn't hurt.

* use distilled water if your local water supply is too hard, some people can get away with filtered water because the mineral content of their water is so low.
11-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Even if you make a final rinse in distilled water ?
Thanks for the replies and sorry if this is hijacking the original question.

Regarding C41, I am using a Unicolor kit. Per the instructions, the final step before drying is the stabilizer. I forgot if these were mixed with tap water or distilled, but I'm thinking it might have been tap.

After the stabilizer, can I just rinse again with distilled? If so, can I put a drop if dish detergent too like I do with B&W?

Thanks. My B&W comes out very clean, but I get a handful of what looks like sediment or water spots on my color. Squeegee has helped but not eliminated the problem.

Thanks.

11-18-2019, 02:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After the stabilizer, can I just rinse again with distilled?
Yes. It is what I do.
If so, can I put a drop if dish detergent too like I do with B&W?
No, I wouldn't do that, there is already something like that in the stabilizer...
11-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks!