Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dust removal technique?

Hello,

I'm scanning old family photograph prints. I'm scanning them "as is" before attempting to even dust them off just in case I ruin it. I'm scanning 4x6 prints at 2400 dpi which is probably an overkill but just for insurance. Now, after that initial scan, I carefully clean the print with a PEC PAD and a drop of PEC-12. I'm also constantly cleaning the scanner's glass. But dust is still there. I did 2 separate scans with identical parameters, shifting the print about 1/4 inch in the scanner. Comparing both scans I can tell if the dust is in the print (same location on the image) or the glass (shifts accordingly). I'm at a point where I don't think I'll get any better, yet some dust particles are still there. Some of it is easily worked with healing tool in Photoshop but others may be a bit more challenging. Is there any technique to merge both scans and align them so I can get rid of the dust in the glass? Other techniques other than healing tool to deal with dust in the print?
Keep in mind, these are small and I'm been VERY picky here.
I've never ever claimed to be "normal"

Thanks,

11-16-2019, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Personally, I would avoid rubbing a damp emulsion on a negative or print. The moisture will soften the emulsion, making it both sticky AND more prone to damage. Either a dry blower brush or a wet rinse (and drying the photo) would be better.
11-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
By the way, it is an old EPSON 2400 scanner that doesn't have dust removal (ICE? Infrared or something)

---------- Post added 11-16-19 at 11:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Personally, I would avoid rubbing a damp emulsion on a negative or print. The moisture will soften the emulsion, making it both sticky AND more prone to damage. Either a dry blower brush or a wet rinse (and drying the photo) would be better.
Thank you! Can you elaborate on the wet rinse process?
11-17-2019, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As photoptimist is saying, using Photo-flo for black and white or stabilizer for color film and using a clean photo sponge to wipe the film and then dry it seems like a good idea, but the damp emulsion is a dust magnet. Pec 12 or Edwal negative cleaner ( the Edwal is less nasty ) is the safest thing. Rubbing too much generates static charge that holds stuff on. Use more than a drop of Pec 12 on the pec pad. If it is too dry more static charge is generated. You can use windex on the scanner glass. Wipe with a lint free cloth.

11-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Re static and dust: an anti static mat was very helpful when I was scanning lots of slides and prints.