Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2019, 10:59 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
It all still works!

Just processed my first two rolls of B&W in.... gosh, has to be at least 26 years, maybe 27. One roll each of HP5 and Tri-X in D76 1:1. End result: Negatives! I won't know if they're any good 'til I get a chance to scan (and that could be a little while as I haven't ordered a proper film scanner yet), but I'm pleased to see I can still make development happen!

My one question is about light-proof film loading bags, which I didn't use as a young whippersnapper... anyone ever pass out from having the blood flow cut off to their arms? As I'm loading my reels, I'm thinking that if I don't get it done in a few minutes, I'l lose all feeling in my arms...

Regardless, it's good to be back in the game.

Aaron

11-18-2019, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good job! I still have my film-loading bag and my developing tank from the 1970s ... somewhere, although they haven’t been used in anger for more than 20 years. The sleeves of the bag were quite gentle, I recall, with two rings of elastic that fitted snugly around the lower forearm.

I can still smell the developer now!
11-18-2019, 03:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I find in the middle of summer sweaty fingers and hands can mean sweaty sticky film. Your dark bag can turn into a sauna before you get gangrene from lack of circulation.
11-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used changing bags extensively to load and unload 4x5 film holders every where from the back of my truck, picnic tables, even in tents when in the backcountry -- officiousbystander is right -- the biggest problem your likely to encounter is sweaty hands (or in my case having clipped all my fingernails so that I had no nail left to get under the film to lift it out of the holder). I know it's weird but even years later I'm still in the habit of leaving one nail longer than the others …. and that is probably just a tad bit more info than y'all wanted to know ….

---------- Post added 11-18-19 at 07:05 AM ----------

oh … and dust to -- have one of those small handvacs handy and vac out the bag before loading and unloading ...

11-18-2019, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a break of about 30 years while raising a family and getting too wrapped up in work. After retiring 10 years ago started repairing my cameras and dug out my darkroom stuff to process again. Since then I've averaged about a roll a week. Now I normally use a changing bag to load my stainless Hewes reels and close up the Nikor tank, while I used to do all in the dark.
All my old preferred film and chemicals are obsolete, and I've switched to Ilford from Kodak.
I mainly scan negatives, only printing when something looks exceptional.
12-16-2019, 04:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Very thin latex gloves will keep the sweat off the film, while still being tactile enough to let you load the spiral. Don't forget the french chalk (actually, I use talc - I have the only patchouli-scented negatives in existence !)
12-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can use your smartphone to see your negatives, by taking some shots and inverting them...

12-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no intention to use a loading bag ever again! Rather stay away from film altogether - I'm bad enough loading film even in a darkroom.

Looking forward to Christmas at my parent's - there is still a dark room (not a darkroom) with an old enlarger, and likely 25 year old paper as well - some of it maybe just 15 years. Just need new paper developer, I'm sure last year's R09 will still be fine and fixing salt keeps forever.
01-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More darkroom magic!

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
You can use your smartphone to see your negatives, by taking some shots and inverting them...

If you hold BW negatives just the right way against a dark background (floor) with light from behind/above you they will appear as positive.
The first time I discovered this effect I was so startled my jaw must have dropped...

Chris