Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Emulsion side down for scanning: why?

Hello,

All scanners I've seen (not that many) always indicate the correct way to scan a negative is emulsion side down. Just curious: Other than proper image orientation (which can easily be corrected in post) Is there a reason for this? I found some old negatives at my sister's. Some were curled and the only way I could get them into the holder was emulsion side up. Of course been curled distorts the image a bit. I did not notice any difference, but I'm doing only quick jpg scans at low res (600 dpi) to see what they are. I've found 2 important images (my late mother) in about a hundred or so thus far. Those will get special treatment later.

Thanks,

11-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Emulsion side is less reflective? That's the only immediate reason I can think of.
11-18-2019, 10:04 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scanning through the film base theoretically could reduce sharpness. Movie film is emulsion side out so that the image isn't projected through the base. Also, small scratches in the base are less likely to show.
11-18-2019, 11:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

All scanners I've seen (not that many) always indicate the correct way to scan a negative is emulsion side down. Just curious: Other than proper image orientation (which can easily be corrected in post) Is there a reason for this?
Most scanners have their sensors under the film carrier, in part, to reduce the chance of scanning dust on the top of the film. Also the image is in the emulsion so the micro fine focusing is calibrated for the under side of the film vs. through the base substrate.

My first film scanner was made by Minolta and it oriented the film vertically and was scanned from the side, but Minolta eliminated that design on their newer models.

11-19-2019, 04:17 AM   #5

The film is shot in the camera with the emulsion side towards the lens. The focal plane in camera should be on the emulsion. When printing (contact or enlarger) and duplicating slides it should be emulsion to emulsion unless you had a good reason like reversing the image.

Working from the emulsion side you are basically reversing the process on how the film was exposed in the first place and removing an additional layer of potential distortion. The less surfaces to deal with the better. Isn't that one of arguments used against on the lens filters?
11-19-2019, 04:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The less surfaces to deal with the better. Isn't that one of arguments used against on the lens filters?
Thanks all! That actually makes a lot of sense!

Thanks,
11-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Form what's said I may conclude that while scanning by the camera I have to put a film with emulsion side toward camera lens, right?

11-19-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have the shiny side (base) side toward the lens, there's more of a chance of getting lens-to-base reflections which can create artifacts. pentaxus (#3) stated the other major reasons. Technically, these could be issues, but practically, especially in the case of old film like the OP is dealing with, little difference will be seen.
11-19-2019, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha! Ha! I never stopped to think about it before seeing this post. The rule in the darkroom for contact prints and enlarging is "shiny side up", meaning emulsion towards the copy medium with focus being placed on the emulsion. Scanning is analogous, so the same logic follows.

Steve