Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #1

Software for exposing 35 mm negatives

Hello

I know of Photoshop, Paintpro, etc for working with digital content, but what can be used to expose and manipulate 35 mm developed negatives?

Is there a machine that can be hooked up to a computer like one for exposing negatives to photo paper?

Thanks

12-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The same software, but you need a way to scan the negatives or copy them directly with your digital camera.

Then once you get the negatives scanned, you can also use the same software to manipulate your negatives. For printing all you need is a color printer.
12-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
The same software, but you need a way to scan the negatives or copy them directly with your digital camera.

Then once you get the negatives scanned, you can also use the same software to manipulate your negatives. For printing all you need is a color printer.
I dont have a digital camera. I use a Pentax ME 35 mm.

12-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look for these products: Plustek OpticFilm 35mm film scanner series convert film to digital format

12-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Curt_Hegel Quote
I dont have a digital camera. I use a Pentax ME 35 mm.
Then you just need a film scanner. I use an Epson flat bed scanner that allows one to scan negatives, but people here say to buy a dedicated film scanner but warning, these are very expensive. Then I process them using my software of choice, and a color printer to make prints. If you want large prints, I'd send the scanned and processed photos, out to a printer business. Shutterfly, Adorama, Mpix are a few I know about.
12-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hello

I know of Photoshop, Paintpro, etc for working with digital content, but what can be used to expose and manipulate 35 mm developed negatives?

Is there a machine that can be hooked up to a computer like one for exposing negatives to photo paper?

Thanks
I looked on Amazon and noticed Kodak and Magnasonic make entry and more advanced film scanners.

Anyone have a brand or model they prefer? Seems like jpeg is the only outsource format also.

12-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My scanner scans in .tiff and bitmap. .tiff is the most popular for prints.

12-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have a modern enough smartphone you can look at this: Kodak Mobile Film Scanner RODMFS50 B&H Photo Video
I never tried it, but taken into consideration how good smartphones now are you may get decent results.
12-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
If you have a modern enough smartphone you can look at this: Kodak Mobile Film Scanner RODMFS50 B&H Photo Video
I never tried it, but taken into consideration how good smartphones now are you may get decent results.
Probably not good enough to print though. And I don't like smartphones for anything other than calling or texting people. Getting decent results isn't getting printable photos.
12-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I looked on Amazon and noticed Kodak and Magnasonic make entry and more advanced film scanners.

Anyone have a brand or model they prefer? Seems like jpeg is the only outsource format also.
I use an Epson V600 for scanning negatives and slides. The software included with the scanner can output multiple formats including jpeg and tiff, among others, and includes some noise reduction capability. It can also scan 4 slides or negatives at a time. If you aren't happy with the Epson software, you can also use Vuescan by Hamrick Software to control most scanners on the market. As for processing the output files, you can use your favorite processing software and, as @photolady95 says, almost any color printer can print the files up to printer dependent sizes, with different quality depending on the printer and photo paper used.
12-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably not good enough to print though. And I don't like smartphones for anything other than calling or texting people. Getting decent results isn't getting printable photos.
I disagree. Please look at this Annie Leibovitz unveils photo series with Google Pixel
12-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
We can agree to disagree all you want, but I maintain the fact that using a smartphone can't produce the results most people want out of their prints, especially when smartphones only produce .jpg photos.

Last edited by photolady95; 12-08-2019 at 02:38 PM.
12-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello

Thanks
There are two paths. You can scan as discussed, or you can wet print and develop in a darkroom. Both can give similar results, and both can do things that the other can't do. Is the work color or b&w or a mix? Slides or negatives or a mix? (You mention negatives)

Film scanning services exist as well as equipment you can buy.
12-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There are two paths. You can scan as discussed, or you can wet print and develop in a darkroom. Both can give similar results, and both can do things that the other can't do. Is the work color or b&w or a mix? Slides or negatives or a mix? (You mention negatives)

Film scanning services exist as well as equipment you can buy.
When I develop the film they scan the photos to a CD. In jpeg format. Just thought with a scanner ir may be possible to save in a higher resolution, less compressed format.

I have negatives in a mix of color n B&W

12-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I maintain the fact that using a smartphone can't produce the results most people want out of their prints, especially when smartphones only produce .jpg photos.
In general I agree with you about smartphones not producing images as good as people might want for prints. But, my galaxy S10 shoots in DNG and automagically uploads right into Lightroom. I've not printed anything from the phone yet but I am impressed with the quality of the images I am getting when conditions are good. And that's the rub, conditions need to be very good otherwise the image quality goes bad very quickly.

I'm not sure I want to give up my dslr and lens just yet, but I am impressed. And this from someone who has ridiculed phone shooters for years.