Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
EXIF on scans?

Hello,

I'm trying to upload Dwayne's scans into the PPG. But it keeps rejecting it as "Not a Pentax Camera". I tried deleting and editing EXIF info but still not working. Interestingly, my own scans usually work. Any idea?

Thanks,

12-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No real idea here, just a wild guess. Perhaps there is a secret field that you are missing?
12-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scans typically write the scanner into to camera fields. Assuming you are wanting to use one of your film images in the monthly contest or the exclusive gallery, if you want it to be Pentax, you will have to use something like ExifTool to write the correct camera in or delete all of the EXIF. I do the former since I know how it is done. The latter is usually an option when writing a processed image. If there is no EXIF, the PF software should accept your manual entry of camera and lens.

Edit: Sorry for not reading your post more thoroughly. If PPG does not accept your film scans, you will likely need to get the proper process from them.

Steve
12-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

I'm trying to upload Dwayne's scans into the PPG. But it keeps rejecting it as "Not a Pentax Camera". I tried deleting and editing EXIF info but still not working. Interestingly, my own scans usually work. Any idea?

Thanks,
What type of file are their scans? {characters after period} TIF? JPG?

12-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
They are .jpg
I'll try a trick: I'll get one that worked in the past and overlay the new image to see if it works.

Thanks,
12-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
They are .jpg
I'll try a trick: I'll get one that worked in the past and overlay the new image to see if it works.

Thanks,
You may need a generic editor instead of a Pentax-specific one.
12-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am able to change the camera brand in the exif but still no luck. They may want digital only. Sent them an inquiry. Let's see if they answer.

12-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

There are multiple EXIF editors out there. I have changed the EXIF on a few scans I did with my old...old 35mm scanner. I changed the default "camera" from JPEG bla bla bla to Fujica and the "model" to ST-801. If you are on Windows, you could try out ExifToolGUI (note it needs to be modified to work at all and there is a thread in the forums with a link to a working version). Once you get to the point where you have a decent editor, changing the EXIF to what you need is pretty trivial.
12-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was able to edit the EXIF to show Pentax as camera maker and model, but still can't upload to the PPG. Disappointing as I can no longer upload as before. Sent them a note and got a reply saying basically "Modify the EXIF" with no further details. I did but did not work.
12-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you can modify the EXIF metadata to identify a camera and anyone can do it, what in the hell is the point of using it for accept or reject criteria except for drive-by photobombing.

EDIT:

There are two arguments to identify the camera with the EXIFtool. -Make= and -Model=. Are you setting both of them like a Pentax camera would?

Last edited by tuco; 12-16-2019 at 12:19 PM.
12-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
There are two arguments to identify the camera with the EXIFtool. -Make= and -Model=. Are you setting both of them like a Pentax camera would?
Hello,

Yes, I modified both. I actually took a pic with my K-01 and copied exactly like on that file on both fields with no luck. I'll try later tonight setting aperture, ISO, shutter speed and all that. But it makes little sense if all that is needed.

Thanks,
12-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #12
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If you can modify the EXIF metadata to identify a camera and anyone can do it, what in the hell is the point of using it for accept or reject criteria except for drive-by photobombing.

EDIT:

Technically, there is no point. However, the OP is trying to get the appropriate Film Era Pentax name into a scanned file so PPG's automatic recognition program will accept it.

Perhaps the OP is putting the incorrect Camera Model identifier in the field. Misspellings can catch you up on things like this. I know people are able to do it, I see several MX, MZ, LX etc. camera bodies when selecting images for the old thumbs up/down.
12-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Technically, there is no point. However, the OP is trying to get the appropriate Film Era Pentax name into a scanned file so PPG's automatic recognition program will accept it.

Perhaps the OP is putting the incorrect Camera Model identifier in the field. Misspellings can catch you up on things like this. I know people are able to do it, I see several MX, MZ, LX etc. camera bodies when selecting images for the old thumbs up/down.
I know the the OP is trying to modify a scanned file. That's what this thread is about. He also said he copied the output from his K-01 for those EXIF arguments.
12-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tried every trick with no luck. Also tried already accepted scanned images from a month ago:did not work. So obviously they changed something.
About to give up. Their loss....
12-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #15
PDL
Pentaxian

So what camera is it and what values did you put in which fields?