Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

USPS restrictions

Since a 35mm film cartridge is more than one-half inch in thickness
it now must be mailed in person at the counter of the post office.

That seems pretty clear to me...

Chris

01-15-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Citizens Photo in Portland, OR.
They're the cheapest I'm personally aware of. I use them frequently with fairly large batches (to keep my shipping costs in check relatively) of films I send via USPS flat-rate small box. Since moving two years ago I don't have local lab option less than 45-60 minutes drive so I've leaned heavily on Citizens since. I've used Darkroom.com, North Coast Photographic, and Dwaynes as well as a couple other one-offs, but Citizens has always been the best ratio of price/quality in my experience (e.g. I've gotten better results overall from Darkroom and NCPS but they're significantly more costly.)

90% of the time my orders are just dev only, with occasional push/pull, and returned to me sleeved but un-cut.
I stopped mounting my E6 long ago so can't recall what their mounting costs are. Slide frames are perfectly easy to mount yourself at home.

Photo attached of their pricing (which comes from a spreadsheet I made quite some time ago for price calculations using various mail-order labs which I send in my orders).
Note: the scanning prices listed are for their higher res scans; they've a lower-res, lower priced scan option available as well, $5 if I recall correctly.
Attached Images

Last edited by Eyewanders; 01-15-2020 at 02:33 PM.
06-17-2020, 11:49 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Pro Photo Connection ? Home is pretty darn cheap for being a solid, full-service lab. They're also one of the cheapest places I've seen film anywhere. Here are there posted prices as of today. These are without scanning, of course, and shipping is also extra. for basic scans, add ~$5 to these prices.
Attached Images

06-18-2020, 04:06 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
another possible option in Overland Park, KS:

QuoteQuote:
Premium quality photo prints - For people who love photos.
We make your prints using the highest quality materials, the best lab equipment, and the most friendly and talented staff in the country.
We take care to make the best prints possible from your pictures, including color correcting and hand inspecting each print.

Coronavirus message from Process One
We are accepting orders in-person, but we strongly encourage our customers to continue to send orders to us, rather than dropping them off.
Local film drop-off: Please download and complete a film processing order form here and bring it to us with your film.

We are taking and completing orders.

We have a minimum staff, following CDC guidelines with proper distancing, in our facility to continue to receive and complete online photo print orders, as well as film processing and video transfer orders. Most online print jobs, including wallet photo orders, will still ship within one business day.

While America has been staying at home cleaning out closets and finding film, slides, negatives and photos, we have been flooded with orders. As a result, our normal film processing turn-around times will be impacted. . . .

Following both local and national guidance, we have taken steps to ensure that our staff, customers, and your orders are safe. These measures include quarantining incoming packages for seven days, ongoing regular sanitizing of surfaces and packaging, as well as frequent hand washing and proper distancing between work stations. . . .

To keep both our customers and staff safe, we are currently not accepting cash or checks.

We truly appreciate your business, and your continued support.

Contact us by phone
1-888-562-7970, or in the Kansas City metro area at 913-648-0871 - If you have questions, and you can't find the answers on our website or in our help section, please give us a call!

Contact us by email
If you prefer you can send us an email: Send us an email. Send us an email.

Mailing address
Process One
7105 W. 95th Street
Overland Park, KS 66212Our business hours:
Monday to Friday: 9am to 6pm
Saturday: 10am to 6pm
Sundays: Closed
Process One Photo and Digital Imaging Lab

https://processonephoto.com/Online_Forms/Process_One_Order_Form.pdf

https://processonephoto.com/specials.htm

Personally I only get negatives and they scan a thumb drive I send in with my film

I see that they have already been mentioned:

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I've had good luck with this lab in the Kansas City KS area; Color Print Film Processing (C41)-35mm, APS, 120/220 developing

$4 / roll for c-41 processing. They will push on request and don't charge extra for it *in my experience*.

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-18-2020 at 04:14 AM.
07-17-2020, 03:38 AM   #20
Forum Member

I use TheDarkRoom.com (TDR) for all my film processing and scanning. I do manage to save a few dollars by sending in 3 rolls for every order. Return shipping is $5.99 for 1, 2, or 3 rolls. I only pay for the medium size scan, and find it quite useable for 11"x17" prints. Everything smaller is excellent. I've tried a few other labs and have never gotten the quality of results TDR provides. After several orders, they know what I want (density adjustments, color balance, please), and they nail it every time. They also push/pull process for $2, no matter how many stops. Most other labs charge $2-3 PER STOP. Oh, BTW, I use them for 120 (6x6 & 645) in addition to 35mm.
You can certainly find cheaper processing. Finding better would be more of a challenge.
01-14-2022, 01:08 AM   #21
Banned

ive used process one and pro photo, actually the ONLY mail order places i have sent film to.

And it has not been a good experience at all. I had rolls that when i posted photos on one board, the members said that the negatives had been in the processor when the processor had been shut down and left to sit and be ruined.

The folks that process tri x 400 and kentmere 100 at the same processing time.... THOSE folks.

And i believe they are owned by a seperate company that does the actual developing of film.

Yes, they can do an ok job now and then, but i wasted around 8 rolls of film in a 14 roll developing order to their shenanigans.

I have even heard of some "mail order labs" beign nothing more then some dude developing film in a paterson tank in his garage for you.
01-16-2022, 01:34 PM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've got a lot of rolls to develop and not much cash. I'm looking to get most of my stuff developed into negatives so I can scan them myself later (though I do want one or two rolls done now).

Anyone know of a reliable lab that doesn't beat up the wallet like The Darkroom does?
If you're shooting B&W, I'd echo a couple of other comments and suggest home developing. Having just started doing this in the last couple of months myself, the basic process isn't as difficult as I'd feared, and I've had pleasing results from my first two rolls despite making several mistakes (and learning plenty of lessons). It's exciting and remarkably satisfying... and if I can do it, I'm pretty sure anyone can. Depending on the chemistry you choose (and there's plenty of general advice and knowledge within these and other forums to guide you), it's amazing how cheaply each roll can be developed...

01-16-2022, 01:48 PM   #23
Banned

And on a side note you really need to be careful to read what each mail order place tells you will happen...

for instance, one says they will give you a set of small size prints with each roll they process... however they dont tell you on the main page that they charge you 10$ to scan the finished negatives to make their DIGITAL prints.... nor do they tell you they they charge an extra 5$ to email the photos to you.... adn that place charged 10$ a roll of black and white 35mm, and i believe 19$ a roll of 120
01-16-2022, 05:17 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmmaster Quote
I have even heard of some "mail order labs" beign nothing more then some dude developing film in a paterson tank in his garage for you.
If the dude knows what they're doing then that is normally listed as an extra cost. Like hand made . . .
01-16-2022, 05:30 PM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If the dude knows what they're doing then that is normally listed as an extra cost. Like hand made . . .
I learned of folks doing that on a post on a former photo forum i used to peruse.. They didnt MIND the fact that a person with no real experience was developing rolls of film in an unheated garage by hand in a paterson tank... WHat they didnt like was the fact the persons advertised as professional film labs, professional equipment, and that often the negatives would come back filled with pet hair.
01-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ZombieArmy, I think your strategy is flawed. You are first looking for a half frame camera [1] because you can save money by squeezing out 72 frames a roll, and then you want the film developed by a lab, which is the most costly option.

You should do the opposite, get a Pentax SLR (they are still very cheap), concentrate on B/W first, which allows you to shoot Fomapan or bulk roll, and develop it yourself.

[1] Recommendations for a decent half frame camera to experiment with? - PentaxForums.com