Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Looking for a lab that's cheap per roll

I've got a lot of rolls to develop and not much cash. I'm looking to get most of my stuff developed into negatives so I can scan them myself later (though I do want one or two rolls done now).

Anyone know of a reliable lab that doesn't beat up the wallet like The Darkroom does?

01-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Not sure how prices compare but I use Dwayne's Photo in Kansas.
dwaynesphoto.com
The quality and service are excellent.

In the past, I took my rolls to Walgreens and asked for develop only and not to cut the negatives. That was easy and cheap but they stopped doing that. You can still take it to them but they will send to a central location for processing. Haven't checked on the prices lately. Last time was like $3 per roll but that was over 8 years ago.

Thanks,
01-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I, too, am interested

here is a link to their cost sheet

https://www.dwaynesphoto.com/common/newforms/Color_Film_Devloping_Prints_Domestic_Shipping.pdf

I have no idea how their costs compare with other options

and their warning about new USPS regs requiring mailing of film canisters being done at US Post Offices only

Package Security Enhancements Begin This Month - Newsroom - About.usps.com
01-05-2020, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've got a lot of rolls to develop and not much cash. I'm looking to get most of my stuff developed into negatives so I can scan them myself later (though I do want one or two rolls done now).

Anyone know of a reliable lab that doesn't beat up the wallet like The Darkroom does?
Cheap and devolving film usually don't have a good outcome. The last thing you want is your film screwed up and a roll ruined.

If you want to save money on processing, then home development is your best option. Otherwise stick to a reputable place, as you're not going to find a huge difference in price if you're only getting a couple rolls processed.

As mentioned above Dwayne's is very good and I have used them over the years for some of my E6 & K14 processing.

Otherwise if you have a lab close by and they have good reviews then use them, you can save money on having your film shipped there and back. .

Phil.

01-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Cheap and devolving film usually don't have a good outcome. The last thing you want is your film screwed up and a roll ruined.
I agree, was just trying to find the best overall deal with good results. I don't exactly have enough money burning in my pocket for 12 dollars a roll
01-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had good luck with this lab in the Kansas City KS area; Color Print Film Processing (C41)-35mm, APS, 120/220 developing

$4 / roll for c-41 processing. They will push on request and don't charge extra for it *in my experience*.
01-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I've had good luck with this lab in the Kansas City KS area; Color Print Film Processing (C41)-35mm, APS, 120/220 developing

$4 / roll for c-41 processing. They will push on request and don't charge extra for it *in my experience*.
Any experience with E6 through them? I got a few rolls of E100 I want mounted nicely

01-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never shot E6. I would trust them with a sample roll at the very least. Call them; I've talked to the manager of the place, who also is "the guy who does the black and white film", and see what he says. I found them to be very easy to deal with.
01-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and their warning about new USPS regs requiring mailing of film canisters being done at US Post Offices only

Package Security Enhancements Begin This Month - Newsroom - About.usps.com
The link provided says nothing about film cannisters, only that
QuoteQuote:
Consumers who opt to use postage stamps to mail packages, or other items, weighing more than 10 ounces and/or more than one-half inch thick must conduct their transactions at a Post Office retail counter.
01-05-2020, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The link provided says nothing about film cannisters, only that
the notice was from dwaynes
QuoteQuote:
Important Mailing Notice
Mailing Film to Dwayne’s Photo. Beginning October 1, 2019, the Post Office has implemented new rules requiring any package more than one-half inch thick to be mailed at a Post Office retail counter. Since any package containing a roll of film will be more than one-half an inch in thickness, any package containing film must be taken to the retail counter of a Post Office for mailing. Click here to read the Postal Service announcement.
A trusted name in photo processing for over 60 years - Dwayne's Photo

I only linked the USPS info sorry about that

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-05-2020 at 07:19 PM.
01-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've used Fromex for some B&W film, and pretty good pricing too:
Professional Film Processing of all 35mm and 120 film at Fromex Photo & Digital
01-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I hear good things about sharpprints - Film Developing | Sharp Prints
They do $9 per film including scanning - and it's scanned at 6MP by a Noritsu HS 1800. I think it's probably the best or one of the best basic scanning jobs you can get. You can also upgrade to a high resolution scan (24MP) or add prints, for $5 more (but for prints there's also the postage back),
They only charge the same shipping fee regardless of how many rolls you process - 1 or 1,000... and it starts at $5.
If I shoot some film this year I'll develop with them.
01-06-2020, 08:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the notice was from dwaynes

A trusted name in photo processing for over 60 years - Dwayne's Photo

I only linked the USPS info sorry about that
Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll shoot Dwayne's an emai about it, since they are not entirely accurate...
01-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll shoot Dwayne's an emai about it, since they are not entirely accurate...
please keep us informed as to any answer
01-11-2020, 11:29 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
Maybe negotiate with your local shop? Tell them you have a bunch of film to develop, offer to pay cash and ask if they'll give you a discount. Can't hurt to ask. They might prefer to have business at a lower profit than none at all. And paying cash saves them at least 3% in credit card fees.

---------- Post added 01-12-20 at 12:30 AM ----------

Oh, and if you've got B&W, you might think about DIY. Initial investment can be a little steep (figure $75-$120) but once you get going the cost of chemicals is *maybe* a buck a roll.