Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Due to your water supply situation you've described, I'd stick to the classic acid stop bath and hypo clearing agent steps in your film development process.You may hear you can stop with water only and use an alkaline fixer to make a hypo clearing agent step redundant. But stopping with water really should take multiple fill and drains of the tank; whereas, an acid stop bath is only 30 seconds and a 1 liter mix lasts a while thereby lower water usage for that step. And a hypo clearing agent really shortens the wash time too.
+1! Generations of B&W shooters depended on these methods and they didn't let us down!

Congratulations on some nice-looking results, good shadow detail and smooth tones! You've done it now, welcome to the wonderful alchemical world of developing your own; I'm slightly envious since I remember how much I enjoyed it too.

02-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Y'all have me planning a trip to pick up supplies to make my first batch of caffenol. Hopefully the weather will clear enough to shoot some low ISO film though I have some Tri-X I can use. I bought distilled water today. Looking forward to trying this.

Phil
02-12-2020, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PWhite214 Quote
Y'all have me planning a trip to pick up supplies to make my first batch of caffenol. Hopefully the weather will clear enough to shoot some low ISO film though I have some Tri-X I can use. I bought distilled water today. Looking forward to trying this.

Phil
Some hints.
- You must find water free washing soda (also called soda ashes), backing soda doesn't work or you need to dry it in the oven.
- Use vitamin C in powder not in tablets (they add often something and is harder to dissolve).
- For CL, CLCS and CL-CN recipes you need a 0.1 gram precise balance.

Here some most used recipes :

You can also find help here : https:/www.facebook.com/groups/caffenol. Good luck.
02-12-2020, 03:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I picked up the wash soda(Arm and Hammer) and powdered vitamen c at Amazon... its very cheap... also picked up a small gram scale there.

AL

02-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
+1! Generations of B&W shooters depended on these methods and they didn't let us down!

Congratulations on some nice-looking results, good shadow detail and smooth tones! You've done it now, welcome to the wonderful alchemical world of developing your own; I'm slightly envious since I remember how much I enjoyed it too.
Thanks.

I use water for a stop bath and an alkaline fixer a lot because that is a requirement for developing a pyro negative. If you use an acid stop bath, it will remove the staining properties that you're trying to get with the developer.