Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #16
Pentaxian

$5 /36 frames = $ 0.14 per frame
$10/36 frames = $0.28 per frame

Perhaps just work the expense out for two ends of film price range and say it will cost between this and that. Trying to make it sound inexpensive using the cheapest, rebranded film you can find is probably not what people will end up using all the time anyway.

02-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
$5 /36 frames = $ 0.14 per frame
$10/36 frames = $0.28 per frame

Perhaps just work the expense out for two ends of film price range and say it will cost between this and that. Trying to make it sound inexpensive using the cheapest, rebranded film you can find is probably not what people will end up using all the time anyway.
Sounds like you have a project of your own to work on, or perhaps I will borrow this for the next time around. Thank-you for your contributions to this discussion.
02-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Nope, no project of my own. The film range prices plus the price range differences in film development and scanning will give people a good feel for what they can expect.
02-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I thought about Pro Image 100 although I find it to be not highly saturated. Almost the opposite of Ektar. But that might be fine!

Steve, here's a breakdown of the films that I think would be up for consideration, using today's prices with B&H (so searching for deals might improve things but I'm not bothering at the moment) and ignoring 24 vs 36 exp;

Lomograpy Color 100 - $14.90/3 pack or ~$5/roll
I tried a couple of 3packs of this film and here are some of my observations/results. However, it is suggested that this may not be consistent since later boxes may not even be the same film as I tried even with the same name.

Relatively wide latitude . . .

Relatively good grain. Seems like Kodak Gold 100/Fuji 100 color negatives - what I would consider as the best cheap film when they were available new.
Full res -> Lomography 100-2_01-15B

Nice colors . . .

I would not hesitate trying more of it today.
Outside of the film characteristics itself, there are so many variables that you really have to try under the conditions you shoot. Have fun!

02-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Les, thanks, good info. It does seem nicely saturated. You're right that it's hard to know what the film really is year to year. To my eyes the underexposed by 1 stop shot looks better than even or 1 stop above, but that's personal taste stuff.
02-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe not really affordable, but love the photos I get with Kodak Ektar in 35mm and 120 film. I like Fuji Velvia 50, thawing a few rolls now for a trip to the beach Monday. I have both C41 and E6 chemistry on order.

I buy old film on the big auction site, hoping that it has really been stored frozen. Buy a little, test, If good, buy more

Phil
02-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
PWhite, agreed, Ektar is great stuff. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually as part of whatever it is I'm cooking up.