Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,799
Way back in the previous century, my employer provided a slide projector so us sales reps could do product seminars for large groups and in the slide deck (real film slides, not bitmaps rendered by a graphics card) there would be computer generated titles and diagrams, that were printed onto sheets of transparent plastic. These transparencies would then be photographed with 35mm positive film to be duplicated along with "real" photographs and sent out to the sales force.

I suspect that some experimentation would be required to figure out how to digitally process the image printed onto a transparency so that photographic paper renders the image properly, but why bother going to the trouble if you don't want something that looks significantly different than a direct inkjet print? For a salesman's presentation to a group of technicians or partspeople, the content was the thing, no one cared about resolution or sharpness and in this instance, if resolution, sharpness and fidelity to the image captured by the camera is important, why not go straight from inkjet printer to paper?

04-18-2020, 04:05 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian
Wasp's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Pretoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,849
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I suspect that some experimentation would be required to figure out how to digitally process the image printed onto a transparency so that photographic paper renders the image properly, but why bother going to the trouble if you don't want something that looks significantly different than a direct inkjet print? For a salesman's presentation to a group of technicians or partspeople, the content was the thing, no one cared about resolution or sharpness and in this instance, if resolution, sharpness and fidelity to the image captured by the camera is important, why not go straight from inkjet printer to paper?
There is something intangible about a photographic print that cannot be duplicated with inkjet prints, I guess.
04-18-2020, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,840
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
There is something intangible about a photographic print that cannot be duplicated with inkjet prints, I guess.
And I would add that to me a gelatin silver, type C, or type R print has a TANGIBLE difference with an inkjet print. To a large degree everything can be simulated to match the analog print except the random grain or dye coupler that creates the image vs. a digital print's dot matrix.

That technical difference results in an aesthetic difference, and that's what I believe is the "something intangible" that is tangible.
04-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,914
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
And I would add that to me a gelatin silver, type C, or type R print has a TANGIBLE difference with an inkjet print. To a large degree everything can be simulated to match the analog print except the random grain or dye coupler that creates the image vs. a digital print's dot matrix.
Even the C-type digital prints are made with dots to approximate darkroom development, but it's not the same. Economics and convenience have driven out the completely analog process of darkroom image development.

04-18-2020, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,840
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Even the C-type digital prints are made with dots to approximate darkroom development, but it's not the same.
Good point and agreed for anything with digital sensors in the process. I was referring to RA-4 processing of Type C with analog color prints from film negs.
04-19-2020, 02:09 AM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,914
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is probably easier to simply print what we can to inkjet at home and have larger prints done by a commercial shop.
Long ago, I had an epson inkjet printer, not using it often, left it more than a month without using it, the print head clogged and I had to dispose the printer. I've looked into getting a Canon pro series, but despite the advantage of immediate test print feedback and potential cost savings by buying paper and ink in bulk, I'm not so excited about the idea of ink wasting self cleaning process and having to run test prints once or twice a week to prevent clogging. So today, my best option is C-type prints from labs, eventually sending some test prints on contact sheet before ordering larger prints.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
4k, cost, display, enlarger, experiment, film, ilford, image, information, intensity, kit, light, paper, phone, photo, photography, pixels, post, print, prints, projector, resolution, results, size, uhd projector
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M42 Enlarger Lens adaptaer help? ric_cr Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 02-24-2020 10:34 AM
Working with UHD 4K 100% AdobeRGB display - some questions BigMackCam Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 110 01-06-2019 03:07 PM
What 4K UHD Blu-ray do you recommend as showstopper. TonyW General Talk 13 11-26-2018 01:43 PM
Adapting a projector lens IgorZ Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 07-26-2018 01:08 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note III with 13MP stills and 4K UHD video ! jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 10 12-15-2013 02:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top