Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Way back in the previous century, my employer provided a slide projector so us sales reps could do product seminars for large groups and in the slide deck (real film slides, not bitmaps rendered by a graphics card) there would be computer generated titles and diagrams, that were printed onto sheets of transparent plastic. These transparencies would then be photographed with 35mm positive film to be duplicated along with "real" photographs and sent out to the sales force.

I suspect that some experimentation would be required to figure out how to digitally process the image printed onto a transparency so that photographic paper renders the image properly, but why bother going to the trouble if you don't want something that looks significantly different than a direct inkjet print? For a salesman's presentation to a group of technicians or partspeople, the content was the thing, no one cared about resolution or sharpness and in this instance, if resolution, sharpness and fidelity to the image captured by the camera is important, why not go straight from inkjet printer to paper?

04-18-2020, 04:05 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I suspect that some experimentation would be required to figure out how to digitally process the image printed onto a transparency so that photographic paper renders the image properly, but why bother going to the trouble if you don't want something that looks significantly different than a direct inkjet print? For a salesman's presentation to a group of technicians or partspeople, the content was the thing, no one cared about resolution or sharpness and in this instance, if resolution, sharpness and fidelity to the image captured by the camera is important, why not go straight from inkjet printer to paper?
There is something intangible about a photographic print that cannot be duplicated with inkjet prints, I guess.
04-18-2020, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
There is something intangible about a photographic print that cannot be duplicated with inkjet prints, I guess.
And I would add that to me a gelatin silver, type C, or type R print has a TANGIBLE difference with an inkjet print. To a large degree everything can be simulated to match the analog print except the random grain or dye coupler that creates the image vs. a digital print's dot matrix.

That technical difference results in an aesthetic difference, and that's what I believe is the "something intangible" that is tangible.
04-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
And I would add that to me a gelatin silver, type C, or type R print has a TANGIBLE difference with an inkjet print. To a large degree everything can be simulated to match the analog print except the random grain or dye coupler that creates the image vs. a digital print's dot matrix.
Even the C-type digital prints are made with dots to approximate darkroom development, but it's not the same. Economics and convenience have driven out the completely analog process of darkroom image development.

04-18-2020, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Even the C-type digital prints are made with dots to approximate darkroom development, but it's not the same.
Good point and agreed for anything with digital sensors in the process. I was referring to RA-4 processing of Type C with analog color prints from film negs.
04-19-2020, 02:09 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is probably easier to simply print what we can to inkjet at home and have larger prints done by a commercial shop.
Long ago, I had an epson inkjet printer, not using it often, left it more than a month without using it, the print head clogged and I had to dispose the printer. I've looked into getting a Canon pro series, but despite the advantage of immediate test print feedback and potential cost savings by buying paper and ink in bulk, I'm not so excited about the idea of ink wasting self cleaning process and having to run test prints once or twice a week to prevent clogging. So today, my best option is C-type prints from labs, eventually sending some test prints on contact sheet before ordering larger prints.