Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2020, 03:50 AM   #1

B/W paper lifespan

OK. I am very fortunate in that I have almost reached retirement age.

I started having a clearout and discovered loads of 10"x8" B/W printing paper by Ilford, Barfen and others in a cupboard in the "spare" bedroom. They are probably about 30 years old.

What is the lifespan of such papers? I seem to have a memory of developing papers degrading over time and losing their contrast.

Yes - I know - the obvious answer is to get all the kit out and try them and, if this lockdown continues, then I may well get to that stage.....

I've also found 120 roll film for my YashicaMat 120 and 30m rolls/tins of bulk 35mm roll film.

I suspect that they will all be ending up in landfill.

04-24-2020, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had some Ilford paper from high school photo club that was in a closet at my parent's house.... from decades ago. I gave it to a young darkroom enthusiast, and it worked nearly as well as when it was new. Development times were a little longer. You might be surprised.
If the film is B&W, it may be usable, but brittle. The tape at the end of the roll may have gone hard, making it challenging to separate film from backing or roll. If it got too much humidity, then it may have fungus. If too dry, static lightning bolts. These are cool if you develop them. Cosmic rays, background radiation too can leave interesting squiggles or spots.
Shoot some, develop it, and see, before you toss.
04-24-2020, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photo paper, unlike film, is a low speed, blue sensitive emulsion which almost eliminates issues background radiation. Aging of the emulsion itself is less detrimental than it would be for higher speed film emulsions, so papers age very well if kept in good conditions (in original packages and away from heat). Chances are those Illford papers are almost as good as new, but the film might be otherwise. Don't throw away good materials - if anything, check with local schools or colleges and see if they have any photo clubs or groups. They would be happy to get the donations.
04-24-2020, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Well, I made prints from 15+ year old BW paper stored at whatever the room temperature was ( increased in summer) and they sucked. Flat, low contrast prints from the fixed grade papers. I don't remember what the variable contrast looked like. I think the paper stands more chance in the refrigerator than at room temp.

04-24-2020, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It really depends on the storage history of the paper: heat and humidity are its enemies. If it's been in a cool, dry basement it is probably still quite good, but in a humid attic it probably died years ago. One trick the old timers used with past-date paper was to add a bit of anti-foggant to the developer, ideally a tiny amount of benzotriazole (e.g. Edwal Liquid Orthazite, which I think is no longer available, or solid, like Photographer's Formulary that is still available) or somewhat more potassium bromide (KBr). These can reduce the effect of heat fogging. First try making an exposure without additive, and if the contrast seems unduly low or the whites are not really white, then try the anti-foggant. Lots of references available online discussing their use as well as in almost all pre-digital photo darkroom books.
04-26-2020, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have used 20+ year old photographic paper and noticed no loss of quality,

Chris
04-27-2020, 01:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
Guess that I might need to order some chemicals and get the darkroom re-established . . . . . this Lockdown is certainly causing a chnage in habits, lifestyles and interests.