Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm looking for pro service to scan 6x7 transparencies to hi res jpegs - advice plz?

Hi - as in the title.

My Father in Law has 100's of 6x7 transparencies - many of which are excellent and he wants to try to save/scan the best of these.

Can anyone suggest either

(a) pro services that will do this for a cost? (UK preferably)

(b) scanners or tech that might allow someone to scan 6x7 slides (mostly mounted) to a high quality?

Thanks

08-16-2020, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #2

If there are many slides to scan (after picking the best) it may be more cost effective to DIY. Especially so if you or your father are still shooting film.

What equipment and imaging software do you currently have? What bodies, lens, tripods, light tables etc.?

I can't help you on recommending scanners.

Ricoh does make a film copier that handles Medium Format slides. You would need preferably a Full-Frame and suitable focal length (macro would be best) lens. The copier is expensive and might be hard to find outside of Japan but I think the Ricoh UK site has it listed in the store.

Another possibility is to setup a copy stand with a digital body (preferably Full-Frame), macro lens, light table and tripod.

See the linked video in the following thread for some ideas:
Digitize Negatives with Negative Lab Pro (Lightroom Plugin) - PentaxForums.com
08-16-2020, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't know if you would still be able to find one, back in the early 2000's Epson made a flatbed scanner with a film insert for 35mm, 6x7 and 4x5's. Model was 3200. When I was shooting 6x7 it was reasonable to scan at 1200 dpi and get good 20x24 inch prints from the scans.
Not sure what Epson would have now but with film resurgence it might be worth a look.