Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Getting back into film

My film bodies have been neglected of late. As my children are starting to take an interest in photography I’m letting them shoot both film and digital. However I have found it quite problematic where I live getting the film developed. They no longer develop in house and send them off take 1-2weeks to get them back. And I was shocked at the price. I don’t necessarily want to set up a dark room at home but I don’t really want to spend 20 bucks a roll locally. Any suggestions? I’m still pouring through all the great information here as well...
If your wondering we are using an *Ist, SF1N and PZ70

JJ

08-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing that you're getting scans and/or prints done along with developing?
Probably the biggest thing you can do to cut costs would be to get yourself a film scanner and do your own scanning. Typically, develop only with no scans or prints costs around $5/roll.
As far as having to mail out for developing, I think that is just part of shooting film nowadays, unless you start developing yourself.
The local lab that I have been using for the past 12 years has just closed, so anymore film I shoot will have to be mailed out for developing.
08-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My local store charges $6 for c41, $12 for black and white, and slide is more. They mail to a bulk processor, so it takes 5 days usually. This is without scanning. As a result, I develop bw at home and scan everything at home.
08-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I send all my film to Dwayne's for development since no longer any local place available.
Dwaynesphoto.com

Thanks,
Ismael

08-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I'm guessing that you're getting scans and/or prints done along with developing?
Probably the biggest thing you can do to cut costs would be to get yourself a film scanner and do your own scanning. Typically, develop only with no scans or prints costs around $5/roll.
As far as having to mail out for developing, I think that is just part of shooting film nowadays, unless you start developing yourself.
The local lab that I have been using for the past 12 years has just closed, so anymore film I shoot will have to be mailed out for developing.
It was just prints but yeah I can see how just developing might be cheaper...Guess I could scan and print my own.

JJ

---------- Post added 08-16-20 at 01:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I send all my film to Dwayne's for development since no longer any local place available.
Dwaynesphoto.com

Thanks,
Ismael
I’ll look into it...

JJ
08-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It might even be fun to develop some color film with your kids. It's pretty simple with only three chemical steps in a tank and drying the results in a dust free area. You do need to get a scanner though (or identify a scanning resource) since unprinted negatives tend to pile up and it no fun at all not to see whats on them

There are lots of places which do develop-only if you aren't into developing your own but then you're still stuck with the scanning. Shop around on the internet for "film developing" and "negative scanning" (a lot of places do scanning at the time of processing for less money).
08-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
It might even be fun to develop some color film with your kids. It's pretty simple with only three chemical steps in a tank and drying the results in a dust free area. You do need to get a scanner though (or identify a scanning resource) since unprinted negatives tend to pile up and it no fun at all not to see whats on them

There are lots of places which do develop-only if you aren't into developing your own but then you're still stuck with the scanning. Shop around on the internet for "film developing" and "negative scanning" (a lot of places do scanning at the time of processing for less money).
Great suggestions, I’ve been shopping scanners. Once they get their technique down I’ll start developing at home with them....

JJ

08-16-2020, 04:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Great suggestions, I’ve been shopping scanners. Once they get their technique down I’ll start developing at home with them....

JJ
Don't overlook the used market. Be a bit careful but you might be able to land a good scanner that way at lower cost (assuming it's in good working condition and is worth it). Read up a bit on scanners so you know what to look for in features like resolution, software, etc.

Good luck with your family photography initiative.
08-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Don't overlook the used market. Be a bit careful but you might be able to land a good scanner that way at lower cost (assuming it's in good working condition and is worth it). Read up a bit on scanners so you know what to look for in features like resolution, software, etc.

Good luck with your family photography initiative.
Thank you so much, yeah scanner research makes my head hurt, so should’ve got the Pakon before the price went thru the roof....

JJ
08-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the main reason I switched to digital, I loved working in the darkroom.
Live in a rural enough area where overnight means 3-4 day lead time and expedited = 5-7, so even getting chemicals became a chore.
How about any schools in your area. Our regional community college doesn't offer photography anymore but oddly both our middle and high schools do, both film and digital formats. They are always appreciative for donations of supplies from paper to mat boards. You might be able to work a trade with a few students.
08-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #11

I picked up a dark bag, a paterson processor, a few trays, a cheap led light table, etc. For the cost of <10 rolls developed and scanned I was set up to process ~40 rolls of B&W and ~20 rolls of color. I 'scan' using my K-1, pixel shift, 100mm macro and a tripod pointed down at the light table. I like the results I get better than what I was getting at a pro lab, at least on the scanning side. Developing is about the same, they messed up one of my rolls (that was the final straw for me doing it myself), I messed up one of the first rolls that I just could not get loaded on to the spiral and ended up developed but quite crinkled in some spots. I haven't noticed a significant difference in color balance. Maybe very slight in my E-6, but it's hard to say given that I can't exactly develop the same roll twice to compare.

The pleasure of having a roll ready to go in just a couple hours (~1hr processing, ~1hr drying) without leaving the house is pretty awesome, as long as you enjoy doing it and aren't on the hook for hundreds of rolls a month, I definitely recommend it.
08-18-2020, 03:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My film bodies have been neglected of late. As my children are starting to take an interest in photography I’m letting them shoot both film and digital. However I have found it quite problematic where I live getting the film developed. They no longer develop in house and send them off take 1-2weeks to get them back. And I was shocked at the price. I don’t necessarily want to set up a dark room at home but I don’t really want to spend 20 bucks a roll locally. Any suggestions? I’m still pouring through all the great information here as well...
If your wondering we are using an *Ist, SF1N and PZ70

JJ

Hope I didn't miss this, but are you doing colour or b&w? If b&w, film developing is quite easy and inexpensive to get a basic kit to get going. I do as the previous poster, fehknt, does: Paterson tank (b&w only for me) and "scan" 35mm negs with a dslr and macro lens. I shoot a lot of medium format b&w film, and for that I use a flatbed scanner (Canon 9950F) which gives adequate resolution for about a 16x20 to 20x24 print from a 6x6 cm neg. However, I have found that flatbed scans of 35mm film are really lacking in resolution and just don't make the grade, even for 8x10 prints. To get good resolution for a 35mm scan you need a drum scanner (crazy-expensive!) or use the dslr scan technique, which really is the way to go. It's remarkable how good this is, if the negs are well shot and processed...quality in, quality out. You can get some large prints that are sharp with great tonality from fine-grained 35mm film, a good lens, and good shooting technique. Check out the many tutorials on the web for dslr scanning....lots of info there.

If you're interested in developing your own, the Paterson tank is highly recommended. Easy to load and use, lasts forever. If you get a multi-reel model you can cut your processing time significantly by doing several rolls at once. Ask away if you have any questions on films, developers and techniques. Sorry, I can't advise on home-developing colour films, but apparently there are some good kits out now that make this easy.

Have fun with this! It's very satisfying.

Cheers,
Svend
08-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Hope I didn't miss this, but are you doing colour or b&w? If b&w, film developing is quite easy and inexpensive to get a basic kit to get going. I do as the previous poster, fehknt, does: Paterson tank (b&w only for me) and "scan" 35mm negs with a dslr and macro lens. I shoot a lot of medium format b&w film, and for that I use a flatbed scanner (Canon 9950F) which gives adequate resolution for about a 16x20 to 20x24 print from a 6x6 cm neg. However, I have found that flatbed scans of 35mm film are really lacking in resolution and just don't make the grade, even for 8x10 prints. To get good resolution for a 35mm scan you need a drum scanner (crazy-expensive!) or use the dslr scan technique, which really is the way to go. It's remarkable how good this is, if the negs are well shot and processed...quality in, quality out. You can get some large prints that are sharp with great tonality from fine-grained 35mm film, a good lens, and good shooting technique. Check out the many tutorials on the web for dslr scanning....lots of info there.

If you're interested in developing your own, the Paterson tank is highly recommended. Easy to load and use, lasts forever. If you get a multi-reel model you can cut your processing time significantly by doing several rolls at once. Ask away if you have any questions on films, developers and techniques. Sorry, I can't advise on home-developing colour films, but apparently there are some good kits out now that make this easy.

Have fun with this! It's very satisfying.

Cheers,
Svend
Should have specified but color for now, will probably pick up some B&W in the near future, Ordered a Lab box to try out, Might pick up a Pacific Image XA scanner and try the DSLR method. Not in a hurry and appreciate the feedback this is so exciting...

JJ
08-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Should have specified but color for now, will probably pick up some B&W in the near future, Ordered a Lab box to try out, Might pick up a Pacific Image XA scanner and try the DSLR method. Not in a hurry and appreciate the feedback this is so exciting...

JJ

If you try the dslr method, check out the Nikon ES-2 film holder. I have the v.1 of this, and it works great. Makes copying negs or slides a breeze. You will need a light source (LED light pad works well) and a macro lens.

ES-2 Film Digitizing Adapter Set from Nikon

You should get excellent results with colour films. Some of the colour negative films out now have wonderful colour rendering. Very unique.

Enjoy!
08-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
If you try the dslr method, check out the Nikon ES-2 film holder. I have the v.1 of this, and it works great. Makes copying negs or slides a breeze. You will need a light source (LED light pad works well) and a macro lens.

ES-2 Film Digitizing Adapter Set from Nikon

You should get excellent results with colour films. Some of the colour negative films out now have wonderful colour rendering. Very unique.

Enjoy!
I will put it on my list