Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #1

Scanning 35mm negatives

All,

I'm using an Epson Perfection V550 to scan negatives.

The negatives have been held in the original sleeves but I still seem to be getting dust marks and, in some cases, I can see dust on them,

Is it worth buying an air blower to try and remove the dust or am I going to need to use chemicals? I'm trying to avoid chemicals as I'm not confident in using them, I don't want to damage anything or get chemical everywhere.

Any recommendation for an air blower or, if necessary, chemicals would be appreciated.

I'm now using digital so this is probably a 'once only' project. I have about 15-20 films to scan.

Also, can anyone recommend a sensible scanning resolution? Storage space isn't too much of an issue but I don't want to waste time and storage space on scanning for detail that isn't in the original negative anyway.

Lastly I'm not planning to do any post processing, the purpose is just to have a digital copy of the photos. Therefore I don't think there is any disadvantage to using jpg?

Sorry for all the questions and any advice that my questions don't specifically cover would be appreciated.

Thanks

09-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If these are anything else but true b&w film then the V500 has dust and scratch removal (ICE), make sure to turn it on.
If you need to use a dust blower, don't use the canned version.
With the V500, use 2400dpi setting as there is nothing gained past it.
JPEG is perfectly fine unless you intend to post process grossly underexposed scans.
Good luck!
09-09-2020, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you haven't already done so, see if you qualify for the free download of Silverfast SE: Download SilverFast Scanner Software for your Epson Scanner. It's quit better than the Epson software, although a bit of a learning curve.

I use a rocket blower. It gets most of the dust off. For the rest, I've resigned myself to spot-remove in Lightroom for the print-worthy scans. Otherwise, I leave as-is.

For storage, I use PrintFile pages and store in a Vue All Safe-T-Binder.

My workflow is to scan are medium resolution (1200-ish dpi) to JPG. Then I import into Lightroom for keywording, etc. For prints, I rescan up to 6400 dpi (I know there's little gain but I may want to print big) to TIFF.
09-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
All,

Thank you for your help.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If these are anything else but true b&w film then the V500 has dust and scratch removal (ICE), make sure to turn it on.If you need to use a dust blower, don't use the canned version.
JPEG is perfectly fine unless you intend to post process grossly underexposed scans.
Sorry I should have stated that they are colour films.

Just out of interest - why not the canned version? Too much air pressure?

I found, and attached, an image I scanned which show the marks. I can't remember if ICE was on for that scan or not but I know I tried ICE and still had marks.

QuoteQuote:

I've had a few scans which are a bit underexposed. I'm still experimenting with the Epson software to see if I can improve it. I also had a few that were red/purple (maybe over saturated?), I can't attach any example of the over saturated ones as they are of people.

Thanks

Attached Images

09-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by as1981 Quote
Just out of interest - why not the canned version? Too much air pressure?
I use canned air prior to scanning and Digital ICE during the scan.

Steve
09-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Epson ICE isn't perfect but that example seems excessive so maybe try with ICE and everything else will have to be done in post.
Canned air that I've tried has had some liquid come out and that just aggravates the situation. Depending on the humidity n your area, static on film may be more of an issue attracting dust so a fine brush - or lint free cloth, going in one direction may be an option. I've found anything liquid is never a good option.
09-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, use gloves, blower and headband magnifier under a light source to inspect and remove dust. This shouldn't take long on such a small surface area of 135 canister film. The really small specs that will be picked up from scanning should be minimal and manageable for removal by scanning software (color film). I scan 4x5 sheet film. That's a lot of film area by comparison to have dust. But dust is rarely a problem for me. So small format should be a piece of cake with just a little effort.
09-09-2020, 09:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the warning about canned air is due to the fact that it can spray fluid onto your negatives which leaves a residue. This happens if the can is overly full or tilted so that liquid is taken out the top but if you use a partially full can and are careful, you're fine. I've used it a lot but just stay away from full cans and don't tilt the can when dispensing. If you are going to be doing a lot of dusting, however, compressed air (filtered) is a lot more economical.

09-10-2020, 05:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've used Static Master brushes to remove dust from negatives for about 50 years. The soft brush removes the dust, and it incorporates a polonium strip near the bristles that reduces the static charge that attracts dust.
I also use an anti-static cloth from Ilford to clean the glass on both the Epson base and lid.
That's the most effective method I've found.
09-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I've used Static Master brushes to remove dust from negatives for about 50 years. The soft brush removes the dust, and it incorporates a polonium strip near the bristles that reduces the static charge that attracts dust.
I also use an anti-static cloth from Ilford to clean the glass on both the Epson base and lid.
That's the most effective method I've found.
The polonium is radioactive and dangerous, even in small quantities. Not recommended.
The Ilford anti-stat cloths are excellent.
I use a Giottos Rocket Blower.
09-10-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
Forum Member

The polonium is encased inside a ceramic shell so the hazard is well limited, but nonetheless if you use a Static Master brush (as I have), please treat it with respect and keep it away from people other than yourself. Rocket blower is a good investment.