Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #1

Cleaning ball bearings in Paterson reels

Hi All,

I have recently been having some issues with residue on the ball bearings of my plastic Paterson reels. I am not sure which chemical is getting stuck on there but it means that there is some tension and gunk when I load a new roll onto the reel (120). It leaves some markings on the film once it has been developed.

I tried soaking them in hot water and detergent and then scrubbing with a toothbrush but it didn't really work.

Does anyone have any solutions for something that may get it off and clean again?

Thanks.

10-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you been processing cine film (remjet intact)? You might try ammonia.

Steve
10-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used Ronsonol lighter fluid to clean aperture blades and shutters. That may work.
10-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #4

Suggestion I've seen are to soak in dilute vinegar or ammonia then scrub.

Other suggestions are to remove the ball bearing and not bother with it at all.

10-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How well does the film "ratchet" and keep advancing with the ball bearing removed? I have AP reels which are a copy of the Paterson's and would assume the ball bearing is worth saving.

I do the *worst thing imaginable* to clean my reels, so really, don't do what I do; rinse the reels well after use, put them in a delicates bag, and toss them in with my laundry one at a time. Works great and so far so good. I've only done this a half dozen times so far but I think it will continue until something goes wrong and I'll complain about it here on the forum.
10-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #6

Just slide the film in without the balls. That's how my Unicolor reels work. If it binds just twist the reels a bit. Loads even faster in my experience.
10-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I rub my Paterson ball bearings with a soft pencil before use and ensure they're free to rattle in the slots. Seems to work! After use I wash tank and reels and jugs etc... in warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly and leave the reels split in two to dry naturally on the window sill after I've tapped them on a towel to get the bulk of the water off.
10-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always thought the discoloration was rust...

Chris

10-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davewell83 Quote
Hi All,

I have recently been having some issues with residue on the ball bearings of my plastic Paterson reels. I am not sure which chemical is getting stuck on there but it means that there is some tension and gunk when I load a new roll onto the reel (120). It leaves some markings on the film once it has been developed.

I tried soaking them in hot water and detergent and then scrubbing with a toothbrush but it didn't really work.

Does anyone have any solutions for something that may get it off and clean again?

Thanks.
Dishwasher (not dishwashing) detergent seems to remove just about everything.